• The Fog plays in the firsts!

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • TYson Stengle debuts!

Votes: 57 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting.

Sides like Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong etc leave their draftees in the 2s for a while to develop, which is what we tend to do BUT.....

When they do play them they give them a solid block of games. We throw a game or 2 around the place and throw them back down.

Given the amount of garbage picks we've turned into guns it's hard to argue somewhat with our approach. The only issue I have, is the same that everyone else does..... we hold those kids more accountable than senior players.
Whilst that has been an issue for a fair while, this year under Pyke there is an obvious air of difference regarding senior selections. We already have a record number of seniors listed as “omitted”:
- Jenkins
- Gibbs
- Dougie
- Jacobs (technically more a non-automatic re-selection)

The Jenkins/Gibbs lengthy SANFL stance and Jacobs non-selection (when fit) is the statement we’re more saying “we are trying to pick our best team”.

I think it’s a timing thing. If you are in a serious flag window then you may be more reluctant to play the young players. We are not even close to a flag and should be taking the hit now, play all the young guys and if that means we miss the finals then so be it. It’s time the club stops accepting that making finals each year is the top priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But the thing is, had we won last round, we’d be around 4-5 on the ladder and you can argue in a good position to contend.

The question really is: was that last Showdown our current trend or was it a mere anomaly?

Right now I hope it’s an anomaly. Whilst we’re still in the top 8, the aim would still be to get as high as you can. No point tanking now.

Great news Stengle in and finally got someone down there who can actually kick goals and not tries to take pack marks.
He is hard to tackle and has good player and goal awareness.
But how after that debacle last week and all the tough talk 2 changes and one of players dropped wasn't even on in 2 nd half.
Wonder whose are going to play out of position so we could give Mackay another game.

But the thing is, had we won last round, we’d be around 4-5 on the ladder and you can argue in a good position to contend.

The question really is: was that last Showdown our current trend or was it a mere anomaly?

Right now I hope it’s an anomaly. Whilst we’re still in the top 8, the aim would still be to get as high as you can. No point tanking now.

Are you Malcolm blight

last night he said the last 3 premiers in West Coast Richmond Bulldogs during their premiership years had copped at least two beltings during the year

Was Port our belting and it was a belting

Firstly, you responded to a post that was a response from me to Elite Crow. Secondly, the post you just responded to is completely unrelated to my response to EC. It has zero to do with finishing position, like, literally nothing whatsoever. It is entirely related to our ongoing argument about whether selection philosophy has really changed this year.
Its changed, however not as much as I had hoped. Clearly theres evidence towards both of our positions, but we havent gone as far as I had hoped.

It’s a pretty pointless discussion if you’re just going to ignore his actual numbers and what he has been bringing.

If you think his games v GWS and Melb were dreadful then I really don’t know what to tell you.

And for the record, yes, I’ve seen plenty to suggest he will be a good player and it’s a ridiculous call to drop him IMO.
Do you think he'll be a good forward?

He's seemed another of those players who is a midfielder that gets shunted to the forward line because that's the only spot available. Like Douglas, like Knight, like Milera.

They aren't suited to the role and get lost there. Find it tough to get into the play, find themselves out of position. As a result we are constantly outnumbered forward of the ball by defenders who read the game better.

As a forward he has kicked 3 goals in half a season, doesn't find much of the ball and tackles less than Walker and Jenkins.

We don't seem to be able to generate midfield time for players like Gallucci (even Jones got parked mostly at half forward in his few games this season).

I hope the selection of Stengle is a sign that we're going to pick more genuine forwards in the forward line and in time see McAdam and Fogarty there too. Mind you Knight is a step backwards to an already failed option.

Are you Malcolm blight

last night he said the last 3 premiers in West Coast Richmond Bulldogs during their premiership years had copped at least two beltings during the year

Was Port our belting and it was a belting

Maybe bulldogs aside (I believe they just got lucky), WC and Richmond were incredible sides, we are clearly not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe bulldogs aside (I believe they just got lucky), WC and Richmond were incredible sides, we are clearly not.

No but no one was expecting Adelaide to go from 12th to premiers either

Unless you have unrealistic expectations

They are getting everything out of senior players to make finals after that its unlikely without the super powers of Tex Betts Talia Jacobs JJ Gibbs Sloane unless there is straight replacements we will make finals

Mackay should be dropped from the SANFL team but Gallucci has been dreadful in every single game this season. Looks a bust. Very worrying

Yep. In our first choice 22 we only have 1 player from the last 3 draft/trade periods who is playing consistently good football. That is a damning indictment on the football dept. Someone forgot to explain to the afc the concept of a premiership window.

I think Gallucci is definitely a bust.

Yep. In our first choice 22 we only have 1 player from the last 3 draft/trade periods who is playing consistently good football. That is a damning indictment on the football dept. Someone forgot to explain to the afc the concept of a premiership window.

I think Gallucci is definitely a bust.

Or a damning indictment on our recruiting department

Only time will give us the answer to that

Or a damning indictment on our recruiting department

Only time will give us the answer to that

They are included in out football dept. The lack of trading IN during the last 3 years is either really arrogant or really incompetent.

I can deal with the changes for this week. But we need to continue to change the team each week, regardless of if we win. Mackay & Atkins are on their 653rd and last chance. Betts Jenkins Murphy next in line.
Jenkins has a bad match after returning from injury and aggregating his knee in the first 5 minutes and he is “next in line” to be dropped. Yet his form before injury was good. FMD :rolleyes:

Imagine what sort of loss we'd have to have for the selectors to make a statement...when basically, we are playing a broken reserves team. I mean did our players have to lose like that and then go out and wash the Power players cars as well before their performance is not acceptable?
I wonder if part of the development plan is having the players win/play together in an SANFL GF as a means to bond?

So any performance is forgiven chasing the long goal

And yeah that's all I got to explain this year

Do you think he'll be a good forward?

He's seemed another of those players who is a midfielder that gets shunted to the forward line because that's the only spot available. Like Douglas, like Knight, like Milera.

They aren't suited to the role and get lost there. Find it tough to get into the play, find themselves out of position. As a result we are constantly outnumbered forward of the ball by defenders who read the game better.

As a forward he has kicked 3 goals in half a season, doesn't find much of the ball and tackles less than Walker and Jenkins.

We don't seem to be able to generate midfield time for players like Gallucci (even Jones got parked mostly at half forward in his few games this season).

I hope the selection of Stengle is a sign that we're going to pick more genuine forwards in the forward line and in time see McAdam and Fogarty there too. Mind you Knight is a step backwards to an already failed option.

He plays high half forward. Do you believe goals are the only measure of a players worth?

As a high half forward, in those 3 games prior to the bye, he’s had 15 x I50.

He’s had 20 score involvements and 7 goal assists.

That tells me he’s creative, unselfish and a significant % of his possessions are getting us into our 50, as well as creating opportunities for others to score.

It’s not an easy role, you don’t get it a lot. His impact for the amount he gets it is high.

If you continue to focus solely on statistical categories he doesn’t feature in, then I guess it’s easier to mount an argument for omission.

I would have thought the ones he does feature in are pretty important for the role he plays.

Back