Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not normally the one to champion sub 180cm players, but surely Giro is in the team at the start of the season barring injury? From limited sightings his kicking seems to have improved and everything else he is more than handy at.

I like this side.
Three very good pressure forwards in there with the big blokes.
Banfield could end up being a Josh Caddy type who is taller and strong and hard to match up on. Could end up kicking 3s and 4s

Except that Caddy has always been a pretty reliable kick at goal or to a teammate. Do you think Banfield can make up the difference there?

Rd 1:
B Logue Hamling Ryan
HB Cerra Pearce Wilson
C Langdon Mundy B Hill
HF Matera Hogan Colyer
F Switowski Taberner Lobb
R Darcy Fyfe Walters
I Conca Banfield Brayshaw _________

From everything I have seen (including what players/ coaches have been saying), and barring more injuries, I feel like the 21 players above are likely to be selected for round 1. The final player could be anyone.

Matera probably not that popular from BF supporters but I think he will have first crack at one of the small forward roles.
I think you are right regards this round 1 team. With regard to the final player, your bench is an interesting thing to look at;
Conca; a defensive minded mid who plays back.
Banfield; a defensive minded mid who plays forward.
Brayshaw; a defensive minded mid who plays midfield.

Perhaps a player with less of a defensive mindset like Giro or Bewley?

I am not normally the one to champion sub 180cm players, but surely Giro is in the team at the start of the season barring injury? From limited sightings his kicking seems to have improved and everything else he is more than handy at.
Given his contract extension he has to be a chance. For me it would be an aggressive selection unless he was replacing an injured player (of the ilk of BHill or Langdon). North Melbourne also have a strong running midfield, so could well be a consideration.

Rd 1:
B Logue Hamling Ryan
HB Cerra Pearce Wilson
C Langdon Mundy B Hill
HF Matera Hogan Colyer
F Switowski Taberner Lobb
R Darcy Fyfe Walters
I Conca Banfield Brayshaw _________

From everything I have seen (including what players/ coaches have been saying), and barring more injuries, I feel like the 21 players above are likely to be selected for round 1. The final player could be anyone.

Matera probably not that popular from BF supporters but I think he will have first crack at one of the small forward roles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Think you are spot on with that. Good thing is we still have Blakely, S. Hill and Bennell (lol) to add to that team.

In terms of the last spot you'd imagine it'd be up for grabs from Ballantyne if Ross still backs him in to start the season, Giro, Bewley, Nyhuis and Duman. I personally would be backing in Nyhuis of the lot as a lock down small.

Except that Caddy has always been a pretty reliable kick at goal or to a teammate. Do you think Banfield can make up the difference there?

Stef was good yesterday. Hard running, kicking was neat

B: Wilson/Pearce/Logue
HB: Ryan/Hamling/Cerra

C: B.Hill/Mundy/Langdon

HF: Colyer/Hogan/Walters
FF: Taberner/Lobb/Switto

Fol: Darcy/Fyfe/Brayshaw

INT: Conca/Schultz/Banfield/Bewley

EMG: Tucker/North/Cox

Really hopeful on Schultz, think he can make an immediate impact. North should play a lot this year, that's an unbiased view ;)

Tucker and Duman are unlucky to miss. Dixon should be rubbing his hands together if any of our big 3 go down

Last edited:
Stef was good yesterday. Hard running, kicking was neat

Yep agreed, I think these players that can run all day and link play are vital in today's game. we might have a bit of a weapon developing with Langdon, B Hill and Giro in the same team.

Crowden was also very impressive with his tackling with no one escaping even a ruckman was stopped in his tracks, but just didn't get enough of the ball to replace Giro as my favourite to make the team.

My team will be controversial & it is for a best possible 22, injuries all gone:

B Ryan Hamling Logue
HB Wilson Pearce S Hill
C B Hill Mundy Langdon
HF Switkowski Hogan Walters
F Lobb Taberner Matera
R Sandilands Fyfe Conca
IC Blakely Giro Cerra Banfield

E Darcy Colyer Cox Brayshaw Hughes

Midfield rotations thus:
Runners B Hill Langdon Giro
Distributors: Mundy Cerra S Hill
Extractors: Fyfe Blakely Walters
Defenders: Conca Banfield.

