Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our gameplan is absolute trash, but Scott won't acknowledge that. plays a gamestyle that requires a high level of skill yet we don't have the players to carry it out.

Could still get a flag with this group, but I don't see it happening. More of the same next year, top 8 because of HGA, top 4 if other teams drop off, and then more finals embarrassment when our team is found out.

The Collingwood game was the best example of his lack of tactical nous on game day. No ruck against one of the best 2 in the league, robbing Peter to pay Paul by removing our best defender from his best position to play ruck, and then making a stupid comment to CH7 pre match that we were "still taller" than Collingwood.

Add in his other comments about other teams, like Richmond being better last year. We have the most embarrassing coach in the league. We need to get a Neil Balme type back, ban Scott from his media commitments where he makes our club look amateur and make him concentrate on the thing he is paid for; Coaching.

As for our coaching structure...
Backs - Scarlett
Scarlett has been great from all reports, I would keep him.

Mids - Knights
I would look to replace Knights. Our MF has relied more on star power than on actual set ups. Look at how easily Richmond changed after half time and the fact we had no answer to it. Obliterated in the middle. Add in the fact that for years we have been atrocious with our ball delivery from midfield to forward line and its probably the right time to change.

Forwards - Enright
Not sure where I stand here. On the one hand, our forward lines defensive pressure was excellent. And in the first half of the season our goal kicking was elite. But post bye everything dropped right off a cliff, and we went from 1st in goalkicking to 18th. And that in the end cost us V Richmond where we should have been 8 goals up at Half Time. How much of that is on Enright I don't know.

Opposition Scouting - Rahilly
Not too sure on how effective he is at this role. I guess you could argue at times the last few years we have had some terrible match ups. Recently Cameron for Brisbane, Lynch, all players who have gotten off the chain and we haven't had effective strategies against them.

Development - Mackie/Lappin
Once again, not sure on the effectiveness here or how you measure it. Miers, Clark, O'Connor, Henry, Atkins, Narkle and Parfitt all were significantly better this year. But are they just involved with the VFL/young guys or the whole club?
Buzza looked better in the VFL this year but couldnt get an AFL game, Kreuger looks good, Tarca and Brownless showed glimpses, Constable was great early then strangely dropped and dominated the VFL with guys like Parsons and Simpson at times. So at least we have some talent coming through.

Part time Ruck - Ottens
Not sure if this isn't working because he is a part timer, is there much work between Ottens, Knights and the mids? Is it just because our rucks at time are trash? We have atrocious ruck depth. Stanley in and out, when no Stanley Smith was not much chop, and Abbott didn't get a look in. Fort played forward. Maybe we don't see the best of Ottens as a coach until he has the cattle.

VFL - O'Bree
VFL team made up the numbers in the finals, at times looked amazing and at times looked off the boil. Got some good development into players like Simpson, I didn't see as many games as I'd have liked but what I did see our game style didn't really resemble the AFL team. If you watch the better teams in the VFL they play in a similar way to their AFL affiliate so that if a player goes out, the replacement can slot right in. I don't really rate O'Bree as a coach though.
Excellent summary.
But don't agree with trash gameplan

If it was up to me he would of been in the backline. But me you and everyone else on this forum are just fans. We don't understand the game to a level that allows us to make informed decisions.

We don't even know the reason for Blicavs on the wing.
Excellent summary.
But don't agree with trash gameplan
I should elaborate. Our gameplan seems to revert to 2 basic strategies. When our tales are up, we switch, we run hard, up the ground, eyes down and hit targets.

But so frequently, especially post bye, we ran the boundary. Short kicks sideways making no territory, before a long bomb down the line. Usually followed by a turnover and the ball back at the other end.
And why? Why is that instilled into the team? Its a terrible tactic.
Watch the ball movement pre bye and post bye, its two completely different teams.

We are better when we attack and switch. The WCE final proved that. We aren't good when we go along the boundary, as the Collingwood final proved.

I know i'll never get an answer, but I would really love to know why our goal kicking accuracy bottomed out. Pre bye we were ranked 1st. Post bye, ranked 18th. That is not only completely insane, but cost us numerous matches and the Richmond final (we don't miss a few easy chances, and that 21 HT lead is 40ish and the pressure is really on them like in the 2018 PF.
Was it the positions we took the shots from? Hawkins and Rohan missed what I would call routine shots V Collingwood. Especially for seasoned players like them. Did we dedicate less time to goal scoring in training as the year went on?

