List Mgmt. Trade & Draft UltraThread- Warning, May Contain Speculation #combinethethreads

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question regarding mid season draft. Say there is a player we are heavily interested in but don't have the list room, would we put someone like a Barass for example on the lti list. So we could make room for said player? As in it might only be a 6 to 7 week injury but " fudge" it so we can partake in the draft?

Methinks we will see a spike in mid-season retirements which coincidentally will occur prior to mid-year draft/

On the mid-year draft. I am not sure the ins and outs of 'compensation' to clubs who lose a player to the draft but for mine the level of compensation needs to be ramped up. Let's say, and as example only, Souths lose Pickett and Schloite (sp?) in the mid-year draft that takes a significant portion of talent out of the Souths team. On top of this the coaches have developed plays, strategies and tactics using the skill set of the two players above .

All of a sudden everything is out the window and knock on effect is significant.

Note - not a souths supporter nor I suggesting the two players listed will be drafted but, you get the drift.

Methinks we will see a spike in mid-season retirements which coincidentally will occur prior to mid-year draft/

On the mid-year draft. I am not sure the ins and outs of 'compensation' to clubs who lose a player to the draft but for mine the level of compensation needs to be ramped up. Let's say, and as example only, Souths lose Pickett and Schloite (sp?) in the mid-year draft that takes a significant portion of talent out of the Souths team. On top of this the coaches have developed plays, strategies and tactics using the skill set of the two players above .

All of a sudden everything is out the window and knock on effect is significant.

Note - not a souths supporter nor I suggesting the two players listed will be drafted but, you get the drift.

Does the mid season draft only apply to ex AFL players or former Rookie list players ??

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair point, also if a player does get signed in the mid season draft, can they be signed for like 2 years? Therefore meaning that player could become a long term player for the club ? Or do they become available and have to go through the normal draft process once the year ends?
Does the mid season draft only apply to ex AFL players or former Rookie list players ??

Any player that previously nominated for the draft but is not currently on an AFL list, I believe? I.e. open slather on players no playing in under-18s comps.

Ok thanks

Does that mean the player still gets to play at the local club that they were playing for , when they are not required by the AFL club in any given week ..
That’s assuming they haven’t been drafted interstate..

Been thinking the same.

Some-one like McInnes decides to help the club out. Gets his pay for the year so doesn't lose out financially, and the club gets to try Schoilte(sp) or someone who may be the next T Kelly.

I reckon clubs will use it the way the Golden State Warriors re-signed Andrew Bogut for the last few months of the NBA season.

Address a particular area of weakness, find the best available state league guy and either give them a shot or have them as insurance. In a severe injury crisis we might go for another mid like Schloithe, but I reckon if we thought he could part of our rotation we'd have got him in for a whole pre-season. Lose a key position player or a ruckman etc. and the depth isn't the same for most teams. If we had no Kenedy/Darling and Allen/Brander weren't ready I'd rather see us pick up a state league guy than play McGovern out of position and bugger up the structure of the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be good we can't afford him !!
I think financially it won't be an issue, but Geelong would ask for a Petch or a Brander. The question then becomes, how much do we want to leverage our long term future. That's tended not to be the WC way and I'm fine with that.

Sometimes it works and you become Hawthorn, and win three flags. Sometimes it doesn't and you become NM. WC have always taken a steady handed approach. They will do their best to accommodate Kelly, but they aren't going to sell out players on the list or give away swathes of picks.

I think financially it won't be an issue, but Geelong would ask for a Petch or a Brander. The question then becomes, how much do we want to leverage our long term future. That's tended not to be the WC way and I'm fine with that.

Sometimes it works and you become Hawthorn, and win three flags. Sometimes it doesn't and you become NM. WC have always taken a steady handed approach. They will do their best to accommodate Kelly, but they aren't going to sell out players on the list or give away swathes of picks.

Don't be surprised if we send someone like Venables to them. Massive talent, but not living up to it.

Geelong might see the premiership winning, former 1st round draft pick as good compensation and a Dangerfield protege. Both teams probably swapping later picks to even it out (eagles send 2nd round pick to Geelong and receive 4th round pick back).

Don't be surprised if we send someone like Venables to them. Massive talent, but not living up to it.

Geelong might see the premiership winning, former 1st round draft pick as good compensation and a Dangerfield protege. Both teams probably swapping later picks to even it out (eagles send 2nd round pick to Geelong and receive 4th round pick back).
They would ask for a first and Venables minimum.

Marlion Pickett linked to Richmond. Will be slightly annoying if they grab him after Stack doing so well for them already.

Lets delist Masten, Mutimer and Mcinnes and draft some of these.
Brady Grey, Marlion Pickett and Declan Mountford would be good. Screenshot_20190509-181950_AFL.jpg

pick 12 is about 50/50 to play 150 games and pick 21 is about 50/50 to play 100 games.

In comparison to a top 10 in league player like gov or similar or a top 2 pick in a draft with 2 elite talents (on exposed junior form)? not a chance.
A few years back we had very similar picks and got Oscar Allen and Jarrod Brander.

Lets delist Masten, Mutimer and Mcinnes and draft some of these.
Brady Grey, Marlion Pickett and Declan Mountford would be good.View attachment 670385

I‘m pretty sure you can’t delist players mid season just to take draft picks.

Even if you could, they’re not delisting a bloke who has played seven of eight games.

Keep it to one thread mate, * me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back