Games that left you shell shocked?

Remove this Banner Ad

I kind of had a bad feeling about that 2016 PF against Sydney and the 2013 QF against Fremantle (the Kardinia Park one), but the 2012 EF against the Dockers (the MCG one) seemed to come out of nowhere. I suppose any knockout final loss has an element of shellshock, but I can't remember ever losing a final when I don't think it had crossed my mind that we might not win.

That 2014 smashing at the SCG by 100+ was surreal, because I was actually there. It's a weird feeling getting done like that in foreign (but not particularly hostile) territory.

Of course, nothing can really top the Nick Davis 2005 SF though for a Geelong person.

I could even do a finals top three with the 1995 GF against Carlton.

Others that spring to mind immediately: West Coast's comeback at Kardinia Park in 2006, Brisbane's comeback at the Gabba in 2013 (both from 50+ down) and the final H&A round of 2001 at Princes Park, the game where we didn't manage a goal after quarter time and Darren Milburn nearly started a riot.

Swans losses that stick out:
- North at the SCG in 2004 when the trainer died and the Swans gave up a 40-point lead.
- Bulldogs in 2009 at Manuka. Barry Hall kicked the first two goals and the Doggies the next 13.
- To Melbourne at MCG by 12 goals in 2010 - the biggest loss under Roos. The game was memorialsed on BF by an obscene meme someone made out of McVaney's ridiculous ejaculations.
- 2014 GF.

The game that I think doesn't get enough recognition was the other Hawks v Cats spectacular in 1989. At Princes Park in R6 Cats were up 49 points at half-time, which was amazing itself, and then lost by 8 points. 51 goals scored.

Towards the end of 1992 Hawthorn and Essendon were both equal on points outside of the 8. Earlier in the year Essendon beat the Hawks, yet this day Hawthorn gave them a 160 point thumping at the MCG. 12 months later the Bombers would win the flag.

Round 6, 1991. Sydney kick 9 goals in the first quarter and 10 in the 2nd to lead North Melbourne by 5 goals at half time, 19.6 to 13.12. Swans then are outscored 14.14 to 2.2 in the second half, including being held scoreless in the last quarter and end up losing by 9 goals.

Yep, that was ******.
To make matters worse we were up the sth east end on the concourse & as McGovern gets his kick off it swings right. We all think he’s shanked it only for, well you know the rest…
It was an ugly kick and we were lucky to win, thats for sure. But i kept asking myself, "how does a team drop a game like that?" Your players should have wound down the clock but were trying to friggen score a goal! were the runners not doing their job in telling the time left? Were Port not trained to wind down the clock?

It was an ugly kick and we were lucky to win, thats for sure. But i kept asking myself, "how does a team drop a game like that?" Your players should have wound down the clock but were trying to friggen score a goal! were the runners not doing their job in telling the time left? Were Port not trained to wind down the clock?
Are port trained to run down the clock? History, especially against WC would say no. That game & the 17EF pissed me off ‘cause the players panicked, not something you’d expect professionals to do.
But Ports…

Are port trained to run down the clock? History, especially against WC would say no. That game & the 17EF pissed me off ‘cause the players panicked, not something you’d expect professionals to do.
But Ports…
Yeah i compared the recent GF to that game, when Shuey took his full 30 secs to "take a shot" from 70 out, Port players should have done something like that that. maybe they are not put in that situation in training much?

Yeah i compared the recent GF to that game, when Shuey took his full 30 secs to "take a shot" from 70 out, Port players should have done something like that that. maybe they are not put in that situation in training much?
They’re too nice & lazy to exploit a situation. Dumb coaching doesn’t help either.

Round 21 2013 WC v Geelong at Pattersons.

First game ever I left at quarter time, and the bar across the road was packed. Seems others left even earlier.

I kind of had a bad feeling about that 2016 PF against Sydney and the 2013 QF against Fremantle (the Kardinia Park one), but the 2012 EF against the Dockers (the MCG one) seemed to come out of nowhere. I suppose any knockout final loss has an element of shellshock, but I can't remember ever losing a final when I don't think it had crossed my mind that we might not win.

That 2014 smashing at the SCG by 100+ was surreal, because I was actually there. It's a weird feeling getting done like that in foreign (but not particularly hostile) territory.

Of course, nothing can really top the Nick Davis 2005 SF though for a Geelong person.

I could even do a finals top three with the 1995 GF against Carlton.

Others that spring to mind immediately: West Coast's comeback at Kardinia Park in 2006, Brisbane's comeback at the Gabba in 2013 (both from 50+ down) and the final H&A round of 2001 at Princes Park, the game where we didn't manage a goal after quarter time and Darren Milburn nearly started a riot.

