2019 3rd Ashes Test 22-27 August Headingley

Who will win the 3rd test?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

They had a stat on SEN today . In tests decided by 1 or less Australia is 0/6
5 runs or less they are 1/5 , that win was in 1902 .

So it isn’t just people thinking it , it’s actually factual 😳

The 1982-3 MCG Test Allan Border batting with Jeff Thomson for the 10th wicket put on 70 and lost by 3 runs.

Of course Botham dismissed Thommo caught at slip after Tavare missed the catch and Miller caught the rebound.

It’s not about being gods gift mate, it’s about directing your focus on the right areas. Blaming Paine is just typical of everyone right now not being able to form their own opinions. Get to the real root of the issue like I’ve already stated, it’s tedious that it can’t be comprehended.
I kept wkt for over 10 years, if Paine didn't know that ball pitched a mile outside leg he has no business playing at that level, look how unconfident he was when he called the review, he knew it wasn't out but burnt the review anyway, and the match and possibly the series with it, this isn't rainbow land where everything is forgiven, has shiathouse form with the bat too, time to go.

No, there haven't.

Just off the top of my head...

Batsman hit on the back foot, in front of middle, given not out
Batsman miss the ball by a foot, no noise, no deflection, given out
Batsman smashes the ball to the keeper, nowhere near the pad or anything else, given not out, that ones happened a few times already this series!

Oh and there were identical LBWs to that one given not out in the first test that Lyon didn't even think were worth reviewing!

Hell, Joel and Aleem's first test highlight reel would surpass the one last night.

The 1982-3 MCG Test Allan Border batting with Jeff Thomson for the 10th wicket put on 70 and lost by 3 runs.

Of course Botham dismissed Thommo caught at slip after Tavare missed the catch and Miller caught the rebound.
Was only young then but have seen highlights etc

How unlucky can you get , dropped catch that pops up enough to be taken by the other slip.

Loved Thommos backing away ‘cover’ drives

I think Watson's motive for excessive reviewing stemmed a lot from a selfish perspective. Agree Paine could retreat into his shell and become more passive but he cant afford to be purely from the view he gets.

Problem is every bowler thinks its out. Broad suckered Root into one that was clearly missing as well.

I should have been more specific - I doubt a panicked review like last night won't happen again. A stab in the dark. He's not great thats for sure. However, I think reviewing can be fickled a bit. Umpires calls etc.
Sure, Watson was reviewing his own dismissals but he was also just a terrible judge. Paine is looking like a pretty bad judge too even if he's not an egotistical dolt like Watson. It has to play on his mind though

I really don't like reviewing to be a 'skill' in our game. Having a game decided because an umpire got it so wrong but the players made a bad call on a disputed decision earlier just doesn't sit right with me. The DRS should be about getting decisions right, not players fluffing third umpire appeals or second-guessing themselves

Yeah wow the Street Fighter pulled out another back-to-the-alley performance, just watched the highlights and he sent those pricks flying with gleeful regularity. The Aussie side lack that clinical ruthlessness that are the hallmarks of a good team so can't be too perturbed when they will always be prone to a thorough humiliation plus that stupid bowler rotation policy deserved to bite them. Joel "where'd the ball go?" Wilson was always going to be a factor, the question was which side of the fence would he be sitting (and even he doesn't know).

Sure, Watson was reviewing his own dismissals but he was also just a terrible judge. Paine is looking like a pretty bad judge too even if he's not an egotistical dolt like Watson. It has to play on his mind though

I really don't like reviewing to be a 'skill' in our game. Having a game decided because an umpire got it so wrong but the players made a bad call on a disputed decision earlier just doesn't sit right with me. The DRS should be about getting decisions right, not players fluffing third umpire appeals or second-guessing themselves
Agreed.

Batsman smashes the ball to the keeper, nowhere near the pad or anything else, given not out, that ones happened a few times already this series!

Oh and there were identical LBWs to that one given not out in the first test that Lyon didn't even think were worth reviewing!

Hell, Joel and Aleem's first test highlight reel would surpass the one last night.
No there weren't.
No LBW decision in this series has been even as remotely bad as this one.
It was on a par with the ones you get in the U12s when dad is umpiring his kid.

