Malthouse wants round 1 scrapped

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching legend Mick Malthouse says AFL should scrap Round 1 points, start again, when play eventually resumes
Every club managed to get one game in before the AFL season was last month suspended due to the coronavirus threat. With still no date for a return, coaching great Mick Malthouse says the AFL should clear the slate and begin again.
Mark Duffield, Sunday Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
April 11, 2020 4:59pm
Close

FOXSPORTS1:00
Dew approves AFL's cautious approach
AFL: Gold Coast Suns coach Stuart Dew has endorsed the AFL's decision to take things slow in regards to the resumption of the season.

MORE IN SPORT

Cheerleaders at the footy? It did happen!

Will we see Charlie Curnow in 2020?

Inside the extreme tension between Gaz and Bomber

similars

Three-time AFL premiership coach Mick Malthouse has called for round one of the 2020 season to be treated as a practice match and disregarded when the AFL season resumes after the coronavirus threat subsides.
Malthouse said there would be too big a gap between rounds one and two for the first games, played between March 19 and 22, to be relevant.
Speaking on ABC radio Malthouse also warned that even a 17 round season would have an asterisk, called for a top six finals series and warned the AFL against cutting lists to anything lower than 40 because it would penalise interstate clubs like West Coast and Fremantle.
Relive classic AFL matches from the 60s to today on KAYO SPORTS. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly
What-should-the-AFL-do_TOoH55pC4.jpg

What should the AFL do?
Round 1 results stand, keep points
Scrap Round 1 results, start from scratch
Cast your vote

“The round we have currently had has got to be a practice match. I cannot see how we can come back into round two let’s say two months after the first game,” he said.
“Round one should just be considered bad luck if you have had a good win.
“If you lost then it is good luck. It has got to be continuous. You can’t have this big gap going into round two.”
He said a 17 round season was the “bare minimum” but even that was not a genuine AFL season.
“There has still got to be an asterisk because it is not a true reflection of our current football season,” he said.

Mick Malthouse says the AFL season should start from scratch when it resumes. Picture: Mark Stewart
Mick Malthouse says the AFL season should start from scratch when it resumes. Picture: Mark Stewart
Teams with heavy travel loads tended to have more injury problems with players taking longer to recover, he said.
“The travelling sides get harder hit by injuries and not only do they get harder hit, they take longer to recover. They are the ones who have got to suffer here.”
And highly paid players had a “degree of selfishness” when it came to cutting lists and salary caps.

SUBSCRIBE TO SACKED HERE
“I cannot possibly believe that we are talking lists of less than 40 players,” he said.
“If there is a reduction in the salary cap.
“Let’s say the AFL says we can only afford $10 million.
“There will be high quality, high numbers, high number of games players will be saying, cut the list to 35 but that is okay, I am staying on my contract and that can fit into the new $10 million.
Under Malthouse’s proposal, his former club, Collingwood, would lose the four points for its Round 1 win over Western Bulldogs. Picture: AAP
Under Malthouse’s proposal, his former club, Collingwood, would lose the four points for its Round 1 win over Western Bulldogs. Picture: AAP
MORE AFL:
Howe ready for ‘worst case scenario’
Inside the extreme tension between Gaz and Bomber
“I don’t think some players have a real feel for the 44th and 43rd player, they go well bad luck.”
“I would say it is their bad luck. Fit 40 players into the $10 million cap and if the top player has to go from $1 million down to $750,000 then bad luck.”
“You have got to have 40 players and then let the administrators fit those 40 players into the new salary cap because clearly we can’t afford to keep paying $13 million.”
“I wouldn’t have any more than six teams play off in the finals – the old top six. It is totally compromised.
“Get the season over and done with so it doesn’t start cutting into and interfering with 2021.”

Who gives a fat rats what Mick thinks?
Every single team went into round one knowing ahead of time, that the season was going to get interrupted or suspended at some stage. The AFL certainly told the fans in advance.
Would any club have fielded anything close to their best 22 if they thought the 4 points were going to be scrapped later? Another dumb comment from Mick.

Remember this is the guy who also couldn't see how Carlton could lose a game preseason in their spoon year.

Geriatric Mick keeps ruining what little he has left of his legacy every time he speaks out.

How about we form a pact to not post about MM or his opinions anymore?

Awww come on AD. It’s very tempting while MM is still trying to get his mug in the media. He’s a big target, especially when we’re all bored.:rolleyes:

Any MM article should be flagged with an asterisk.

He has all the answers and is always willing to preach the gospel of the church of Mick.

People here seem to forget that he took us to 4 GFs and a flag. Apart from 03... we were very competitive in the other GFs losing only to generational teams the Lions and the Cats. The boys played for Mick.

I don’t agree with his opinion but I’ll always value it

He does himself a disservice by coming across as adamant and all-knowing. He isn't offering an opinion, he is prescribing his dogma.

There were no advantages and disadvantages offered with his beliefs to help people form a balanced view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would place an even bigger asterisk on the season. There would be a lot of debate and drama if sides missed key ladder positions with a round 1 result being reversed on the subsequent replacement meeting.

Plus try telling the debutants and their families that their first game doesn’t count.

