Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn’t elaborate unfortunately but made it sound that Billy’s cards have been marked for a long time, which makes it all the more remarkable he is still on our list.
Just doesn't make sense. And if we're not playing him because of some obscure character flaw, then we're just cutting off our nose to spite our face. Maybe he just has a poor attitude toward Ken, and who could blame him.

I had the same confirmed to me yesterday by a former employee of the club.
I was told “Billy doesn’t help himself with his attitude”.
One way to change that attitude, give him the responsibility of being our main man at full forward, keep him busy, give him a challenge.

Nah.

Adelaide is flooding players back to compensate for their lack of speed in defence. You can only do that on smaller grounds, and only for a limited amount of time before they fatigue.
Their players are coming back from injury now. That will help them a little but I think way too much smoke is being blown up their you know what by the media.

Their players are coming back from injury now. That will help them a little but I think way too much smoke is being blown up their you know what by the media.

What players? They are all the same type - they aren’t built for a pressure game.

This attitude stuff sounds like utter bull****. Has been playing well, seems to be liked by the players whilst the epitome of attitude apparently rocks up to preseason overweight and gets the gig without even trying.

Maybe the so called “attitude” stuff is no more than “not prepared to get his rig out at a Chad Cornes BBQ bro-down”.

Koch, KT and Davies went to Ken's house and made him the 3 year offer that weekend after we lost the EF. It was their decison, they have to own it.

Those 3 have backed the wrong horse, and they know it.

The 100% soft cap tax means they are legally responsible if they sack him. They know that if we sack Ken and get slugged with it, the members will say they have to pay up for ******* up.

That's why they won't sack him, and Ken knows it. That's why this malaise I have been talking about for 2 or 3 years will continue because no one will make fundamental change.

Koch as a director can be held responsible under the new directorship laws, not so sure about the other two though REH, as they are only employees.

Which part of 13% forward efficiency doesn’t Hinkley get FFS? It’s all well and good to have “forward pressure” but it’s f@&king pointless if it doesn’t generate goals.
Forward pressure is great for once your talls have brought it to ground, or on the occasions they have missed and it's a kick out. It's a good compliment to marking and scoring forwards, as you won't always mark or bring it to ground. It can't be the whole cake though. It reeks of finding stats to justify how he wants to play (or at least who he wants to play, as we don't have a how forward of centre that is the same regardless of player availability).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koch as a director can be held responsible under the new directorship laws, not so sure about the other two though REH, as they are only employees.
It was a comment more about practical liability than legal liability. As the tax is imposed by the AFL they could go after the directors but it's more Koch, KT and Davies wouldn't get another job in the AFL industry and maybe not in professional sport in SA or rest of Oz. It would be on their CV''s as causing the first $1m soft cap tax fine.

As members we should chase them to pay for the fine.

Koch would be removed as chairman by the AFL. They appointed him.

I'm still of the opinion that dunderhead is basing the gameplan on metrics rather than football nous. I heard a stat not long ago and it was about the manner in which goals are scored across the AFL. From most to least it was something like turnovers in front half, stoppages, turnovers in back half, centre bounces and finally kick outs. So therefore based on this stat the most important game style is to create turnovers in your front half. So we base most of our forward play on how we can generate as many turnovers as possible in our front half. Therefore you pick players that can put the most pressure on the player when the opposition defence has the ball. We have played like this for years. We are always very high in inside-50s, very high in most time spent in the forward half, and very high in total number of stoppages.

And yet here we are being a very much middle of the road team in terms of scoring, and low in scoring efficiency.

Everything he says indicates to me that this is what he is aiming for, always talking about high inside-50's, forward pressure. But he is forgetting the most important stat which is that it has to result in a goal. It doesn't just magically happen because you get lots of repeat entries. You still have to have to players that can kick a goal too.

He is dumbarse masquerading as a footy intellectual.

I think they can ignore us for a while longer yet, and the losses, but when the $$$$$$ start biting due to lack of attendances then this can be there in to do what they seemingly can't do at the minute

If the club waits until they start haemorrhaging money and members, it will be too late.

Hinkley has clearly and (to use one of his hackneyed, platitudinous buzzwords) significantly damaged our football program. His contagion is now spreading to our crowds and our members. It will take time to repair the damage he has wrought. The new members we fail to attract, the existing members we drive away, the crowds who disappear; they won't all instantly rematerialise just because Hinkley goes.

If the club fails to act, and terminate Hinkley now with undeniable cause (as head coach, he has damaged our football program), I have no doubt that they will feel the financial sting of his ineptitude for years after he has gone. The longer they delay, the worse it will be.

Last edited:
Ive actually gone full cyle and I'm now actively cheering for whoever is against Port, bringing us one step closer to ending this s**t show

Ive actually gone full cyle and I'm now actively cheering for whoever is against Port, bringing us one step closer to ending this **** show
2013: I thought we would improve but this is going better than I expected
2014: Ken Hinkley is the first coach since Fos from outside the club, see where I'm going with this?
2015: Well that was weird but next year with Ryder and Dixon it'll be back to normal
2016: Huh, maybe he needs better assistants after all?
2017: well I'm starting to see a theme, but next year is his hail mary year so it'll be ok, wait wait we did what?!
2018: This is the biggest backflip of all time what on earth is happening thats not the runway at all
2019: Get out.

The Only way out of this that I can see is to demote him but keep him on the same money. Unless there are clauses in his contract that specifically do not allow this, it is the only feasible thing that can happen. But it won't.

Unfortunately, we'll get to the bye round either 6 and 5 or 5 and 6. Actually I can see us oscillating around that 50/50 mark all year, might even jag a couple of decent wins with a few of the better players returning. On the cusp of finals. The higher ups will see no need for change, the AFL most certainly won't, but the supporter base will just grow more tired and disengaged. The drop off will be deaths by a thousand cuts. The dreariness of winter will kick in, our young players who gave us spark will no longer sizzle, the old blokes will continue to do what they've always done....let us down.... and all the same dipshits will be in charge.

The Only way out of this that I can see is to demote him but keep him on the same money. Unless there are clauses in his contract that specifically do not allow this, it is the only feasible thing that can happen. But it won't.

Unfortunately, we'll get to the bye round either 6 and 5 or 5 and 6. Actually I can see us oscillating around that 50/50 mark all year, might even jag a couple of decent wins with a few of the better players returning. On the cusp of finals. The higher ups will see no need for change, the AFL most certainly won't, but the supporter base will just grow more tired and disengaged. The drop off will be deaths by a thousand cuts. The dreariness of winter will kick in, our young players who gave us spark will no longer sizzle, the old blokes will continue to do what they've always done....let us down.... and all the same dipshits will be in charge.

Agreed and a ploy often implemented in the commercial world.

I had the same confirmed to me yesterday by a former employee of the club.
I was told “Billy doesn’t help himself with his attitude”.

sounds like what the club says about us supporters. we should shut the * up and support our elite bearded KPF's and wear our teal t-shirts from 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back