Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree.

However the amount of PR BS being thrown out by Geelong and the Vic media is simply off the charts.

Happy for the two club's to play the Game of Trades and go through the motions. But the rhetoric and noise coming from Geelong is TBH disrespectful to the process.

I actually think it's about Wells and Scott being fearful for their jobs. Cats fans want blood and a pound of flesh. The Geelong president has publically criticised the foul nature and comments of Geelong fans. This is a rare mixture of anger and toxic backlash by Cats fans.

If Wells, Scott and the club dont put up a strong image there will be ramifications to careers down there.

I don't like Wells being in the media, it was a lot better when he kept quiet and got things done. Can we not sling him some extra bucks so he doesn't need to do the media stuff? The risk is someone makes a statement that winds up coming back to bite them (ie like we want a top ten pick).

Our club has been very well run for a long time now, but things are slipping. Chris Scott's increasingly poor attitude to the media (which means we Cats fans get the same lack of information from him which he seems to forget), Wells in the media thinking he is the Dodo (who nobody sane wants to emulate) and now we appoint James Sutherland to our board. Concerning.

You realize Geelong could say the exact same thing...right? Just change a few words - 'holding the Cats to ransom because of a player with autistic children and wants to move clubs is not a good look.'
Yes, that could be said. But at this stage I don't think WCE are, all the commentary around last year was everything was very respectful around the two clubs and I think that will happen again. I think a fair deal will get done.
My comment was in reference to another posters comments about trying to get Steven for a low pick. If he wanted to come to us, I'd be happy to do pick 24 for him as we're in a premiership window as are you guys.

Yep. When teams need to bid for an academy or father son selections points are relevant. When they dont the are totally irrelevant and its simply about the clubs achieving the picks they think will bring in the best players. Geelong has no early academy or father son selections this year, which means the points comparison is a waste of time. Geelong wont care if pick 24 and 33 equal points for pick 12 unless they can trade that to a team with bids to make. This year there are very few teams other than GWS who need to make early bids for players before pick 12 and they are way more likely to need to use their pick 12 and 18 to move up the draft for a green bid. In other words you are wasting your time comparing points for a top 13 pick as no team is in the market to need multiple later picks in exchange for an early pick.
The wce collingwood trade had nothing to with academy picks but the clubs seemed to have used the index evaluation

West Coast also swapped the 2018 future 1st for 3 second round picks in 2017 getting Allen Ryan and Petro as Gold Coast overated the earlier selection points wise. It didn't help that we were expected to slide but won the flag instead

Based on a realistic DVI, and expectations of future pick value at the time of trade, here are the four most relevant recent trades:

Dangerfield. 25. Uncontracted. Slightly better player. 1642 points.

Treloar. 22. Uncontracted. Worse player. 1981 points.

Neale. 25. Contracted. Similar ability. 1961 points.

Shiel. 25. Contracted. Worse player. 2040 points.

Kelly. 25. Uncontracted. 1785 points (assuming 14 and future first).

This is the dvi:

View attachment 759027

I think you'll find restricted free agents routinely go for less than uncontracted players when traded.

I heard it was West Coast fans posing as Geelong fans, very poor form from you lot - you should apologise ;)

Doubt it, the internet has not yet arrived in WA.

I post on BigFooty with the careful use of carrier pigeons.

Yes ethics is so blurred that we gave you 2 points and cost ourselves a finals spot in the process on the weekend when walsh was murdered. Collingwood and hawthorn disgracefully played football on the very evening after the murder. Most teams would of demanded 4 points with finals on the line. Eddie macguire definately would of. But we gave you two points that helped you make finals at our own expense.

Not to mention we decided to trade a free agent to you when we could of left you with nothing by bidding up dangers salary like every other club would have.

Geelong has always been overly kind to adelaide. In hindsight we should not of been as you have shown no appreciation.
Gave two points? Out of the four cos you going to win or out of our four cos we were going to win.
Besides that comment doesn’t really have bearing over the actual trade but yes I’m reminded of the trust that the clubs have in competition.
Geelong is a club in the comp that’s competes well.
Overly kind. Well, that questionable.
Don’t bring our coaches murder and result of that one week and your response into your draft and trading operations.
Even last yr people thought you couldn’t give away any more futures until you did with a loophole.
Bring our coaches murder into it...
Gagf

Agree.