People here seem to forget that he took us to 4 GFs and a flag. Apart from 03... we were very competitive in the other GFs losing only to generational teams the Lions and the Cats. The boys played for Mick.

I don’t agree with his opinion but I’ll always value it
Each side can say it and Malthouse has unfairly been whacked/downplayed since leaving the club, but a couple of different decisions here and there and we may have won another couple. Had we even won one more under Malthouse I have doubt that he'd regarded as one of our greatest coaches and it shows just how much emphasis there is one getting everything right on that last day. If a move or decision comes off a coach is genius, if it doesn't (especially more than once) their legacy can be tarnished.

‘03 was always going to be difficult without Rocca, playing Jason Cloke forward didn’t help.

‘07 a prelim loss in a game that was seconds too short. Taking nothing away from Fraser who I think would have had a better career as a forward with occasional stints in the ruck, we’d been crying out for a dominant physical ruck since Keating smashed us in 02/03. With Fraser injured Bryan and Richards were smashed by Ottens.

‘11 the season started going downhill after the footy show interview. Coincidence with a tiring side perhaps?? What doesn’t have the same doubt is the decision to leave an injured Reid on Hawkins once Podsiadly went down.

The same questions can be asked about not rolling the dice on Moore in ‘18. Just a pity we didn't have a VFL game prelim weekend.

Last edited:
"media personality with nothing to talk about deliberately says something controversial to get attention"
Nail head hammer.

It’s very simple.

IF there is a season 2020 then Round 1 stands.
it was played in good faith and as part of the 2020 season.

If there is no season 2020, then Round 1 stands as a recorded round of an abandoned season.

That simple.

Then 2021 gets its own season it starts afresh.

So Malthouse is annoying, nothing new there.

Malthouse has a huge ego and will never be zipped in the media. He is bitter and will always hate Bucks. I wonder if we had lost would he have called for it to be scrapped.

Malthouse has a huge ego and will never be zipped in the media. He is bitter and will always hate Bucks. I wonder if we had lost would he have called for it to be scrapped.
To be fair to Uncle Mick, it’s more likEly he is saying something to generate himself into discussion than a simple whack Collingwood. He reminds me a bit of Kevin Rudd and Malcolm Turnbull with that ongoing biterness he tends to project.

At the end, he makes himself small.
And so unecessary as he’s won 3 flags as coach.
A little grace goes a long way.
A pinch of bitterness lasts just as long.

Why do people think Malthouse is targetting Collingwood here? He is not at all. He is offering his opinion (yes, opinion)., and that is not a unique view.

And the comment about how he is the 'definition of irrelevant'? Is Matthews irrelevant? Or Sheedy? He is a highly experienced and successful former coach (in fact the longest serving coach of all time). It is reasonable that his opinions are reported through the media.

I'm no Malthouse fan in particular, but surely people recognise their bias in their comments on this.

Each side can say it and Malthouse has unfairly been whacked/downplayed since leaving the club, but a couple of different decisions here and there and we may have won another couple. Had we even won one more under Malthouse I have doubt that he'd regarded as one of our greatest coaches and it shows just how much emphasis there is one getting everything right on that last day. If a move or decision comes off a coach is genius, if it doesn't (especially more than once) their legacy can be tarnished.

‘03 was always going to be difficult without Rocca, playing Jason Cloke forward didn’t help.

‘07 a prelim loss in a game that was seconds too short. Taking nothing away from Fraser who I think would have had a better career as a forward with occasional stints in the ruck, we’d been crying out for a dominant physical ruck since Keating smashed us in 02/03. With Fraser injured Bryan and Richards were smashed by Ottens.

‘11 the season started going downhill after the footy show interview. Coincidence with a tiring side perhaps?? What doesn’t have the same doubt is the decision to leave an injured Reid on Hawkins once Podsiadly went down.

The same questions can be asked about not rolling the dice on Moore in ‘18. Just a pity we didn't have a VFL game prelim weekend.

I am a big Buckley fan, but I think leaving Moore out of the GF was a bigger mistake than leaving Reid (who says he was injured?) on Hawkins. Hawkins just happened to have the best game of his career to date. It was the players fault for being unable to convert our early chances - Mick couldn't kick it for them.

Why do people think Malthouse is targetting Collingwood here? He is not at all. He is offering his opinion (yes, opinion)., and that is not a unique view.

And the comment about how he is the 'definition of irrelevant'? Is Matthews irrelevant? Or Sheedy? He is a highly experienced and successful former coach (in fact the longest serving coach of all time). It is reasonable that his opinions are reported through the media.

I'm no Malthouse fan in particular, but surely people recognise their bias in their comments on this.
I made that comment about Malthouse being irrelevant, and I stand by it. His achievements in the game are certainly not irrelevant. His views today are though, the game has passed him by. I would say the same about Sheedy, although I think Lethal still carries relevance. Lethal doesn’t seek attention to satisfy his ego, and has a greater standing in the game as a top coach and player.

I am a big Buckley fan, but I think leaving Moore out of the GF was a bigger mistake than leaving Reid (who says he was injured?) on Hawkins. Hawkins just happened to have the best game of his career to date. It was the players fault for being unable to convert our early chances - Mick couldn't kick it for them.

Agree Moore would have been the difference, but he was hardly convincing nor putting himself in the frame/hand up for selection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back