I should elaborate. Our gameplan seems to revert to 2 basic strategies. When our tales are up, we switch, we run hard, up the ground, eyes down and hit targets.

But so frequently, especially post bye, we ran the boundary. Short kicks sideways making no territory, before a long bomb down the line. Usually followed by a turnover and the ball back at the other end.
Watch the ball movement pre bye and post bye, its two completely different teams.

We are better when we attack and switch. The WCE final proved that. We aren't good when we go along the boundary, as the Collingwood final proved.

I know i'll never get an answer, but I would really love to know why our goal kicking accuracy bottomed out. Pre bye we were ranked 1st. Post bye, ranked 18th. That is not only completely insane, but cost us numerous matches and the Richmond final (we don't miss a few easy chances, and that 21 HT lead is 40ish and the pressure is really on them like in the 2018 PF.
Was it the positions we took the shots from? Hawkins and Rohan missed what I would call routine shots V Collingwood. Especially for seasoned players like them. Did we dedicate less time to goal scoring in training as the year went on?
CS addressed that on 360 just after the bye.
Pre bye, very lucky, many things fell into place. Artificial.
Post bye, more reflective of our true skill in that area.
Many supporters have been sucked in by that 11-1 standing and some of the things that went with it.
CS tried to tell us it wouldn't last and it was surreal.

On the goal kicking, I know during pre-season there was a focus on making the players take shots when they were fatigued such as at the end of a running session they did then have to do some goal kicking.
I wonder if the sports science guys put their foot down during the year an stopped this during the year and lead to the drop off

Yet from where I sit I think Buckley can coach. Who else before he did it would have moved Moore to defence?

I think he can coach too...I was just pointing out that reactions from supporters when the team loses is almost mirror image.

His point is a valid one. There is clearly reasons for the Blicavs decision we are not aware meaning we can't make an informed opinion.

I would like the club to let us know what they are but seems they feel its intellectual property they want to keep internal.
The main reason for blicavs not going to full back is scott is stubborn.He couldnt play him in the ruck again after the first final disaster but he didnt want to admit moving him away from full back was wrong so he didnt put him back there.

The second reason is scott loves defenders and wasnt willing to drop one of kolo or henry. So he didnt and moved some defenders up the field. Taylor, henderson, kolo, henry, touhy and blicavs have all spent finals in the past four years playing out of defence because scott cant fit all the defenders in defence but doesnt want to drop any of them.

The main reason for blicavs not going to full back is scott is stubborn.He couldnt play him in the ruck again after the first final disaster but he didnt want to admit moving him away from full back was wrong so he didnt put him back there.

The second reason is scott loves defenders and wasnt willing to drop one of kolo or henry. So he didnt and moved some defenders up the field. Taylor, henderson, kolo, henry, touhy and blicavs have all spent finals in the past four years playing out of defence because scott cant fit all the defenders in defence but doesnt want to drop any of them.
The main reason according to Seeds.
For all we know, they worked out that Blic was the best replacement for Duncan.
And for all we know, Scarlett made these decisions.

What about Scarlett, our defensive coach & his role in the selection of those defenders each week?

Or did he not get a say on things?

CS addressed that on 360 just after the bye.
Pre bye, very lucky, many things fell into place. Artificial.
Post bye, more reflective of our true skill in that area.
Many supporters have been sucked in by that 11-1 standing and some of the things that went with it.
CS tried to tell us it wouldn't last and it was surreal.

When exactly did Scott say this? Did he say being on top wouldn’t last?

The main reason according to Seeds.
For all we know, they worked out that Blic was the best replacement for Duncan.
And for all we know, Scarlett made these decisions.
If they worked that out they are fick** morons as his form on the wing has been terrible historically. Finds little ball, is slow, runs to the wrong spots enabling the opposition to create a free man from spread and is a poor disposer. Totally the best replacement for duncan. Probably only worse replacement would be hawkins. I would even prefer harry taylor on the wing to blicavs as at least he can kick the pill.

Pretty much everything i have posted on blicavs in the past 7 years has been correct. Both the positive and negative posts. The only thing i got wrong was i was a little too positive 4 years ago on his ability to be a centre bounce midfielder. Thinking of writing a book on geelong and the blicavs era.

