Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captained arguably our most successful era. Worked for RTB, GT, played with Lenny, BJ, Harves, Hammil...I reckon he’s qualified to have some authority on the subject of coaching. Also reckon if you don’t believe that then it ain’t nuttin but tall poppy syndrome, people just want to take the legend down. SMH.
I agree. I think Riewoldt's opinion is much more informed than any of ours, so I would trust his word over most others in the media for instance. What's interesting too is that those at the club toe the company line, in the current environment we're in they won't come out and say it's one way or the other. They just can't. However Roo can speak on behalf of them sometimes and I know he has done it in the past, where they'll feed him information and he'll give it as his 'opinion' when asked. Not to mention obviously he has formed his own opinion like any one of us, just that he is right in the thick of it so it definitely holds more weight.

My opinion of Richardson is primarily based on the teams performance and a little bit about what I hear behind closed doors, I'm obviously not there everyday or involved in the football program so when Nick Riewoldt answers questions on Fox Footy of if Richardson will remain our coach and he responds "I think he'll definitely coach out the year" it's a way of saying it without saying it.

He hasn't been wrong about many things at all involving our club since his retirement so I won't think otherwise now. Smart guy. True leader. Speaks highly of the President who ultimately will be part of the decision making process so I have good faith in them to run proper process and select a strong (pardon the pun!) candidate.

I agree. I think Riewoldt's opinion is much more informed than any of ours, so I would trust his word over most others in the media for instance. What's interesting too is that those at the club toe the company line, in the current environment we're in they won't come out and say it's one way or the other. They just can't. However Roo can speak on behalf of them sometimes and I know he has done it in the past, where they'll feed him information and he'll give it as his 'opinion' when asked. Not to mention obviously he has formed his own opinion like any one of us, just that he is right in the thick of it so it definitely holds more weight.

My opinion of Richardson is primarily based on the teams performance and a little bit about what I hear behind closed doors, I'm obviously not there everyday or involved in the football program so when Nick Riewoldt answers questions on Fox Footy of if Richardson will remain our coach and he responds "I think he'll definitely coach out the year" it's a way of saying it without saying it.

He hasn't been wrong about many things at all involving our club since his retirement so I won't think otherwise now. Smart guy. True leader. Speaks highly of the President who ultimately will be part of the decision making process so I have good faith in them to run proper process and select a strong (pardon the pun!) candidate.
How would it go down if the club was already leaning towards Ratten, would they still have process?

Billings
Gresham
Marshall
Battle
Webster
Lonie...

Improvement? Compared to their under 18 years? They are very good players. Some are only now finding form.

Who knows the players they could have become under a better coach, in a better team - same for all. Too many variables for me to be convinced of the coaches worth based purely on SOME players natural progression.

If it were all players, or if he'd taken poor players and made them useful I'd be more convinced.

The only players you could really put in that bracket are Geary, Wright, Weller, Bruce and Hickey.

If you're just talking about players that are fulfilling their potential under Alan, I'll see your list and raise you

Coffield
Savage
Ross
Dunstan
Acres
Steele
Newnes
Longer
Long
Austin
Phillips
White
Sinclair
MacKenzie
Rice
Clavarino
Pierce
Connelan
Freeman
Markworth
O'Kearney
Lee
Spencer White
Murdoch
Saunders

I'm not saying he's responsible for the spuds, a bad player is a bad player, but what has he done / did he do with those players?

I don't see improvement apart from expected improvement that would happen in any given (non-toxic) scenario.

Last edited:
Wrong thread but. For him to say that as a part of the Club is quite unacceptable. Just has struggled with his ability to be Club Judd and Media Judd

Don’t know about the former, but not overwhelmingly impressive in the latter imo.

I think the difference is Roo actually loves the club. Lethlean wants the club to be successful and will do the right thing for the club but I don't think he has the emotional investment in it that Riewoldt does and fair enough too.

I've said all along that I would prefer an untried coach over any tried coach (except Clarkson). I've said that I think Scott won't take us to a premiership but I can accept the decision if he comes in for a couple of years ala Roos and then have an untried coach take over from there. I really just echo Riewoldt's comments. It's fine if Scott becomes our coach but not at the expense of a thorough and diligent process.

Roos took the Dees job knowing it was a temporary job with a handover not too far down the line.
I can’t see BS being happy to do the same. He won’t just come in for a couple of years.

Roos took the Dees job knowing it was a temporary job with a handover not too far down the line.
I can’t see BS being happy to do the same. He won’t just come in for a couple of years.
That's fine. Just my opinion on the only scenario in which I would want him. If you think he won't do it, then I don't want him.

