Game Day AFL Round 17 - Matchday Discussion Collingwood@West Coast (Optus Stadium – 8:10PM EST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't remember ever going into a game with absolute zero confidence that we will win. I think this is the first time in all my years supporting the club that I don't even have the slightest belief that we may cause an upset.
It's going to get ugly.
I'm just going to forget about the score and watch the game to see how the likes of Noble and IQ play.

I'm a fan of Mihocek but if he goes to McGovern before the bounce of the ball it'll be deflating.

It just hasn't worked to date.

Have we ever tried Mayne on McGovern again since the time he was successful in subduing his influence for a half?

To nullify McGovern you either need to take a very defensive mindset and have the forward engage him like a defender would or you need to try and expose his desire to zone off his opponent and look to play through that opponent inside f50.

Obviously easier said than done but Mayne might be the player best suited to balance both options such is his experience and willingness to apply himself to a role.

He was once a more than handy goal kicker for Fremantle so it's not like forward craft is completely foreign to him either.
I agree. Mayne worked a treat in that semi final. I would do the same again and if it isn't paying off you can always make a move.

I’m an optimist, but I’m also a realist. If we haven’t been able to score against Hawthorn and North, I struggle to see how we kick a winning score against West Coast in Perth. Couldn’t beat them at the peak of our powers in the last two years, not expecting tonight to be any different, but holding onto hope that it is.

All I’ve been hoping for in the past few weeks is a competitive, spirited effort. If we play hard and lose, I can deal with that. If we lay down and get bullied again, I’ll spew. Hopefully they can play us into some sort of form, if we win then happy days.

I can't remember ever going into a game with absolute zero confidence that we will win. I think this is the first time in all my years supporting the club that I don't even have the slightest belief that we may cause an upset.
It's going to get ugly.
I'm just going to forget about the score and watch the game to see how the likes of Noble and IQ play.
I felt exactly like you one overcast day at the G. We were playing the Eagles. The build up to this game was eerily similar to tonight's game. Read about it for yourself. I was glad to be there and watch it happen. Unbelievable.

In 2005 we were on the bottom of the ladder and had named a few kids for our clash with the undefeated top of the table West Coast Eagles. Another wonderful memory.

Last edited:
It's going to get ugly.

Same boat here. I can't see how we don't get spanked.

It's going to get ugly.
How the mighty have fallen... :'(

Actually I think this will be the game our short kick and holding onto disposal can work for us if we can hit up our half-forward line. The problem has been the midfielders bomb from the wing and we get intercepted too easily.

Bring the ball closer to the half-forward line and let the forward half get congested. Then use run and carry to bring it closer to 20-30m, or use dribble balls to kick it on the ground rather than aerially.

Let McGovern be a fish out of water when his man runs off him in a small forward's paradise. Jamie Elliot could pick up a handy one or two from that kind of tactic.

I hope we mix things up a bit. What we have tried in recent history against West Coast hasn't worked. Compound that with the fact they are in good form and we are not, plus they have been boosted by players like Naitanui, it adds even more weight to the fact we have to try something different.

Starting point would be Greenwood tagging Shuey or Yeo.

I get the feeling that Crocker is in the side to forward tag McGovern. I think that won't work. In fact, I'd be giving the job to Mayne as Noble can take his place on the wing, along with Sidebottom and Phillips.

I would've kept Scharenberg in the side, and would have even consider Goldsack straight in...so we had the option of throwing Darcy Moore forward to try and get McGovern accountable.

I also wouldn't mind trying Crisp or Maynard on the ball as they are big bodies with speed and long kicks. My concern is that West Coast's midfield is just too strong and powerful for ours, so I'd like to see some bigger bodies on the ball.

Actually I think this will be the game our short kick and holding onto disposal can work for us if we can hit up our half-forward line. The problem has been the midfielders bomb from the wing and we get intercepted too easily.

Bring the ball closer to the half-forward line and let the forward half get congested. Then use run and carry to bring it closer to 20-30m, or use dribble balls to kick it on the ground rather than aerially.

Let McGovern be a fish out of water when his man runs off him in a small forward's paradise. Jamie Elliot could pick up a handy one or two from that kind of tactic.

Not a stagnant short kicking style though as that will just give them time to set up. We have played this way in each of our losses after quarter time, whether by WC adjustments forcing our hand or us falling asleep and trying to protect a lead.

It's going to get ugly.
This isn’t Fitzroy in the late 90’s
Or St Kilda in the late 70’s
We are not absolutely awful
We will not be embarrassed
We will be competitive at least just like all AFL matches these days

Probably won’t win though

This is exactly the kind of game we get up for. Reckon it’s finally hit the boys that it isn’t just about turning up & thinking it’ll just happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to the team that rarely gets thrashed, the one with low losing margins? Isn’t that us from 2017 onwards? We have to go back to 2016 for several 50 pt plus hidings (best forgotten).

That team hasn’t gone away. We may be wobbling (sorry) but we will put up a fight and do our almighty best to knock off the Eagles. Stuff it, I hate being defeatist.

Early in the week was thinking there's more of a chance of me housemating with the Ottoman in his home town of Broady than us winning.. but now got this strange feeling we'll win.. thank God for that re.

Expecting somewhat of a 4 qrt performance.. the funny thing about playing under par for a long time is this.. when you start playing with a lil bit of freedom flair and confidence it can be really infectious and addictive cause you haven't been there for a while.. so you go harder than normal to sustain that feeling.. on the other hand.. if you're in good form you can flirt with it and take it for granted.

I don't think we'll take it for granted if we get that feeling early.. they'll go hammer and tongs re..

C'mon lads!

Pies by 24.

Last edited:
Guys I wouldn't be so sure this game is going to be in our favour, this year 4 times we just haven't turned up and got spanked. Anything can happen.

I’m feeling a 60’s anthem coming on
We shall not we shall not be overcome!

I feel the building of a chant coming on..,
Apologies to the passengers on the Lilydale limited express

Have been the recipient of a boozy luncheon however.

It's going to get ugly.
I feel exactly the same way. Will be watching through splayed fingers tonight, and trying not to end up mentally scarred beyond what the ‘18 GF left me.

Guys I wouldn't be so sure this game is going to be in our favour, this year 4 times we just haven't turned up and got spanked. Anything can happen.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

I dunno about anyone else but I'm just gonna support the Black and Whites? Whoever runs out for the Pies, they'll give it their best.
If we're good enough we win, if they're better they win.
Why does it have to be about "What we're doing wrong? or What the umps do? or Why we suck at this that or the other? Or why is it about poor coaching?
You can only do your best as a sportsperson. If it's enough...its enough.

Go Pies.

Couldnt possibly see a win here. Too few in form.

In any case, I'm off to Adelaide for the Beer n BBQ festival. I'll be watching Frenzal Rhomb with a crazily overhopped IPA and some slow cooked ribs and hoping for the best from the boys, but should it get ugly, Ill just opt for an 9% chocolate stout and try to sooth the loss that way. Cheers!

Sounds like a rad night. Frenzal are quality. Enjoy it.

Couldnt possibly see a win here. Too few in form.

In any case, I'm off to Adelaide for the Beer n BBQ festival. I'll be watching Frenzal Rhomb with a crazily overhopped IPA and some slow cooked ribs and hoping for the best from the boys, but should it get ugly, Ill just opt for an 9% chocolate stout and try to sooth the loss that way. Cheers!

s**t, this sounds grouse. Where is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back