I had similar feelings with the 2016 PF, but I was convinced we would win in both 2012 and 2013. I walked into the stadium for both of those matches pretty confident - in 2012 we were playing an average Freo on a ground we were familiar with, and in 2013 we were the best team in the comp and were on the golden path to the premiership.

2013 probably shocked me most (I was only four for 2005 so I don't remember it at all) but having seen and read plenty about '05, I can understand why it shocked everyone (and also how we lost the match too, which is quite interesting to read about)

in 2013 we were the best team in the comp and were on the golden path to the premiership.

2013 probably shocked me most (I was only four for 2005 so I don't remember it at all) but having seen and read plenty about '05, I can understand why it shocked everyone (and also how we lost the match too, which is quite interesting to read about)

It's a fair call. Heading in to finals we'd been dominant against the other top four teams throughout the season. It was probably just a combination of Fremantle being a bogey team, us having no real answer to Sandilands (and practically throwing up our hands and saying "we're giving up in the ruck" by not even selecting our one legitimate healthy ruckman to try to neutralise him) and that no-one seemed to be thinking the absence of Tom Hawkins was much of a big deal.

Ahh yes, the infamous Gee110ng game.
This place blew its collective load. I doubt Geelong have ever copped so much s**t over one game.

They’re too nice & lazy to exploit a situation. Dumb coaching doesn’t help either.
Those games are interesting becaue, clearly, you didn’t run down the clock as you probably should have. However, in the game we played against you I felt you played an incredibly disciplined 2nd half, where you had a moderate lead (~4 goals) and pretty much ran down the clock and suffocated us for a half. Once I started to realise you guys weren’t really looking to score, I thought you’d eventually lapse and we’d grab a few quick goals to make the game interesting. But it just didn’t happen, we only closed to ~2 goals. Perhaps that was something specifically trained that week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely Rnd 19 2004. 3/4 time, Sydney 16.4 North 8.12
A club favorite, trainer Wally Jackson RIP suffered a massive and fatal heart attack in last qtr on the sideline. North won by a goal.
Few at the ground seemed to know what was happening until after the siren. Just looked like a complete capitulation out of the blue. Then the crowd got wind of it :huh:

Those games are interesting becaue, clearly, you didn’t run down the clock as you probably should have. However, in the game we played against you I felt you played an incredibly disciplined 2nd half, where you had a moderate lead (~4 goals) and pretty much ran down the clock and suffocated us for a half. Once I started to realise you guys weren’t really looking to score, I thought you’d eventually lapse and we’d grab a few quick goals to make the game interesting. But it just didn’t happen, we only closed to ~2 goals. Perhaps that was something specifically trained that week?
The difference that week was you were missing Martin, & Wines was in his sealing a big contract phase.

A smashing was expected.... so I don't think that really counts.

The North 10 Goals up to Adelaide was weird.
there is a smashing, then there is a 100 pojnt loss and then there is a 186 point loss

I don't think anyone expected to see a team down by 100 points at half time

Similar goes for the 2013 elimination final Collingwood vs Port Adelaide. Not once did it cross my mind that week that we may lose and I don’t think it crossed too many minds to be honest - this was an experienced, well-drilled Collingwood hosting a travelling side of battlers and a few great kids so you could forgive most for expecting Collingwood to wrap this one up with ease.

So many chances in the second half to put them away when we had the lead but they wouldn’t go away, and they kicked the last four goals of the game to win comfortably. They were unbelievable that night.

Similar goes for the 2013 elimination final Collingwood vs Port Adelaide. Not once did it cross my mind that week that we may lose and I don’t think it crossed too many minds to be honest - this was an experienced, well-drilled Collingwood hosting a travelling side of battlers and a few great kids so you could forgive most for expecting Collingwood to wrap this one up with ease.

So many chances in the second half to put them away when we had the lead but they wouldn’t go away, and they kicked the last four goals of the game to win comfortably. They were unbelievable that night.

To say that I considered that result a silver lining to our own 'surprise' loss at home to Fremantle in the QF would be an understatement. 'Woo-hoo, guaranteed spot in the PF anyway!' Then Port travelled back to Melbourne for the SF and were on the brink of rolling us too.

Leo Barry you Star. Leo Barry’s now-famous mark in the 2005 Grand Final denying us to kick a winning goal after the siren.

The 131 point loss to Geelong in 2008 with Bomber Thompson munching on a sandwich in the coaches’ box after that tumultuous offseason.

But Ports…

We start running the clock down whenever we get in front and invite pressure for twenty minutes until we crack. See this years first showdown for another almost monumental utensil up.

The 2014 preliminary final.

I felt everything in that game. There was disappointment, there was anger, there was excitement, there was despair, there was pride, there was optimism for the future. It was both really sad to have not taken up such an opportunity but also one of the few games you can leave as a supporter with you head held high cause you know you took it right up to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back