Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few people on here think it is a "lay down misere" that Richo will not be coaching after this weekend.
But we are Stkilda, so we will probably fcuk it up by doing the most unlikely of things and winning this weekend; therefore, prolonging the Richo debate even more.
It's the Stkilda way. Most teams try to make the impossible possible. We seem to continually try and make the possible impossible.

A few people on here think it is a "lay down misere" that Richo will not be coaching after this weekend.
But we are Stkilda, so we will probably fcuk it up by doing the most unlikely of things and winning this weekend; therefore, prolonging the Richo debate even more.
It's the Stkilda way. Most teams try to make the impossible possible. We seem to continually try and make the possible impossible.
Winning big games can only be a good thing. We have won so few against the odds over the last few years. Probably our biggest weakness.

Winning big games can only be a good thing. We have won so few against the odds over the last few years. Probably our biggest weakness.
Winning is always better than losing Lewdogs but in the context of this whole Richo debate it just provides further uncertainty.
I just want to get back to a situation where I can just focus on the football rather than the future of the coach

Pierce has been totally mismanaged throughout his career. Chobot must take the lion's share of the blame as he's been the head coach for the greater part of his time at Moorabbin. If not Chobot, who would you hold responsible? To quote the great John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious! "

He has damaged the careers of those four I mentioned. I could name more. What a great success Alan has been. Give me a list of all those whose careers have flourished under him.
Gresham Steele Lonie Billings Marshall Membrey Battle Bruce Webster Paton Sinclair Wilkie Parker

PS - Pierce - 5 games in 5 years - 4 of them less than 10 possessions.

I'd be happier moving Richo on early and as early as possible, it's not just about the coach and the players it's about the whole list and understanding where the list is at.
Supposedly part of Scott's problem was that he told the board that the list needed a rebuild, the board disagreed, after the last 5 weeks the board will feel vindicated.
I'm not saying that we will get the same result but rather whatever the result is we'll know better whether the season has been the result of injuries or bad coaching or the players simply not having the talent and how much list imbalance has affected us.
Just one example if it turns out that Richo's use of defensive small forwards is the best we can get out of our forward line, then we have to cop that and look to draft and trade accordingly, if a loosening of the reins means our existing small forwards change their positioning at the fall off the ball and become dangerous in front of goal, then priorities change.

I don’t buy the narrative that Scott’s early exit was after a difference in opinion with the board. That’s just the PR that the Norf supporting media ran with.

He had/has been approached by another club & tried to leverage that for new deal at Norf (more $$ too). They were looking for a chance to get him out so used that.

I hope like hell that it’s not us who’ve offered him the job... I’m confident that Roo’s statements hold weight so the club will go through a proper process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From AFL 360 you can tell that Roo is in Richo's corner and would prefer it if he stayed. Thinks he has done well with the list this year when it comes to injuries etc.

Cant agree with him there. There is enough body of evidence over the last 2.5 years that we have stagnated and not improved at all when it comes to how we play against the top sides, how we compete overall and the yearly % that hovers around 80.
I don't think so - I just think he's determined not to kick someone when they're down and is toeing the company line re. timing of departure.

Yeah, agree with all of that. He also had a playing stint at the Lions when they were a powerhouse so got to see them first hand as well.

A better "on-paper" assistant isn't out there I don't think. Mitchell is great on paper too but Caracella shades him on experience and exposure to a wider variety of organizations. I always thought Caracella would end up back at the injectors once Woosha goes but, as he looks like he may hold on, we may be able to get in earlier.

Mitchell shades Caracella on a more important category.

A healthy dose of c u next Tuesday.

IMO we need someone who has the kudos to deliver some uncomfortable home truths to the players... which is something we’ve lacked with the Chobot.

From AFL 360 you can tell that Roo is in Richo's corner and would prefer it if he stayed. Thinks he has done well with the list this year when it comes to injuries etc.

Cant agree with him there. There is enough body of evidence over the last 2.5 years that we have stagnated and not improved at all when it comes to how we play against the top sides, how we compete overall and the yearly % that hovers around 80.

