Traded Braydon Preuss [traded with #62 to Melbourne for Tyson]

Remove this Banner Ad

The bits I watched he was bloody good at FF. Will create a big headache for opponents if we play all of TMac, Weid and Preuss.

The bits I watched he was bloody good at FF. Will create a big headache for opponents if we play all of TMac, Weid and Preuss.
The question mark is going to be whether him, McDonald & Weid can all function together in the forward line though

I don't think it was so much as they wanted to get rid of him but he asked for the trade and they obliged and got a player in a position of need.

It'll be a win/win trade.

Who is Goldstein's backup?

Why couldnt North play them both?

Its not like Norths needed another inside mid. That is one area they have well covered.

Good chance Norths will roo the day they let Pruess go! (Pun intended)

Going early with this one. This will be a huge win for Melbourne. Preuss is a beast and is dominating this practice match against Collingwood. The combination with Gawn this season will be fascinating to watch, especially with the new rules. Also noticed he has a few tricks as a forward. Why on Earth did North piss him off so easily when they have an ageing Goldstein?

Any North fans want to shed light on the situation? Maybe they know something I don’t. To me it seems Preuss will eventually become an elite ruckman of the game. He has all the tools.
We dont really know the motivation for North to trade him. I agree with your assessment of his worth.

Maybe he was frustrated and pissed at wasting years in the VFL and North decided it was best?

Seems pretty clear he wanted the Demons anyway.

Its not like Norths needed another inside mid. That is one area they have well covered.

Tristan Xerri is rated pretty highly at North I believe although he's young.

Actually they did need another inside mid so Ziebell can continue spending time up forward.

Last edited:
They would be a very dangerous trio with the amount of inside 50s you guys generate. Having said that you would want to lift your conversion efficiency because the ball would come out pretty easily/quickly, especially on the G.

Who is Goldstein's backup? Why couldnt North play them both?

Goldstein doesn't need (or generally want) back up. He gets very short term relief from the likes of Ben Brown.

As Dez! said, yeah, we did very much need more inside midfield cover. The view from afar is that North still have Cunnington and Ziebell (and probably Swallow?!) running through the middle. Wasn't the case last year. Tyson, and LDU when he's up to speed, will offer support at the coalface, along with Dumont who, while playing wing, gets his hands dirty inside. Anderson and Jacobs are hard, inside players, but not generally the 'first hands on the ball' types in the same way as Cunnington. It also means Higgins doesn't have to be inside quite as much. So, in short, yeah, we did need another inside mid for depth. We also needed more class on the outside, hence Polec and Hall adding some x-factor.

We may well rue letting Preuss go, but I sure as hell won't miss the ongoing misspellings of his name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldstein doesn't need (or generally want) back up. He gets very short term relief from the likes of Ben Brown.

As Dez! said, yeah, we did very much need more inside midfield cover. The view from afar is that North still have Cunnington and Ziebell (and probably Swallow?!) running through the middle. Wasn't the case last year. Tyson, and LDU when he's up to speed, will offer support at the coalface, along with Dumont who, while playing wing, gets his hands dirty inside. Anderson and Jacobs are hard, inside players, but not generally the 'first hands on the ball' types in the same way as Cunnington. It also means Higgins doesn't have to be inside quite as much. So, in short, yeah, we did need another inside mid for depth. We also needed more class on the outside, hence Polec and Hall adding some x-factor.

We may well rue letting Preuss go, but I sure as hell won't miss the ongoing misspellings of his name.

Goldstein wont last forever and what happens if he is injured say come finals or for an extended period?

Isnt he an UFA this year?

All of a sudden Norths seem to have a shallow ruck division and are very much dependant on one player.

Goldstein wont last forever and what happens if he is injured say come finals or for an extended period?

Isnt he an UFA this year?

All of a sudden Norths seem to have a shallow ruck division and are very much dependant on one player.
We recruited Tom Campbell as mature back up while we wait for Xerri to develop.

From the sounds of it Gawn never went forward today and Preuss was majority forward. Having Ben Brown assisting is probably enough. He’s 200cm anyway.
He was playing further up the ground when I was watching but I only saw parts of the third and fourth quarter.

Christ he's an aggressive unit though. If he plays like that in a scratch match he may well kill someone in the real thing.

Goldsteins a durable endurance athlete who is a super ruck and crap forward he only works in a 1 ruck system.

If you're asking why North didnt keep Preuss in the vfl for the next 2 years on contract as injury backup for Goldstein, thats a different question.

With McDonald and Weidemen as forward options I dont know if Preuss would play the whole season would he? Might make them a bit too top heavy with Gawn a lock to do most of the ruck work.

Given the age of Goldstein I have no idea why North let Preuss go. He was a capable player to step into number one.

With McDonald and Weidemen as forward options I dont know if Preuss would play the whole season would he? Might make them a bit too top heavy with Gawn a lock to do most of the ruck work.

Given the age of Goldstein I have no idea why North let Preuss go. He was a capable player to step into number one.

Depends a bit on whether Wiederman and Macdonald can apply defensive pressure. There's a perception that only short players can but I think that's overstated.

We have played Patton, Cameron, Himmelburg and Lobb in the past with Mummy rucking. Cameron has good legspeed as does Himmelburg who is also very strong below his knees.

I think we can play all three. However I won’t be surprised if Preuss or Weideman is dropped at some point if it’s not working. Tmac can also push higher up the ground is very agile and has a massive tank.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back