Preview Round 16, 2019: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Blundstone Arena, Sunday 7th July, 3:20PM AEST *BILLINGS' 100TH*

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just sitting here basking in the fact that everyone (bar a couple of apologetics) is finally angry that White isn't getting a game. I've been angry about it for years and been told that White "doesn't try hard enough" or "rocked up to preseason out of shape" despite setting the VFL on fire and training PBs. Enough is enough. Too little too late though I'm afraid, I think he's likely to leave to someone like the Hawks who actually value players like him and become a gun hbf. :(

I'm just sitting here basking in the fact that everyone (bar a couple of apologetics) is finally angry that White isn't getting a game. I've been angry about it for years and been told that White "doesn't try hard enough" or "rocked up to preseason out of shape" despite setting the VFL on fire and training PBs. Enough is enough. Too little too late though I'm afraid, I think he's likely to leave to someone like the Hawks who actually value players like him and become a gun hbf. :(

You've been correct all along with this. He should be a lock in our back 6 yet The Cho is too stupid to make it happen. How could anybody select DMAC over White? Unless it was for a time trial I suppose...

Langlands’ form is some serious fluff from the saints website. 19, 16 and 20 disposals in his last three games isn’t even close to banging the door down for a midfielder.

I am a very look and see type person, I give players and coaches time.

Was accused of being a Richo lover all last year, last night was called a Richo hater
With White, thought he was inconsistent last year and after all we had to keep giving Weller game after game , this year he has been very consistent and was very good v GC.
At all games and training haven't seen him as 'lazy' thats the forum darling Acres, not White.
As the North supporter noted these selections smack of desperation. Instead of giving White a go he brings in tried and failed plodders like Newnes and a slow crippled old Armo. Dont even mention Rowe and Brown.
Richo is dead man walking and making selection decisions not for the future benefit of the club.
We may win this game with the ins but where is the future in those 4, with the possible exception of Newnes who can redeem himself.

But in the process of playing plodders we will probably lose White who has great upside.

Only hope is that the new coach recognises Whites ability and convinces him to stay because at the moment any chance he may of had at an AFL career is being destroyed by an implacable stubborn, closed minded coach.

The sooner he is gone the better.

Too little too late though I'm afraid, I think he's likely to leave to someone like the Hawks who actually value players like him and become a gun hbf. :(
Hopefully Clarko will keep him then when he takes over from Cho 😉

Here's who I'd have in a back six:

The Gorilla - traditional fullback
Shutdown Small Defender
Traditional Centre Half-Back - more mobile, more likely to take the mark than spoil
Intercept Defender
Hybrid Defender - can play on smalls and talls
Rebounding Defender

Savage is currently the rebounding defender, but I'd like to see White in that role.

Fantastic changes, hopefully they all come into the side. Newnes & Armo were terrific for us last game, and no doubt wouldve learnt their lesson after being in the 2s for so long. We sorely missed Brown the last couple weeks so hopefully takes Battles spot. And Sam Rowe, what an inspired selection, after not performing at the worst side in the league over many years, then being average in the VFL, i have a real feeling at the age of 31 he's just about to explode, should be an easy in for Wilkie.
I'm glad White isn't in, you can only judge someone off their last game and to me he looked lazy and fat, it could've been that he suffered an injury and was then forced to play in a position he's never played in before and ultimately helped us over the line but I just don't think he adds anything to the team.
And no way we bring Langlands, whats the point of rewarding a young player whos had good VFL form over the last 4 weeks when you have older guys that had to bust their arse in the VFL for the last 7 days,
All in all, fantastic selections.
#richocontractextensionplease.

Please don’t joke about that. If Richo get a contract extension I hold you accountable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whats the point? Can bust a gut play well ( as he has done every time I have seen him at Sandy), play well when called up then just discarded.

Reckon Richo has shattered the kid.

I reckon he is one who will leave us and will play well elsewhere. We will be kicking ourselves. The sooner the new coach comes in and shows him some love the better.

Plenty of good VFL players out there. Hard to make the transition to the AFL and White is clearly a prime example. 11 games over nearly four full seasons unfortunately just won't cut it. And the football department has a pretty good idea of our list in terms of who is good and who isn't. Haven't seen one player under Richardson's tenure get delisted and be a success at another club. More than likely they aren't good enough. I'd rather Coffield in his place anyway.

