Traded Ed Langdon [traded with #26 and 2020 4th to Melbourne for #22, #79 and 2020 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why I had those other parts which reduce his value below a first pick. It's a tough situation, we'd need high second round value without getting a pick that is taken up by our NGA boy's bid

Henry will get bid upon however if we keep our picks and bring in a Dee's 2nd rounder (which should be early) - it's still valuable, even to protect our pick.

If Henry gets bid upon at say pick 15 that is basically equivalent to the 2nd round pick Melb currently hold (20). If Henry doesn't go to pick 20, then we could get him using our 2nd round pick (currently at 26)....the dream of course is a much later bid when we can just accumulate some late picks.

Henry will get bid upon however if we keep our picks and bring in a Dee's 2nd rounder (which should be early) - it's still valuable, even to protect our pick.

If Henry gets bid upon at say pick 15 that is basically equivalent to the 2nd round pick Melb currently hold (20). If Henry doesn't go to pick 20, then we could get him using our 2nd round pick (currently at 26)....the dream of course is a much later bid when we can just accumulate some late picks.
It's in our best interests to be trading our 2nd out for 3rds and 4ths for points, history clearly suggests that X points in the 1st and second round are roughly worth 1.5*X points in the third and 4th round. It would be negligent not to be attempting to match with late picks, and getting another second round draft pick doesn't really help

It's in our best interests to be trading our 2nd out for 3rds and 4ths for points, history clearly suggests that X points in the 1st and second round are roughly worth 1.5*X points in the third and 4th round. It would be negligent not to be attempting to match with late picks, and getting another second round draft pick doesn't really help
I thought you could only go into the draft with as many picks as list spots .
After the first year of academy bidding that loop hole of lots of late picks was closed

Using eDPS's excellent rolling draft as a reference, he conveniently (magically even) has Henry at Fremantle's pick 26. I actually think that is a realistic rating when I run the eye over the players picked before and given he is an NGA player. I know that many rate him as a first rounder, but the draft isn't just about ratings (which are opinion based anyway). In an ideal world, any pick traded for Langdon would be comfortably before that, or gets our second pick before that.

I thought you could only go into the draft with as many picks as list spots .
After the first year of academy bidding that loop hole of lots of late picks was closed
Sure but there are still ways to have it in your favour. With mainlist rookie list splits

For example If we have 35 on our mainlist going into the draft period we could:

A. Have 2 picks above Henry's range (12-15ish), then 3 late 3rd or early 4ths picks. Then we take 2 players before Henry, use the 3 later picks on matching Henry. This takes us to 38 on the main list then go to the rookie draft to bring the rookie list up to 6 players

B. Have 1 pick before Henry, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds. Then we take 1 before Henry, match Henry with the seconds (one of the seconds get pushed back to the 3rd round). Then we take take 3 players with the 3rd round picks. This takes us to 40 and we go to the rookie draft to bring the rookie list up to 4 players.

Sure but there are still ways to have it in your favour. With mainlist rookie list splits

For example If we have 35 on our mainlist going into the draft period we could:

A. Have 2 picks above Henry's range (12-15ish), then 3 late 3rd or early 4ths picks. Then we take 2 players before Henry, use the 3 later picks on matching Henry. This takes us to 38 on the main list then go to the rookie draft to bring the rookie list up to 6 players

B. Have 1 pick before Henry, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds. Then we take 1 before Henry, match Henry with the seconds (one of the seconds get pushed back to the 3rd round). Then we take take 3 players with the 3rd round picks. This takes us to 40 and we go to the rookie draft to bring the rookie list up to 4 players.
Where would you get those picks from ?
If your trading senior players for picks instead of targing other established players and going to the draft then your in for a world of hurt next year

Where would you get those picks from ?
If your trading senior players for picks instead of targing other established players and going to the draft then your in for a world of hurt next year
The example is just meant to compare 2 scenarios where we have the same number of picks with the same points value. But the distribution and number of draftees differ and results clearly A is favourable over B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems a strange target for Melbourne. You'd think they'd be after players with elite foot skills.

He can find the footy though. Melbourne's second rounder seems about right.

Exactly, i would prefer we look elsewhere and let Ed go to a club who have the skills to cover his clangers, we certainly don't.

Should've been steak knives in the Hogan deal, our 2nd rounder ~20 is probably slight overs for a player with poor footskills and we'd want something coming back, but they've got Bell and we've got Mahoney doing the negotiations so anything could happen.

I don’t think it’s terrible. Just not elite like a Brad Hill I guess. But there seems to be a lot of people thinking his skills are quiet poor. Maybe I haven’t seen enough of him.
His kicking could definitely be better, but it's no where near as bad as freo fans are making it. If we think a player is leaving us, our board gets salty and immature. Line-breaker, elite speed, pressure, tackling, runs both ways, handy in front of goals, covers heaps of ground, top 4 b&f last year and will be there abouts this season, knows how to find the ball.

I'm not keen on losing him, but I've accepted it's happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back