I don’t believe that to be the case at all. I think last year Roo was stung by the media for commenting harshly toward Richo. BT alleged Roo had an agenda against Richo & if he became a board member that would mean the end of him as coach.

What I think Roo is doing this year by avoiding a negative opinion toward Richo, & even supporting him, is distancing himself from when a decision to sack Richo is made by the club.

To the best of my knowledge,Roo has not once stated he thinks Richo should be coach beyond this year. He has maintained the position that Richo has done well his year all things considered, that Richo will retain his job if he meets the contract clause & that Richo is paying for last year. Not once has Roo publicly supported the idea that Richo should coach next year based on ‘overachieving’ this year or for any other reason.

I don’t believe that to be the case at all. I think last year Roo was stung by the media for commenting harshly toward Richo. BT alleged Roo had an agenda against Richo & if he became a board member that would mean the end of him as coach.

What I think Roo is doing this year by avoiding a negative opinion toward Richo, & even supporting him, is distancing himself from when a decision to sack Richo is made by the club.

To the best of my knowledge,Roo has not once stated he thinks Richo should be coach beyond this year. He has maintained the position that Richo has done well his year all things considered, that Richo will retain his job if he meets the contract clause & that Richo is paying for last year. Not once has Roo publicly supported the idea that Richo should coach next year based on ‘overachieving’ this year or for any other reason.
Pretty sure Roo would be a fixture at the club and would be pretty hard rocking up there if he was slagging Richardson on the media all of the time.

Is Lethers moving to the CEO spot & moving us to some backwater?

funny thing is maybe it was necessary. maybe we had to walk away for all forms of government to move in and back the development of moorabbin.

sometimes you just have to walk away and wait for the environment to change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Roo would be a fixture at the club and would be pretty hard rocking up there if he was slagging Richardson on the media all of the time.

Actually talk about that on SEN this morning if you want to chase it down. Said he found it hard to get the balance right last year with media comments on the club.

Ok if you think so. Not worth my typing time.
I was just thinking the same. Why did I bother? I don't know. Another Monty Python Style argument sketch from you. Cheers.
Then why hasn't the Brett Ratten influence fixed it? You're also dreaming if you think clubs will offer a second rounder for Dunstan. Wasn't he shopped around last year but there was only very mild interest?
He's having a better year than last. Second round is stretching it, but not impossible if he finishes the year we'll.

I've questioned Ratten's performance given our inability to score, however he's been there for less than a year, so give him a break. After all he works for Chobot and that can't be easy. It would be interesting if Chobot gets sacked and Ratts is given 4-5 games to show off his wares as the main man, to see if there is a difference. I bet it there would be, Teague and Shaw style.

And sack Chobot.

Last edited:
Mitchell shades Caracella on a more important category.

A healthy dose of c u next Tuesday.

IMO we need someone who has the kudos to deliver some uncomfortable home truths to the players... which is something we’ve lacked with the Chobot.

This is why i would like Lenny

Gresham Steele Lonie Billings Marshall Membrey Battle Bruce Webster Paton Sinclair Wilkie Parker

PS - Pierce - 5 games in 5 years - 4 of them less than 10 possessions.
I'll give you the first five, but the rest? I doubt any of them have improved significantly. Parker and Willie are in there first year. Time would tell if they were to be Chobotted.

As for Pierce, he has been completely mismanaged. Right from the start. Promising debut and then nothing for two years. Somebody on here posted that Chobot had not even bothered to watch him in his year at Frankston, where he did well. Outstanding coaching.

If only five, or even 10 players have made significant progress under your coaching, it speaks volumes. Has taken us back to the starting point as a team and club when He began . 15-16th awaits.

And sack Chobot.

I'll give you the first five, but the rest? I doubt any of them have improved significantly. Parker and Willie are in there first year. Time would tell if they were to be Chobotted.

As for Pierce, he has been completely mismanaged. Right from the start. Promising debut and then nothing for two years. Somebody on here posted that Chobot had not even bothered to watch him in his year at Frankston, where he did well. Outstanding coaching.