That’s ever. Already out of the game 2 years and goes back to America 2 to 3 months a year

He’s too smart to get into the coaching business I feel.
With his media profile and everything he is doing on the board for the MRV he could be anything.
He has the smarts, the personality and the profile. I could see him in some capacity at the club in the future definitely, but not on the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Riewoldt epitomises the culture of the club between 2004-2011, when we were ruthless, beating up on all those clubs who made us the laughing stock for 100 years. In my time I’ve never been as proud as a supporter as during the ‘Roo era’. He brought pride & hope to the jumper.

In the short period since his retirement he has already built up a reputation as one of the finest football analysts in the business. He can talk to just about any topic with a high level of understanding & convey it to the audience as if he is painting a picture.

I’ve been watching/listening to Roo on various shows & on every occasion he absolutely commands the room. Old, wise heads that have been in the footy industry for years really take notice & listen when he talks.

He is the best commentator in the media right now, but I wouldn’t be alone in saying that, & yes I’m biased. Can he do no wrong? Of course not, I couldn’t stand the way he shouted down kids when he played. But as a St Kilda person who bleeds for the club & as a person that obviously has retained close relationships with people of authority within the club, he is well informed, probably more so than anyone else in the media.

Why would “us”, “St Kilda fanatics”, not sit & listen to a guy we have admired for two decades, who speaks from a position of knowledge on matters involving St Kilda & who presents himself & his opinions in such a way? I think if you are paying attention to what he says you should consider yourself well informed.

I believe Nick is an extremely intelligent guy, he doesn’t just say things for the hell of it, he clearly has an agenda - He wants what’s best for the St K FC - Sure, Lethlean might want what’s best for the club from a professional point of view but Roo is like a fan & has an emotional investment in the club. Same goes for Bassett who I believe utilises Roo as somewhat of a confidant. With these two backing the club, I am confident we are in good hands even if it seems Roo is not overtly involved with decision making, I think he is to a degree.

As Roo pointed out last night, I simply one a proper process in finding a coach. If that occurs & we get Scott or Rats or whoever, I don’t care. As long as the club has made the correct decision based on conducting a thorough process & used the evidence put in front of them then I’m happy with it. If a mistake occurs, & the appointee doesn’t work out, at least the club can be satisfied they made the correct decision based on what they knew at the time.

I believe they want a completely fresh face.

Would Ratts stay on in some capacity if that happened I wonder?
All the assistant coaches are relatively fresh faces still after only one season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The board do and that’s why the coach is certain to go. We can keep looking to blame everything or we can get in with a new beginning. I’m going the second option. People are still blaming Welles icke. Not sure I see the point.

It’s actually Wells Eicke and he’s my mates grandfather.

What exactly are they blaming him for? Please enlighten me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would Ratts stay on in some capacity if that happened I wonder?
All the assistant coaches are relatively fresh faces still after only one season.
I'd really like to see who Ratts (and Gubby) could get to be his assistants.

That would be something to discuss, not the flaming obvious.

Edit: I didn't mean for that to come off as an aggressive insult to Diehard Saint, it wasn't attached to her post on purpose at all, but I just was wondering why we don't discuss Ratten's possible coaching team instead of talking about Richo, now it's unanimous that he's rubbish and will soon leave.

Last edited:
Improvement? Compared to their under 18 years? They are very good players. Some are only now finding form.

Who knows the players they could have become under a better coach, in a better team - same for all. Too many variables for me to be convinced of the coaches worth based purely on SOME players natural progression.

If it were all players, or if he'd taken poor players and made them useful I'd be more convinced.

The only players you could really put in that bracket are Geary, Wright, Weller, Bruce and Hickey.

If you're just talking about players that are fulfilling their potential under Alan, I'll see your list and raise you

Coffield
Savage
Ross
Dunstan
Acres
Steele
Newnes
Longer
Long
Austin
Phillips
White
Sinclair
MacKenzie
Rice
Clavarino
Pierce
Connelan
Freeman
Markworth
O'Kearney
Lee
Spencer White
Murdoch
Saunders

I'm not saying he's responsible for the spuds, a bad player is a bad player, but what has he done / did he do with those players?

I don't see improvement apart from expected improvement that would happen in any given (non-toxic) scenario.

That's actually comical.

How many of those have gone on to forge a career at other clubs?

Who have been our past B&F winners? Pretty sure Ross was one.

Steele has improved. Hey what about Wilkie?

So players who haven't improved are all his fault, but those who have, well that's just natural improvement.

Seriously? If you want to discuss, take the emotion out of it please.

Last edited:
That’s as likely as Roo coming out & saying that Watters was unfairly booted & deserves another chance.
Would prefer we appoint the singed dwarf.

Riewoldt epitomises the culture of the club between 2004-2011, when we were ruthless, beating up on all those clubs who made us the laughing stock for 100 years. In my time I’ve never been as proud as a supporter as during the ‘Roo era’. He brought pride & hope to the jumper.

