Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If I had pick 3 and drafted a player of Shiels ability I would be rapt.
Also in this case we get him in his prime, no development required and his age is perfect for where our list is at.
lots of pieces fell into place.

Whats essendon starting midfielder now?

Heppell, Shiel, Parish, Merrett?

Hard to say, we've built a surprising amount of depth in there over the past few years.

FWIW, I think the players that will spend the most time in the middle are:

Shiel, Heppell, Merrett, Smith, Langford, Zaharakis, Myers, Parish - that's eight players, and all are best 22; so I suspect that's not a bad representation of our 'starting midfield'.

From there you start talking the guys that spend some time in there such as Guelfi, Stringer, Fantasia, Walla, McGrath.

How strong a midfield it turns out to be depends a lot on how Parish, Langford and McGrath go IMO. If all three are looking like legitimately strong midfielders; it should be the match of most in the league.

Heppell, Shiel, Merrett and Langford is who I want rolling through there mostly with Smith, Parish, Myers and McGrath the next in line.
That gives you two decent quartets rolling through the middle for Essendon in various combinations, without drawing on the likes of Walla, Zaharakis or Stringer.
Try and do the same exercise with say, Hawthorn and it’s very clear how shallow they are in the guts.

That gives you two decent quartets rolling through the middle for Essendon in various combinations, without drawing on the likes of Walla, Zaharakis or Stringer.
Try and do the same exercise with say, Hawthorn and it’s very clear how shallow they are in the guts.

The one thing Hawthorn does have, is top end talent.

If you assume all injury woes are forgotten, a midfield of Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully, Smith, Shiel is nothing to sneeze at - that's as good a top 5-6 as any club.

But yes, the depth is woeful (comparatively).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn though throw a lot more people through the middle.

One of the scariest things in their premiership years was watching a rampaging Roughy start in the square.

Mitchell, O'meara, Shiels, Wingard, Burgoyne, Smith, Scully, Worpel, Howe

There's your problem.

Not poo-pooing those players at all, but they are the reason there are doubts.

With a clean injury list, Hawks midfield is a tough proposition, but your depth is wafer thin.

There's your problem.

Not poo-pooing those players at all, but they are the reason there are doubts.

With a clean injury list, Hawks midfield is a tough proposition, but your depth is wafer thin.
Is it any worse than the Essedon list posted above? Langford and Parish are yet to prove they are anything special and Myers is a depth player.

Worpel had a great second half of the season once his tank improved and he got more midfield time, who knows what his ceiling is.

Howe is a fringe player capable of playing lock down roles on players, hardly a star but from our 8th or so best midfielder (before any of the younger players may go past him) is not bad depth from that position.

Sorry we don't have world beaters like Myers in our midfield :rolleyes:

Well put the Hawthorn-Essendon s**t aside, do you think I'm being unreasonable?

Here's the list you gave me:

Now here's what I said:

The one thing Hawthorn does have, is top end talent.

If you assume all injury woes are forgotten, a midfield of Mitchell, O'Meara, Scully, Smith, Shiel is nothing to sneeze at - that's as good a top 5-6 as any club.

But yes, the depth is woeful (comparatively).

You asked me if that is worse than Essendon.

Heppell, Shiel, Merrett, Zaharakis, Smith, Myers, McGrath, Parish, Langford, Fantasia, Stringer, Guelfi, Walla...

Do you really think I was being unreasonable?

Well put the Hawthorn-Essendon s**t aside, do you think I'm being unreasonable?

Here's the list you gave me:

Now here's what I said:

You asked me if that is worse than Essendon.

Heppell, Shiel, Merrett, Zaharakis, Smith, Myers, McGrath, Parish, Langford, Fantasia, Stringer, Guelfi, Walla...

Do you really think I was being unreasonable?
Well i was going off the Bombers listed above that wasn't including the players rotating through, if that is the case you can throw in Breust, Roughy, Impey, Poppy, Morrison etc.

Well i was going off the Bombers listed above that wasn't including the players rotating through, if that is the case you can throw in Breust, Roughy, Impey, Poppy, Morrison etc.

I know I can, and I stand by my statement - Hawthorn has top end talent the equal of any in the midfield, but it's depth is sorely lacking - do you disagree?

I know I can, and I stand by my statement - Hawthorn has top end talent the equal of any in the midfield, but it's depth is sorely lacking - do you disagree?
I think it could improve (our key position depth is what really worries me) and will somewhat depend on the improvement of guys like Worpel and Morrison. I would not have the Essendon midfield depth players head and shoulders above the Hawks as it stands.

Back