If only five, or even 10 players have made significant progress under your coaching, it speaks volumes. Has taken us back to the starting point as a team and club when He began . 15-16th awaits.

And sack Chobot.
Tim Membrey - joined St Kilda as a delisted free agent who couldn't get a game at Sydney. 85 games averaging just shy of 2 goals a game. Improved or not?

Josh Battle Pick 39 - forward now playing as as tall defender - last full game 20 possessions including 11 marks. Improved or not?

Josh Bruce - joined Saints in 2014 as a failed chb. Now averaging 1.5 goals a game in a team with the worst disposal skills in the league. Kicked 6 in his last outing. Improved or not?

Jimmy Webster Pick 42 - Starting 22 already surpassed the average amount of games played by a Pick 42. Improved or not?

Jack Sinclair Pick 1 Rookie draft - 80 games. Improved or not?

PS Do you really really think that the most valuable use of a Senior Coach's time is to spend it watching the 4th in line ruckman run around for Frankston when the coach of Frankston was the ruck coach at St Kilda?

We just found a new nickname for Alan. The Chobot😃. Love it. You win the internet today, Spetchamen. Well played, sir!
33ug1m8.jpg

Tim Membrey - joined St Kilda as a delisted free agent who couldn't get a game at Sydney. 85 games averaging just shy of 2 goals a game. Improved or not?

Josh Battle Pick 39 - forward now playing as as tall defender - last full game 20 possessions including 11 marks. Improved or not?

Josh Bruce - joined Saints in 2014 as a failed chb. Now averaging 1.5 goals a game in a team with the worst disposal skills in the league. Kicked 6 in his last outing. Improved or not?

Jimmy Webster Pick 42 - Starting 22 already surpassed the average amount of games played by a Pick 42. Improved or not?

PS Do you really really think that the most valuable use of a Senior Coach's time is to spend it watching the 4th in line ruckman run around for Frankston when the coach of Frankston was the ruck coach at St Kilda?

I've recently lowered my best time for 5km run from 25 minutes to 21. I'm still shithouse compared to good athletes in my age group. Which is my point. I've improved but would improve more with a good trainer and more motivation.

Forgot Battle, but you're stretching it with the others. Nice cherry picking with Bwooce. How many times has he kicked 6 in a game? Kicked more than 50 in 2015. Gone nowhere near bettering that in the past 4 years, although he is excused for last year. Hardly improving. In fact, plenty in here want him traded before he loses all trade value.

Sinclair is as disappointing as Acres. Looked to be a star in the making early. Looks to be out of form and a tad disinterested. One of the few elite kicks we have, his failure to progress is as disappointing as it is puzzling.

Membrey, Bruce and Sinclair all showed enormous promise early. They have not gone to the next level. GOPs.

As for Pierce, of course Chobot should've made time to at least show an interest and provide some encouragement.

Similar treatment cost us Tom Lynch through RTB. Couldn't stand the boy from the start, expressed that in writing to John Peake and largely ignored the kid. Tom could've worked harder, it's true, but good coaches find the keys to what motivates a variety of individuals.

We'll see once he's gone. There are just too many players with talent who have hardly progressed under the Chobot. A very poor body of work is his legacy.

Last edited:
scott on 360 talking about how gameplans are years in the making. It’s going to be a long road from here regardless isn’t it

Our gameplan isn't far off the mark, its more about structure and execution. Not a lot would need to be done to improve it.
wow if any truth to it, but have heard from a reliable source that the sun may set in the west and rise in the east once again

Are we talking the one and only Rossy Lyon?

That would be just as good as getting Clarkson.

Re Pierce at Frankston, there was only about 2 games last year where Frankston wasn't either playing at the same time as Sandy or the Seniors or the Senior team was training that morning, and one of them was the week of the bye where Richo stayed up on the Gold Coast.
People having a go at Richo for not watching Frankston, to see the third string ruckman, are kidding themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back