Runners to play outside wing type roles.
Extractors to hunt the ball & give to distributors, ideally.
Defenders to block when we are winning the ruck, but to defend opposition mids primarily.

I know there will be those screaming for Brayshaw in particular & he was my next mid defender I would choose, & I ran out of mids. Ideally, it would be 3 of each type, so I had to drop one & I think the 3 runners will provide defensive support, particularly if they can rotate as a trio. Huge running power there.
There will also be those wanting McCarthy & especially Cox, but I couldn't fit them in.
Ditto Duman, but I have him behind both Logue & even Hughes who I think has potential.
And of course Sandi over Darcy is a big call. I think Darcy will be our number 1 ruck in actuality, but this is pie in the sky best 22, IMO

Come at me :cool:

My team will be controversial & it is for a best possible 22, injuries all gone:

B Ryan Hamling Logue
HB Wilson Pearce S Hill
C B Hill Mundy Langdon
F Lobb Taberner Matera
R Sandilands Fyfe Conca

Midfield rotations thus:

Defenders to block when we are winning the ruck, but to defend opposition mids primarily.

I know there will be those screaming for Brayshaw in particular & he was my next mid defender I would choose, & I ran out of mids. Ideally, it would be 3 of each type, so I had to drop one & I think the 3 runners will provide defensive support, particularly if they can rotate as a trio. Huge running power there.
There will also be those wanting McCarthy & especially Cox, but I couldn't fit them in.
Ditto Duman, but I have him behind both Logue & even Hughes who I think has potential.
And of course Sandi over Darcy is a big call. I think Darcy will be our number 1 ruck in actuality, but this is pie in the sky best 22, IMO

For sure Brayshaw is controversial, especially after having had a better year than Cerra. But regardless, I would easily have him ahead of Giro.

The other obvious ommission given you said it is a no injuries best 22 is no Bennell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B Ryan Hamling Logue
HB Wilson Pearce S Hill
C B Hill Mundy Langdon
F Lobb Taberner Matera
R Sandilands Fyfe Conca

Midfield rotations thus:

Why Giro.

I understand the running preference but you have SHill in and he wasn’t listed with your three runners. You have Blakely in and I would anticipate he would come off the half back line a lot so SHill would rotate forward then. So run I would say is covered without Giro. Would have Brayshaw over Giro.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

For sure Brayshaw is controversial, especially after having had a better year than Cerra. But regardless, I would easily have him ahead of Giro.

The other obvious ommission given you said it is a no injuries best 22 is no Bennell.

I see Cerra as a different type of player to Brayshaw.
For mine Cerra is more Mundy, while Brayshaw is more Conca, not that there's anything wrong with that, & I already had a couple of defensive mids in the team.
I accept the no Bennell is an oversight, so I'd probably switch him with Matera.

Why Giro.

I understand the running preference but you have SHill in and he wasn’t listed with your three runners. You have Blakely in and I would anticipate he would come off the half back line a lot so SHill would rotate forward then. So run I would say is covered without Giro. Would have Brayshaw over Giro.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I see S Hill, despite his brilliant running when fit, as having great execution skills, so elected to use him with that in mind. More runners of the highest echelon can only aid the team.
I think Giro has the potential to be another Tom Scully type, & along with B Hill in particular, could run opposition ragged.

Best 22 with a full healthy squad
Logue Hamling Cox
Wilson Pearce Ryan
B Hill S Hill Langdon
Bennell Hogan Walters
Switta Tabs Lobb
Sandi Brayshaw Fyfe
Mundy Cerra, Blakely Conca
Emg Duman, McCarthy, Darcy, Banfield, Colyer

Best 22 for me would be

Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Cerra
Langdon Fyfe B Hill
Walters Hogan Switkowski
Lobb Taberner* Matera
Sandilands Blakely Brayshaw
S Hill Conca Mundy Banfield
Emg: Colyer Duman Darcy Bennell

*my personal opinion is Cox should have that third tall forward role but all evidence this pre-season points to Tabs getting first crack. Wouldn't be surprised to she this change during the season.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Best 22 for me would be

Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Cerra
Langdon Fyfe B Hill
Walters Hogan Switkowski
Lobb Taberner* Matera

*my personal opinion is Cox should have that third tall forward role but all evidence this pre-season points to Tabs getting first crack. Wouldn't be surprised to she this change during the season.

