Strategy Best 22 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We're talking about the same thing, the VFA/VFL reserves were renamed the development league in it's final few years.

So even Williamstown etc. don't have a reserves team anymore? Do they have their extended squad play with the given individuals associated suburban team like our VFL squad guys do? Was it just finances that brought about the end of VFL reserves?

So even Williamstown etc. don't have a reserves team anymore? Do they have their extended squad play with the given individuals associated suburban team like our VFL squad guys do?
Correct, even the standalone VFL clubs don't have reserve sides now. All players go back to suburban teams when not selected. Don't believe it was sensible from a pathways perspective and undoubtably there will be players lost to the system who could have played a higher level.

Was it just finances that brought about the end of VFL reserves?
This article explains the VFL's view - basically money, scheduling and resources.

I enjoy picking a best 22 for the fun of it.
I then set the players up in neat lines F, HF, C, HB, B, FOLL, I/C.
The only times this remotely matches reality is at centre bounces with the 6-6-6 set up or when there is a stoppage/throw-in on the central wing.
The rest of the match I’m seeing one 50 clogged with numbers while the opposite 50 is empty. Players interchanging 90 times. Players running off after scoring a goal. Players stopping mid break away because there’s no one to kick it to. Players running madly towards their forward 50 into empty space. Players left by themselves as a loose man in defence. Players zoning off their men minding space.
I’m old and often befuddled by the game.

Interestingly I think that you could say that this years GF match up has two teams that have chosen approaches slightly out of the box. Richmond with it’s knock the ball forward and run approach embracing chaos and GWS with it’s very tall stoppage approach embracing structure.

My old school positions just don’t cut it.😊

Conservative guess:

Crisp Roughead Langdon
Howe Howard Pendlebury

Grundy Adams Treloar
Stevo Beams Maynard

Mihocek Moore Sidebottom
De Goey Cameron Elliott

Aish Sier Phillips WHE Cox Mayne Wills Thomas Quaynor C Brown Noble Daicos T Brown Murphy Kelly Bosenavulagi Reid Dunn Greenwood Keane Wilson Appleby Tohill

Delist/Retire:
Wells Goldsack Murray Varcoe Crocker Broomhead Madgen Lynch

Trade:
Scharenberg

Pickup:
Cameron Howard

Personally:

B Langdon Roughead Howe
HB Crisp Moore Maynard
C Sidebottom Adams Phillips
HF Beams De Goey WHE
FF Elliott Mihocek Stephenson
R Grundy Pendlebury Treloar
I Mayne Sier Thomas Scharenberg

I really think a fit and firing Beams can add a whole new element to our side, I think time to * Cox off to the twos until he can learn to take a contested mark and stop falling over like a new born giraffe. All our small forwards except Thomas can take a lead up mark anyways.
I really love Scharenberg and desperately want to keep him - he will be an incredible player. Reminds me of Matthew Scarlett and I said that start of 2018.

Personally:

B Langdon Roughead Howe
HB Crisp Moore Maynard
C Sidebottom Adams Phillips
HF Beams De Goey WHE
FF Elliott Mihocek Stephenson
R Grundy Pendlebury Treloar
I Mayne Sier Thomas Scharenberg

I really think a fit and firing Beams can add a whole new element to our side, I think time to fu** Cox off to the twos until he can learn to take a contested mark and stop falling over like a new born giraffe. All our small forwards except Thomas can take a lead up mark anyways.
I really love Scharenberg and desperately want to keep him - he will be an incredible player. Reminds me of Matthew Scarlett and I said that start of 2018.

Your Centre and Ruck lines reflect our actual team but have been found badly wanting in terms of speed and hardness. That will only get worst if we keep two 300-gamers in there next year.

We need to really shake up our midfield if we are to succeed. Pendles and Sidey need to become flankers (Sidey forward, Pendles back) and we need to get guys like DeGoey Maynard Crisp Sier & Quaynor rotating through there much more extensively and eventually taking over altogether. I also don’t see a place for Phillips in a premiership-winning midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I enjoy picking a best 22 for the fun of it.
I then set the players up in neat lines F, HF, C, HB, B, FOLL, I/C.
The only times this remotely matches reality is at centre bounces with the 6-6-6 set up or when there is a stoppage/throw-in on the central wing.
The rest of the match I’m seeing one 50 clogged with numbers while the opposite 50 is empty. Players interchanging 90 times. Players running off after scoring a goal. Players stopping mid break away because there’s no one to kick it to. Players running madly towards their forward 50 into empty space. Players left by themselves as a loose man in defence. Players zoning off their men minding space.
I’m old and often befuddled by the game.

Interestingly I think that you could say that this years GF match up has two teams that have chosen approaches slightly out of the box. Richmond with it’s knock the ball forward and run approach embracing chaos and GWS with it’s very tall stoppage approach embracing structure.

My old school positions just don’t cut it.😊
Yep when a brilliant goal kicking half forward like Daniel Menzel can't get a gig because he doesn't run back hard enough to protect grass in defensive 50, you know it's a very different game than we grew up with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Howe, Roughead, Maynard
Quaynor, Schaz, Langdon
Aish, Crisp, Pendles
Murphy, Moore, Stephenson
Sidebottom, Mihocek, Elliot

Grundy, De Goey, Treloar

Sier, Beams*, Phillips, Noble.

