Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You couldn't afford a future 4th rounder for him?
It isn't a source, it is a hunch tweeted by a journo that has been proven wrong time and again.

So prove it wrong. Come on, show me. Where's your proof. I've provided a source, come on now, show me your proof?

Scully, who nobody wanted, Wingard, kicked out by his own club (but they still managed to get the Hawks to sell the farm for him).

Not to mention the severe lack of young talent, lack of key position talent and overall poor quality of its list.

Yeah, much better placed.
We're a rabble of a club with only premierships to console ourselves.

Not sure prior years finishing position is a great indicator for who is close to a flag.
7 spots is a big difference. It’s the same between Ess and the Blues this year.

Should the Blues think they are closer than Ess to a flag? Or is it just when it suits your team?

Hawks finished 4th and ess 11th yet ess is closer to winning a flag!!

Big footy at its best. Some teams are awesome in the off season before reality hits.

You blokes are better placed too.

As are Adelaide, the Lions...

Come now Billy boy, you know as well as I do that the finishing position of one year is far from an indicator of the relative strength of lists going forward.

Wild bill following another essendon related thread to throw another unwanted opinion. Some trolls are awesome in the off season.

What exactly about his post was trolling?

You blokes are better placed too.

As are Adelaide, the Lions...

Come now Billy boy, you know as well as I do that the finishing position of one year is far from an indicator of the relative strength of lists going forward.
Top 4 is a good indicator. You can’t be weak and finish top 4. Hatred is making you under rate them.

I wouldn’t write off any team with Clarkson coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 4 is a good indicator. You can’t be weak and finish top 4. Hatred is making you under rate them.

I wouldn’t write off any team with Clarkson coaching.

But they didn't finish top 4.

They finished fifth - were trounced actually once put under finals pressure.

And Clarkson is, in my firm view - really all they have. That list is so poor as to be non-competitive with most decent sides without Clarko at the helm.

But they didn't finish top 4.

They finished fifth - were trounced actually once put under finals pressure.

And Clarkson is, in my firm view - really all they have. That list is so poor as to be non-competitive with most decent sides without Clarko at the helm.
I think you have gone over the top - Mitchell won the Brownlow last year - Wingard, Breust and Gunston are extremely dangerous forwards. Sicily and Stratton down back are guns. Smith and Scully could be the best wing combos in the comp if they get Scully going. They beat you twice this year - even when you were playing your best footy.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they finish in the top 6 again.

I think you have gone over the top - Mitchell won the Brownlow last year - Wingard, Breust and Gunston are extremely dangerous forwards. Sicily and Stratton down back are guns. Smith and Scully could be the best wing combos in the comp if they get Scully going. They beat you twice this year - even when you were playing your best footy.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they finish in the top 6 again.

Let me ask you a question, do you reckon you could list a similar list of players for another club? I'll do Essendon, purely from a position of familiarity, using your exact words and just replacing names (and the Brownlow reference obviously) - but I'd invite you to do the same for any number of sides.

"Shiel moved across this year - Stringer, Fantasia and Daniher are extremely dangerous forwards. Saad and Hurley down back are guns. Merrett and McGrath could be the best wing combos in the comp if they get McGrath going. They beat the Eagles this year, eventual premiers, at home, and did it easy."

My point here is, just about any side could be manipulated to make a list of 7-8 players that are of course impressive - most teams have them.

The difference is, most decent lists can fill that out substantially. What do they have beyond the names you've mentioned - and I'm not talking hopes and dreams, but actual players?

Burgoyne? Absolutely. Unquestionably. But he's 34.

JOM? Yeah ok, but Heppell shits all over him. Forget JOM's wicked guns, and the Shortsteppell Schtick; Heppell is a FAR superior player on output.

Shiels? Yeah, can play. Is he any better than Zaharakis. I mean, really? I pick Zaharakis deliberately too - what is he, sixth, maybe seventh in line in our midfield now?

Who else? Impey? Ok sure. McEvoy? Well ok, yeah. Henderson? Sure, starting to struggle a bit now for players.

Hooker, McKenna, Walla, Smith, Bellchambers - these are players that have unquestionably performed at a high level already, and with the exception of Bellchambers (due to teams playing a single ruck) would almost certainly walk in to the best 22 of any side in the game.

Then you go to the blokes that look like they have long careers ahead of them, not based on hopes and dreams but actually putting games together in Langford, Parish, Gleeson, Redman, Guelfi - and my personal favourite, Aaron Francis, who looks like he's about to embarrass both SA sides.

Not sure where to put Myers - can obviously play, but injuries, ya know...

Then getting in to the speculative, but if you'd watched closely look the goods - BZT, Ridley, Begley, Draper (seriously, keep your eyes peeled, this bloke will be a gun).

The Hawks simply DO NOT have that.

Now for clarity sake, this isn't a big swinging dick Essendon post (though I did enjoy typing it) - I'd actually love to see you do a North one, because it's the same. It's to illustrate the reason I think Hawthorn's list is crap, and why Shiel chose Essendon (and even Carlton) over the Hawks.

7 spots is a big difference. It’s the same between Ess and the Blues this year.

Should the Blues think they are closer than Ess to a flag? Or is it just when it suits your team?

What sort of strawman argument is this? I'm just pointing out that in the past two years previous years ladder hasn't meant a whole lot .

What sort of strawman argument is this? I'm just pointing out that in the past two years previous years ladder hasn't meant a whole lot .
Eagles played finals - won a final in 2017. Richmond was the only bolter. Like the Dogs winning the flag from the bottom 4 of the 8 - its the exception more than the rule.

Why did Wingard choose Hawthorn if we are so bad?

He did?

Seems to me he was damn near booted from Port.

In addition, Hawthorn reeked of desperation after Lynch and Shiel both chose teams in better shape to go to.

Back