A fit Bennell is not in your best 22?!!!
On pure talent the fella is arguably in the top 10 in the whole AFL!
My leaving him out was an oversight
Yours is perplexing IMO

Anyone else tempted to play Cox instead of Hamling? I would just love Hamling to be more offensive. Between him and AP, I think one really needs to play more aggressive - go the mark instead of the spoil. Run a little and kick longer. AP is ahead of Hamling in this regard. I would start looking for Hamlings replacement this off season, after securing a gun mid.

F15A31A4-E8E9-4484-B58F-AD85AEAE2C08.jpeg

Why he’s not trying to mark this ball, I do not know. Basically a Zac Dawson with better skills.

I see Cerra as a different type of player to Brayshaw.
For mine Cerra is more Mundy, while Brayshaw is more Conca, not that there's anything wrong with that, & I already had a couple of defensive mids in the team.
I accept the no Bennell is an oversight, so I'd probably switch him with Matera.

I see S Hill, despite his brilliant running when fit, as having great execution skills, so elected to use him with that in mind. More runners of the highest echelon can only aid the team.
I think Giro has the potential to be another Tom Scully type, & along with B Hill in particular, could run opposition ragged.
I like your best 22. Re Brayshaw, I think the club is still caught in the development/transition phase of the list, and Brayshaw is critical to that. I would have him in my 22 but can see the balance argument that you are putting here. I think we need to be more combative on the field, fiercer at the man and the contest, be more effective with the contested situation. Brayshaw brings that and earns his place because of it, but also is a good decision maker who will improve with experience.

Giro.... I don't see it for round 1, and not at the expense of Brayshaw. He would need to jack his production right up in games, not just in the 2 km time trial, but I can see why the club extended his contract.

Most teams would have at least a couple of players that would be debateable as to whether they fit best 22 or not, and in the end I think we have quite a bit of consensus. The debate about SHill or Cerra in defence, for example, is neither here nor there. Young guys (including Brayshaw and Giro) should be in on the basis of production.

Anyone else tempted to play Cox instead of Hamling? I would just love Hamling to be more offensive. Between him and AP, I think one really needs to play more aggressive - go the mark instead of the spoil. Run a little and kick longer. AP is ahead of Hamling in this regard. I would start looking for Hamlings replacement this off season, after securing a gun mid.

Why he’s not trying to mark this ball, I do not know. Basically a Zac Dawson with better skills.
Unfair analysis of Hamling. One spoil when maybe he could have marked in an intraclub shouldn't be extrapolated as if it is his only move. He was our best interceptor last year as well as being our best 1%er. He's certainly no Zac Dawson - spoil is the only option. He also had more disposals and a fair bit more metres gained than Alex Pearce - so it's inaccurate to say AP is ahead of him with rebounding as well. I think AP is capable of being far more attacking and I'm expecting to see more but until that happens it's just 'potential'. Hamling is our rock down back - hence why he is now in the leadership group.

I personally think the new 6-6-6 rule will make Hamling even more valuable. A negator that can also intercept is going to be really valuable. If we are going to give Alex Pearce time to settle in then we should respect that Joel has been holding up our backline singlehandedly a lot in recent seasons. He had some experienced mates alongside him at the Dogs, and I think he'll be even better for us once the rest of the backline settles - eg Pearce back to full fitness and Logue/Cox as KPD support.

I'm a massive fan of Cox and think the analysis of him as a defender based on the intraclub was similarly unfair. The poor guy had to play at the 2nd rate end of the ground holding up a defence alongside no other KPDs, except young Watson (is he a KPD?). Not ideal for the guy who won our best young guy award last season. I agree with someone else who said he's better at CHF than deep forward because he gets to use his creativity. It's the same with him in the back line imo. I do not see Cox as a Full Back negator type. I think he is far more McGovern like, playing off CHB with a primary role to use his reading of the play to roll off and intercept, and get the ball into the hands of a skilful rebounder as quickly as possible. His best work across half forward the past two seasons is very similar.