In the short period since his retirement he has already built up a reputation as one of the finest football analysts in the business. He can talk to just about any topic with a high level of understanding & convey it to the audience as if he is painting a picture.

I’ve been watching/listening to Roo on various shows & on every occasion he absolutely commands the room. Old, wise heads that have been in the footy industry for years really take notice & listen when he talks.

He is the best commentator in the media right now, but I wouldn’t be alone in saying that, & yes I’m biased. Can he do no wrong? Of course not, I couldn’t stand the way he shouted down kids when he played. But as a St Kilda person who bleeds for the club & as a person that obviously has retained close relationships with people of authority within the club, he is well informed, probably more so than anyone else in the media.

Why would “us”, “St Kilda fanatics”, not sit & listen to a guy we have admired for two decades, who speaks from a position of knowledge on matters involving St Kilda & who presents himself & his opinions in such a way? I think if you are paying attention to what he says you should consider yourself well informed.

I believe Nick is an extremely intelligent guy, he doesn’t just say things for the hell of it, he clearly has an agenda - He wants what’s best for the St K FC - Sure, Lethlean might want what’s best for the club from a professional point of view but Roo is like a fan & has an emotional investment in the club. Same goes for Bassett who I believe utilises Roo as somewhat of a confidant. With these two backing the club, I am confident we are in good hands even if it seems Roo is not overtly involved with decision making, I think he is to a degree.

As Roo pointed out last night, I simply one a proper process in finding a coach. If that occurs & we get Scott or Rats or whoever, I don’t care. As long as the club has made the correct decision based on conducting a thorough process & used the evidence put in front of them then I’m happy with it. If a mistake occurs, & the appointee doesn’t work out, at least the club can be satisfied they made the correct decision based on what they knew at the time.
Well, nothing much left to say except I wholeheartedly agree. And you're on the money with it all.

That's actually comical.

How many of those have gone on to forge a career at other clubs?

So players who haven't improved are all his fault, but those who have, well that's just natural improvement.

Seriously?
OK let me try another way.

(BTW, I think my list of improvers is better. You could claim that Richo turned Bruce from a disposable defender into a leading forward, except like all current Saints players, his form is so inconsistent. He definitely has got the best out of Geary. He turned delisted Mav Weller into a defensive forward enforcer but then the spell wore off. He briefly found a similar use for Nate Wright.)

The players you listed; do you really believe that Richo is responsible for their 'improvement'? Billings was draft pick 3, he's just played 100 games, how much would you put on his inclusion in the 2019 AA final list? Bench or best 18? Gresham is a gun, but wasn't he always going to be? Even so, would you say he is consistently one of our best players? Lonie, you might have a case. His form took a dip, dropped right to the periphery of the list and was on the table, so far this year, was one of our biggest positives before injury. Why only this year though, not before? Battle? Maybe. Not many people saw him as a defender, but Alan took the chance, allowed him to bed in, luckily it worked. Marshall was a forward who didn't care for rucking, Was it Richo who insisted that he work on his ruckwork? Maybe that tough love he showed last year paid off. Webster was a bit wayward early on, maybe it's Richo that anchored him, got his consistency up and kept him on the straight and narrow.

So let's be optimistic and assume that it is the Teachings of Cho that have turned these GOPs into top players. Without Alan's sage advice Jack Billings would merely be another player from the top 10 that was a total spud. And now he's finally up there with the likes of the Bont and Jelly Kelly. etc

But what about the players who are still yet to realise their potential? If you are granting him the glory for Billings and Gresh, you must do the same for that much longer list of players who have so far either stagnated or developed more slowly than expected.

What about Acres' improvement? White's? Ross's? Newnes's? Dunstan's? MacKenzie's? Austin's? Clav's? They are not all bad players, surely? Their peers are passing them. Did we just recruit all the slower developing ones? Of course injuries and team performance play a part, but they have shown promise, why haven't they shown consistent signs of becoming our Cripps, our Lever, etc? Maybe next year?

I don't think it's Richo's fault directly, but their stagnation is happening on his watch. What can he do about it? He's their head coach. He is ultimately responsible for their development and has huge influence on the atmosphere in which they work.

The fairest assessment of Richo might be "he got good results out of the good players and bad results out of the bad players". So what was his influence exactly?

But anyway it's moot. We can never know exactly why certain players didn't come on, or did. I just don't think you can look at the performance or stats or eye test of any player on our list and say definitely "That's because of Richo", so I'd like to see Jimmy Bartell defend his comment.

Last edited:

Welles Eicke destroyed the club with his selfish attitude. The club has never been the same since he got a hold of it. Ask P66.

Welles Eicke is responsible for our modern woes. He began the slide into mediocrity last century. Plugger66 can fill in more. Welles has a lot to answer for. The youngest man ever to play for the club and the youngest to destroy it. 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back