Therein lies the problem. England have entrusted an Australian to coach their cricket team but everyone is ok with it because he's a professional bloke trying to do a job. No question of sabotage. So why can't we think the same about umpires? Erasmus aside, the best umps come from England and Australia.
Aleem Dar has umpired the most tests of any umpire and the second most ODIs, and has won the David Shepherd trophy three times, second only to Simon Taufel. You either retire a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain 🙂

No there weren't.
The experts seem to disagree with you. It was full and hit him low on the pad, difficult to tell how much it is spinning back when that is happening especially at speed. We're all good when we get to watch 20 replays in slow mo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aleem Dar has umpired the most tests of any umpire and the second most ODIs, and has won the David Shepherd trophy three times, second only to Simon Taufel. You either retire a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain 🙂

Mr Dar was once the best in the business. Sadly the evidence now suggests otherwise.

No there weren't.

lol at claiming an off spinner that hit the batsman on the front leg sweeping in front of leg stump is worse than hitting the back foot on the shin in front of middle stump...

The one last night is the one the spinner gets pissed off about and moves on, the Dar one last test is the type that starts fights when the opposition is umpiring in the lower grades

Therein lies the problem. England have entrusted an Australian to coach their cricket team but everyone is ok with it because he's a professional bloke trying to do a job. No question of sabotage. So why can't we think the same about umpires? Erasmus aside, the best umps come from England and Australia.

Like the Justin Langer one I posted earlier where he smashed the cover off the ball, given not out by the Australian umpire and Australia go onto win, then questions get asked.

Tim Paine the all round good guy Captains comments...

It's hard to take, losing that from that position. But you have to tip your hat sometimes, Ben Stokes played an unbelieveable innings and it was too good for us. That was probably the best Test innings I've ever seen.

There's probably always things you can do differently, but cricket is a game of inches. It tests your character, but as I said to the boys then it's not the end of the world. It's a game of cricket, and we're here to win the series

God I hate this pissweak, be friendly over the result, attitude.

There's no way Australia wuill retain the Ashes after tha
Good post, fair enough about the review comments.

I can understand how Stokes going into ODI mode would create panic in a side's bowling plans. Why do you think we were so poor with the second new ball yesterday? It seemed so out of character for our potent bowling attack.
A couple of reasons.
With the old ball, I think they were in containment mode and not really looking for the wicket. As a result, they were patient and (what looked like) the prize wicket came. Once they got the new ball, they knew that was the chance to break the middle order. Ponting said a few times they were trying too hard, and I tend to agree. Trying to force their way in rather than applying what has worked for both sides all series resulted in the first truly bad team spell of bowling for the series.
Then when it didn't swing, they reverted to what works in Australia; back of a length with the odd one banged in (with periods of just bowling short), rather than keeping it up there and trying impart cut - Pattinson used to be able to do that. There was movement off the deck when they actually tried for it, but just hitting the seam wasn't always enough. The Australian length doesn't work in England, but its natural for Australian bowlers to default to it when they don't know what to do.
That new ball hour or so lost the match as much as Lyon's miss, or an umpire, or even the disgusting review. But not as much as Stokes ability to sum up the situation and, as importantly, be able to play to it.

In the upcoming tour game who would you leave out.I would rest Paine (after all the negative stuff on BF I think he needs to re charge his batteries,lol),Cummings,Pattinson,Labuschange and Lyon.With Carey still in England would be a great opportunity to get him to join the team for this game but not sure whether it can be done and doubt they would do it any way.Even if Paine in the team I would give Head the captaincy duties and even get Wade to keep for a while.

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Head
Wade
Bancroft+ (do not, under any circumstance, allow Wade to think he might don the gloves)
Starc
Neser
Siddle
Lyon

Let Smith sit it out, just as a precaution.

Bullshit actually. Those two on Stokes in the second test were taking leg while this one was taking middle and leg. Out of those three, the one is this match is the one that should have been given.

Was only young then but have seen highlights etc

How unlucky can you get , dropped catch that pops up enough to be taken by the other slip.

Loved Thommos backing away ‘cover’ drives

Found this older (2013) interview with Thommo where he talks about that partnership and loss. The whole interview is typically entertaining Thommospeak ;)

You had a famous last stand with Allan Border in the MCG Ashes Test of 1982-83. You fell a heartbreaking four runs short of victory when you edged Ian Botham to Chris Tavare at slip only for Geoff Miller to catch the rebound. Was that your lowest moment in cricket?

It was up there as one of the lowlights of my whole life. I couldn't talk about that for a long, long time. It was good to be with AB out there but it was s**t to lose by a bee's dick. It was my own fault. It was a s**t ball. I just made up my mind to hit a single rather than wait to see what the ball was. I could have hit it for four. But we won the series anyway. That just made me try harder the next game. We don't talk about it - it was just a stuff-up.

Back