However the amount of PR BS being thrown out by Geelong and the Vic media is simply off the charts.

Happy for the two club's to play the Game of Trades and go through the motions. But the rhetoric and noise coming from Geelong is TBH disrespectful to the process.

I actually think it's about Wells and Scott being fearful for their jobs. Cats fans want blood and a pound of flesh. The Geelong president has publically criticised the foul nature and comments of Geelong fans. This is a rare mixture of anger and toxic backlash by Cats fans.

If Wells, Scott and the club dont put up a strong image there will be ramifications to careers down there.

Lol, Wells has the safest job in the game I believe. What he has done throughout the past 20 seasons without a pick higher than 7 has been unprecedented.

Every single club would take him in a heartbeat.

Lol, Wells has the safest job in the game I believe. What he has done throughout the past 20 seasons without a pick higher than 7 has been unprecedented.

Every single club would take him in a heartbeat.

Wells will have a statue erected when all is said and done. Scott will end up with his face on people's dartboards.

No comparison!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I brought up this topic with a question that was read out by Callum Twomey's in the "Road to the Draft" podcast. I think last year. My question was around draft points and possibility of having negative points with particular trades. If a club gains by receiving the benefits of a player like Lynch then a points reconciliation should take place. Richmond gain Lynch but lose (value) points and Gold Coast lose player but gain a selection (value). The whole free player & priority selection drama is a complete mess. The system was not designed for these increasing movements.
I like your suggestion because it seeks to provide consistency. I don't fully understand how it would work. Are you saying that in the Lynch case, Richmond's first pick would have been devalued which would not allow them to use it until later in the draft? If this is the case then we still must have a method, other than contract value, for determining what the points value (or worth) of the moving player is.
I refer again to the impending Ellis move where it looks like Richmond are going to end up with effectively an extra (end of) first round pick for a non-required player simply because GC are paying him over the odds. If you were looking to trade Ellis there is no way a destination club would part with a first round pick. Personally I'd not give up a second round pick for him. I think he is an average player in a very good team and I don't think he will be of much value to GC. I like your method but determining value remains the question

The others were ideas numbnuts. This is actually whats going to happen. McGuinness will be bid on before their pick so they know it has no value to them. They are essentially coming to the table as a scratch our back deal to us. They get no value back in the sense the draft points are the same and those draft points go straight for McGuinness anyway but they lose no value too.

Heres one

If Eagles trade in Hawks pick 11, you go ban yourself, if they dont I ban myself

Bookmarked.

Looking forward to seeing what the equivalent of "by key player being a late withdrawal with a season-ending stress fracture I meant a second-year backup ruck being omitted with knee soreness" is this time.

I wish TK and his family all the best, first and foremost.

He and/or his manager have done themselves absolutely zero favours in how they have handled this, for the second time running. They are clearly trying to play the sympathy card when bringing up his disabled children (hopefully correct terminology here) and leverage a trade.

Seems a fairly logical and reasonable thing, that with multiple children and no family in Victoria, that he would want to return to Perth. No issues with that at all... By specifically nominating West Coast (again), it s**ts all over that narrative because it says "I want to get to West Coast" rather than I just need to be home in Perth. You cannot have it both ways.

Ok, the bloke is out of contract and wants to leave, that's fine. It happens. Save us the tripe about his reasons though, because the motives are pretty clear on this one.
No different to Dangerfield and Ablett naming ONLY Geelong. Both could have come home and played for any Vic club but both wanted Geelong. It's somehow not acceptable for Kelly to do the same?

I’m not arguing, just saying as of this minute TK is regarded in the top echelon of players in the league.
Wishing he wasn’t wont change his trade value.
I agree that he is in the top echelon but the post suggested close to top 5 but if you were to draft a team from the I suggest that he wouldn't be in your first 15 picks

I have to say I do like your solution to the free agency, great idea.
Since you like my suggestion, to illustrate the ridiculousness of the compensation system, and the true impact of my system on the way clubs would approach FA recruiting.. Consider this question.. do you think GC would give up their first round pick to get Ellis and Richmond's second round pick? Not a hope in hell and yet the AFL looks like placing that value on him.

That was a while ago and different circumstances as it was unknown how bad his OP was and he priced himself out of the market. Kelly is a top 5 player in the comp and in his prime, any club would take a risk on him.

Bulldogs would take a two year punt on him in a heartbeat. They are in a premiership window next few years

Back