You compare that with Logue, who imo doesn't read the ball that well comparatively but has amazing athleticism so he can match up and potentially lockdown on anyone. A lot of people put him off half back because he can run but I personally think he's actually our (Rance like) Full Back in waiting. If he can develop into a player that can negate the best key forwards and then run off them or launch a 55m+ kick off one step that is going to be huge for us. It also gives us versatility to play Hamling more as a roll off interceptor. I think a few teams will play taller up forward this season and the good news for us is Hamling, Pearce and Logue are all quite quick and athletic.

We now have 4 big guys with complimentary attributes to play around with in our backline. Cox had to hold up our forward line last season, leaving only Hamling as our fully fit KPD last season. It should really help us not needing to play extra players behind the ball - nor leaving Hamling to try and defend two KPFs at the same time like he seemed to in a few games. Removing Hamling from that equation would be a massive mistake imo.

Best 22 for me would be

Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Cerra
Langdon Fyfe B Hill
Walters Hogan Switkowski
Lobb Taberner* Matera

My opinion is that with 2 games in 3 years he is a relatively unknown quantity on recent form. Needs to prove himself before we put him in the team. I'm absolutely open to having him in the 22 if he gets himself right.

Unfair analysis of Hamling. One spoil when maybe he could have marked in an intraclub shouldn't be extrapolated as if it is his only move. He was our best interceptor last year as well as being our best 1%er. He's certainly no Zac Dawson - spoil is the only option. He also had more disposals and a fair bit more metres gained than Alex Pearce - so it's inaccurate to say AP is ahead of him with rebounding as well. I think AP is capable of being far more attacking and I'm expecting to see more but until that happens it's just 'potential'. Hamling is our rock down back - hence why he is now in the leadership group.

I personally think the new 6-6-6 rule will make Hamling even more valuable. A negator that can also intercept is going to be really valuable. If we are going to give Alex Pearce time to settle in then we should respect that Joel has been holding up our backline singlehandedly a lot in recent seasons. He had some experienced mates alongside him at the Dogs, and I think he'll be even better for us once the rest of the backline settles - eg Pearce back to full fitness and Logue/Cox as KPD support.

I'm a massive fan of Cox and think the analysis of him as a defender based on the intraclub was similarly unfair. The poor guy had to play at the 2nd rate end of the ground holding up a defence alongside no other KPDs, except young Watson (is he a KPD?). Not ideal for the guy who won our best young guy award last season. I agree with someone else who said he's better at CHF than deep forward because he gets to use his creativity. It's the same with him in the back line imo. I do not see Cox as a Full Back negator type. I think he is far more McGovern like, playing off CHB with a primary role to use his reading of the play to roll off and intercept, and get the ball into the hands of a skilful rebounder as quickly as possible. His best work across half forward the past two seasons is very similar.

You compare that with Logue, who imo doesn't read the ball that well comparatively but has amazing athleticism so he can match up and potentially lockdown on anyone. A lot of people put him off half back because he can run but I personally think he's actually our (Rance like) Full Back in waiting. If he can develop into a player that can negate the best key forwards and then run off them or launch a 55m+ kick off one step that is going to be huge for us. It also gives us versatility to play Hamling more as a roll off interceptor. I think a few teams will play taller up forward this season and the good news for us is Hamling, Pearce and Logue are all quite quick and athletic.

We now have 4 big guys with complimentary attributes to play around with in our backline. Cox had to hold up our forward line last season, leaving only Hamling as our fully fit KPD last season. It should really help us not needing to play extra players behind the ball - nor leaving Hamling to try and defend two KPFs at the same time like he seemed to in a few games. Removing Hamling from that equation would be a massive mistake imo.
there was lots of writing so I got distracted and just picked out the best bit.

My opinion is that with 2 games in 3 years he is a relatively unknown quantity on recent form. Needs to prove himself before we put him in the team. I'm absolutely open to having him in the 22 if he gets himself right.

Agree. Bennell has done nothing in his time with us to suggest he is an obvious B22 player.
Yes, he's been injured. Yes it must be incredibly frustrating for him. And yes his career at the Suns suggests he has talent. But if you can't utilise that talent (for whatever reason) it's really not much use to the Club is it?
Even when he has played for Peel he hasn't exactly set the world in fire. Yes, I know that he has played limited minutes and had other restrictions placed on him. But his WAFL form didn't make him really stand out.
Given all his injury concerns and his actual WAFL output, if his name was, say, "Uebergang" instead of "Bennell", he wouldn't even be on the list right now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back