When exactly did Scott say this? Did he say being on top wouldn’t last?
He intimated after our third or fourth post bye loss, on 360- I watch it every week, stiff if you don't- that the change in accuracy which was being highlighted was exactly as I posted it. It made sense to me. Surely I am not the only supporter who at rd 12 thought "this is unreal"??
I said nothing about staying on top, but you can lead it that way as is your wont.

Last edited:
If they worked that out they are fick** morons as his form on the wing has been terrible historically. Finds little ball, is slow, runs to the wrong spots enabling the opposition to create a free man from spread and is a poor disposer. Totally the best replacement for duncan. Probably only worse replacement would be hawkins. I would even prefer harry taylor on the wing to blicavs as at least he can kick the pill.

Pretty much everything i have posted on blicavs in the past 7 years has been correct. Both the positive and negative posts. The only thing i got wrong was i was a little too positive 4 years ago on his ability to be a centre bounce midfielder. Thinking of writing a book on geelong and the blicavs era.
You picked and agreed with his B & F awards? That's great, me too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he can coach too...I was just pointing out that reactions from supporters when the team loses is almost mirror image.
Oh I know. Some get hysterical when the truth is the people who can't coach are the one's that never make finals, win about 30-35% of games and get sacked after 2-3 seasons of no progress.

Yet from where I sit I think Buckley can coach. Who else before he did it would have moved Moore to defence?

And keep him there when it was the best option for the team. He often fought to not push him back forward.

Yet we make the same mistake year after year

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Backs - Scarlett
Mids - Knights
Forwards - Enright
Opposition Scouting - Rahilly
Development - Mackie/Lappin
Partime Ruck - Ottens
VFL - O'Bree
This probably isn't really important, but I'm not so sure that is Rahilly's role these days, when he was on the club pod he spoke about how he is the academy coach, he looks after the development and well being of the 1st to 3rd year players.
Occasionally gets pulled in to help scout.. I dare say the opposition analysts would be names that mean nothing to us and are people that are just great at looking at patterns/plays etc

You picked and agreed with his B & F awards? That's great, me too.
I predicted he would get massive favourtism in awards voted by the coaches who wanted to vindicate their decisions to play him in the ruck. The b and f isnt a prediction about blicavs. Its a prediction about the coaches views.

I predicted he would get massive favourtism in awards voted by the coaches who wanted to vindicate their decisions to play him in the ruck. The b and f isnt a prediction about blicavs. Its a prediction about the coaches views.
Great reply.
Lot of substance in that. Agree to a large extent, but I also do rate Blicavs.

So....... Scott is saying we'll all come to conclude we had a good season, whilst Buckley is 'lamenting a wasted season'.

Shows the different mindset.

One is hungry.
Disagree.

Pies “fell” into 4th spot by sheer luck. If a wasted season means not improving on 2018 then maybe it was wasted but I reckon they over achieved in 2018.

Geelong limped in to top position after the H&A. How many of us genuinely believed we were the best team in the competition? Finishing 4th was about right and a massive improvement on 2018

Last edited:
Great reply.
Lot of substance in that. Agree to a large extent, but I also do rate Blicavs.
I know you do. Blicavs is a pretty solid defender. Many of us predicted it would be his best position years ago. Well before our coaches figured it out. He has been played horriblyout of position in finals for years.

Ok fair enough. I disagree as would most neutral people and I suspect management at the club.

If you use our 2007-2011 side as the guide to how good you need to be to win a premiership you can clearly see we are bit short of the required standard. It wasn't easy to win a flag than with a far superior group than we currently have.

I know Richmond are not on the same level but they are still a very good side. They have a much better age profile than we do, a better run with injuries, a better balanced side and the advantage of playing finals at their home ground.
None of this means anything

Many inferior sides have won pressure finals

Prime example Hawks in 2008 won the GF as the underdogs, oh GWS against the Pies is another.

Strange how we can overachieve all through the year but not in finals

No need to worry. We’ll be better next year and our best footy will be played in September. Chris said so.
Or you can say because we have such a great team that we will win enough games through the journey of the season to make finals

On the way we'll lose after the bye, lose after the 1st semi because of the bye and also lose a few H&M games that we're supposed to win

And finally be shuffled out of the finals and the same people on here will say we over achieved by making finals

I can see this scenario playing out for every year Scott is at the helm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back