Plenty of good VFL players out there. Hard to make the transition to the AFL and White is clearly a prime example. 11 games over nearly four full seasons unfortunately just won't cut it. And the football department has a pretty good idea of our list in terms of who is good and who isn't. Haven't seen one player under Richardson's tenure get delisted and be a success at another club. More than likely they aren't good enough. I'd rather Coffield in his place anyway.

I would say that most of those 11 games were good, with the GWS game in particular being very good. But just when he gets his confidence up, he gets dropped.

I think he needs a few continuous games in the back end of this season and he will convince the selectors of his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say that most of those 11 games were good, with the GWS game in particular being very good. But just when he gets his confidence up, he gets dropped.

I think he needs a few continuous games in the back end of this season and he will convince the selectors of his potential.
Well I hope so but based on four years I don't know if that'll happen. Not you, but I don't know what it is but people here always seem to think those missing out in the VFL are always the better option. I just don't get it. I know it was a Thursday so obviously it's that time of the week to heap s**t on the coach and club again so I expect the inane comments to come through. I'd hope people would understand racking up possessions in the VFL isn't the only criteria to be selected.

And I've got really no idea why people are having a whinge in the first place regarding the in's. It's an extended bench, lol. Full team isn't released until this evening. As for Rowe, he is our back-up ruckman as Longer & Pierce battle illness. So oh, I don't know, maybe Marshall hasn't been feeling well this week or has a niggle so they put Rowe on the sheet as backup incase Marshall doesn't pull up. Or maybe Carlisle or Battle are touch and go. You know, because if Rowe isn't listed on the Thursday night we can't select him at all on Sunday.

Here's who I'd have in a back six:

The Gorilla - traditional fullback
Shutdown Small Defender
Traditional Centre Half-Back - more mobile, more likely to take the mark than spoil
Intercept Defender
Hybrid Defender - can play on smalls and talls
Rebounding Defender

Savage is currently the rebounding defender, but I'd like to see White in that role.
If we're fully fit then White's only way in is to push out Savage IMO so I agree with you there.

Fully fit for say, 2020, I'd go;

Geary Carlisle Wilkie
Coffield Battle Webster

Savage, Paton, Phillips, Clark rotating through half back and mid.

Just off topic (slightly), but when the season is well and truly gone, and when the Cho has either left the building or is in some sort of coaching coma attached to a life support system, I would not be against giving Sam Rowe the 1 game he needs to bring up his AFL ton.

The guy has been through a lot in life and the Blues left him stranded on 99 games. We then picked him up just before the season started which caused angst for the suburban club he had signed on to play for, and meant he had to suddenly work his guts off to get back to AFL fitness levels. He’s obviously come in and played an important role at Sandy, particularly with the unexpected loss of Longer and Pierce in the rucking stocks. Seems like a good bloke.

Like many fans, selection integrity is key to me.

But regardless, if I see Sam’s name in the 22 before the end of the year I will not be complaining and in fact will feel quite happy about watching him run through a celebratory banner

Just off topic (slightly), but when the season is well and truly gone, and when the Cho has either left the building or is in some sort of coaching coma attached to a life support system, I would not be against giving Sam Rowe the 1 game he needs to bring up his AFL ton.

The guy has been through a lot in life and the Blues left him stranded on 99 games. We then picked him up just before the season started which caused angst for the suburban club he had signed on to play for, and meant he had to suddenly work his guts off to get back to AFL fitness levels. He’s obviously come in and played an important role at Sandy, particularly with the unexpected loss of Longer and Pierce in the rucking stocks. Seems like a good bloke.

But regardless, if I see Sam’s name in the 22 before the end of the year I will not be complaining and in fact will feel quite happy about watching him run through a celebratory banner
same game as Armo's send off perchance?

ST KILDA

In:
N.Brown, D.Armitage, S.Rowe, J.Newnes
Out: Nil

It's almost as though Richo is begging to be put out of his misery… I mean that is the most stodgy and lame 4 ins I can ever recall seeing in one week, only Longer and Mav could top that off.

FMD. Make it stop.