Murphy, Howe or Schaz need to be moved forward. Also think Darcy has to play forward.

If we can’t get a superstar forward, we need to use the one we have.
Also not worth losing a superstar (Grundy,Moore or De Goey) in order to get a superstar KPF.

Howe, Roughead, Maynard
Quaynor, Schaz, Langdon
Aish, Crisp, Pendles
Murphy, Moore, Stephenson
Sidebottom, Mihocek, Elliot

Grundy, De Goey, Treloar

Sier, Beams*, Phillips, Noble.

Murphy, Howe or Schaz need to be moved forward. Also think Darcy has to play forward.

If we can’t get a superstar forward, we need to use the one we have.
Also not worth losing a superstar (Grundy,Moore or De Goey) in order to get a superstar KPF.

I would mind seeing Howe go forward. That would give the forward line a new look.

Langdon and sharenberg play the same role. So if they are both fit, one of them is still going to be left out - assuming sharenberg isn’t traded.
"If they are both fit". More likely if either of them happen to be fit.

Cheers.
When we got a stand alone VFL team I initially thought this would give us an advantage in development. I’ve often found it curious that very few players outside our draft picks progress through to the AFL squads from the VFL. Then we have Academy hopefuls also. It would seem that the draft and the academies almost play against the VFL as a development team. Could we be more creative with our VFL squad?
Have to defer to those like yourself and others more knowledgeable on the process hence my questions.
Thanks for the replies.

It's a vexing question. VFL has such a limited salary cap so you're pretty restricted on who you can attract. Teams (other than stand alone) generally rely on their senior and rookie list types to perform for the team to have success. Our injury profile over recent years has meant that many of the depth types have been either required at senior level, or injured, so often don't get the VFL games you'd like. Means draftees generally seem to be carrying the side. Look at Richmond (vomit inducing comparison). A healthy list meant a strong VFL side.

Quaynor Roughead Langdon
Howe Moore Pendlebury
WHE Adams Crisp
JDG Mihocek Stevenson
Cox Elliot Sidebottom

Grundy Maynard Treloar

Sier, Murphy, T. Brown, JT.
Beams??? if/when available

Left field ideas/ New Roles >>> Phillips @ Small forward (he finds the footy wherever he is and he can kick goals...handy half forward)
Noble @ rover in place of Treloar (has smarts and speed, kicks the ball ok as well)
Appleby @ tagger (Give Greenwood all year coaching him how)
Wilson @
Depth: Mayne, Reid, Varcoe, Cal Brown, Daicos, Kelly, Keane, Dunn, Tohill

Long Term Injury list: Greenwood

Retire: Wells, Goldsack (Shoulda been Reid)

Delist: Murray, Crocker, Madgen,

Trade or at least attempt to find new homes for: Shazz, Aish, Wills, Lynch (these guys are surplus to needs as it stands) Appleby is another but he might be "new roleable"

Quaynor Roughead Langdon
Howe Moore Pendlebury
WHE Adams Crisp
JDG Mihocek Stevenson
Cox Elliot Sidebottom

Grundy Maynard Treloar

Sier, Murphy, T. Brown, JT.
Beams??? if/when available

Left field ideas/ New Roles >>> Phillips @ Small forward (he finds the footy wherever he is and he can kick goals...handy half forward)
Noble @ rover in place of Treloar (has smarts and speed, kicks the ball ok as well)
Appleby @ tagger (Give Greenwood all year coaching him how)
Wilson @
Depth: Mayne, Reid, Varcoe, Cal Brown, Daicos, Kelly, Keane, Dunn, Tohill

Long Term Injury list: Greenwood

Retire: Wells, Goldsack (Shoulda been Reid)

Delist: Murray, Crocker, Madgen,

Trade or at least attempt to find new homes for: Shazz, Aish, Wills, Lynch (these guys are surplus to needs as it stands) Appleby is another but he might be "new roleable"

That’s hard on Aish, Wills. They played in the prelim and now they’re surplus!

Lucky to get more than 2 or 3 walk into the side in any given year

I've gone for Cameron, Howard and Bonar simply because they are all fairly cheap and we've been linked to them, Quaynor should establish as well

22:
Crisp Roughead Langdon
Howe Moore Pendlebury

Grundy Adams Treloar
Bonar Beams Maynard

Mihocek Stevo Sidebottom
De Goey Cameron Elliott

Int:
Sier WHE Phillips Quaynor

Either way, Tyler Brown needs to be playing. Even though Mayne has been a selfless warrior for the Pies over the past 2 years, he needs to make way for fresh young talent. T Brown, IQ, Kelly, Murphy need to be playing; particularly T Brown and IQ. We have to give Daicos a run at it to see if he is capable of making it.

Greenwood is a massive loss. If IQ can’t take his position, we need to recruit a Laird or someone like that. Maybe trade Phillips out for him. He is replaceable.

Greenwood, Mayne and Varcoe are in their last year at the club. A real pity Greenwood did is knee because he was sorely missed in the prelim. His strength and aggressive play was exactly what we needed in the conditions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back