Rowe’s only named in the unlikely event that Marshall can’t play. The club would risk a fine if it had to add a new name to the emergency list
He’s not actually going to play or close to it. But is currently the closest thing we have to a back up ruckman atm

Well I hope so but based on four years I don't know if that'll happen. Not you, but I don't know what it is but people here always seem to think those missing out in the VFL are always the better option. I just don't get it. I know it was a Thursday so obviously it's that time of the week to heap s**t on the coach and club again so I expect the inane comments to come through. I'd hope people would understand racking up possessions in the VFL isn't the only criteria to be selected.

And I've got really no idea why people are having a whinge in the first place regarding the in's. It's an extended bench, lol. Full team isn't released until this evening. As for Rowe, he is our back-up ruckman as Longer & Pierce battle illness. So oh, I don't know, maybe Marshall hasn't been feeling well this week or has a niggle so they put Rowe on the sheet as backup incase Marshall doesn't pull up. Or maybe Carlisle or Battle are touch and go. You know, because if Rowe isn't listed on the Thursday night we can't select him at all on Sunday.
I have always thought, well the coaches have the best vision of the players so the best players must be getting selected each week.

But.... players who have gotten selected though injury have done well or better.
Marshal only got a chance because the other two were injured. DMac got his opportunity last year and came top ten in the BF from not many games.

White has been inconsistent in previous years, and I didn’t think he would make it, but he has been consistent this year. He got his opportunity and looked good, then got injured.

From my view point he seems to be knocking down the door and deserves an opportunity. I’d give him a shot in front of Sav, but that’s just me.

I have always thought, well the coaches have the best vision of the players so the best players must be getting selected each week.

But.... players who have gotten selected though injury have done well or better.
Marshal only got a chance because the other two were injured. DMac got his opportunity last year and came top ten in the BF from not many games.

White has been inconsistent in previous years, and I didn’t think he would make it, but he has been consistent this year. He got his opportunity and looked good, then got injured.

From my view point he seems to be knocking down the door and deserves an opportunity. I’d give him a shot in front of Sav, but that’s just me.
Fair enough mate. At least you've made a fair point rather than just complaining lol. I don't think he is up to it, personal opinion of course, but I agree with you that if he were to get into the side I too think Sav is the weak link down there and would be first replaced.

I'm comfortable with where it sits anyway. If White is delisted I trust the football department have a good idea of him as a player and judging by our history on delisted players we don't make too many (if any) mistakes.

Well personally, I like to go what I see, and with White I see a constant performer at VFL level who then performs at AFL level then doesn't get a chance to settle for a few games.

All the while Newnes gets 123 straight games of bland nothingness, DMAC never gets dropped, Savage does less than SFA year in and year out and Armo, for all his efforts is cooked.

I am calling it as I see it. White is no Ledger or Tommy Walsh, and is certainly better than some of the above.

While others are given chance after chance White is left to rot. In my opinion, and it is an opinion formed over multiple VFL games this year.

Yeh * it, gifted games to enough blokes over the years why not give it to a guy who’s been at the club 8 months.

Well personally, I like to go what I see, and with White I see a constant performer at VFL level who then performs at AFL level then doesn't get a chance to settle for a few games.

All the while Newnes gets 123 straight games of bland nothingness, DMAC never gets dropped, Savage does less than SFA year in and year out and Armo, for all his efforts is cooked.

I am calling it as I see it. White is no Ledger or Tommy Walsh, and is certainly better than some of the above.

While others are given chance after chance White is left to rot. In my opinion, and it is an opinion formed over multiple VFL games this year.
Doesn’t really make sense...

‘Don’t gift games’
‘VFL form doesn’t mean anything’
‘It’s Thursday’

White is a funny one, no doubt his papers are stamped and that’s why he’s not getting picked which is in actual fact fair enough, don’t pick players who you don’t see having a future at the club. But I’m with you, everything I’ve seen of White at both levels suggests he’s not only good enough, but better than players we continually pick.
For someone as lazy and as unfit as he is, it’s probably even more impressive the performances he’s putting out at Sandy.

Moving forward I would like to see a back six of Paton, White, Coffield, Battle, Wilkie & Carlisle (Clav further down the track). McKenzie, Geary & Brown are either close to retirement &/or lack skill & composure which we drastically need in the back half.

For the last 6 years the club mantra has been “strong at the contest”, I’d like to be “strong at football”.

We’ve won about 12/45 games may as well try something different even if there’s some short term pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back