Autopsy Roos lose to the Dogs - Round 5, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

You were not the only one who thought we jumped the gun a bit there but hey, it’s only season 1, still a long way to go, plenty of time to turn things around and also a pretty unique season
Think most teams will have short form runs and this (unfortunately) is our time to suck, the draw might open up for us to turn it around in the next few weeks
I'm not as optimistic mate. If we can't win under the roof in perfect conditions, we are going to struggle outdoors in the elements at night at Metricon. Better skilled sides (which is almost everyone) will have our measure.

We just had 3 games at home, should have won at least 1, but blew them all. Our season is done.

if you told me at the start that we would successfully tag bont out of the game, knock out bailey in the first quarter and dogs already missing hunter and Dunkley you would assume we dominate especially with English as their ruck

Guess not
our mids bar jy are s**t

bring in the bon and Ahern

The calls in here to bring in Durdin are baffling. He's nothing more than an honest battler, he's not the answer to our problems. I could be wrong, but I don't think he's been named emergency once in the 5 games so far.
Yeah but we're all looking for answers. I think we've all cottoned on that there are none. The list needs a comlpete overhaul.

It's beyond the 10 years of Brad, it goes back to the 8 years of Laids as well. We've not had any success as a club since we decided to squeeze Denis out.

See, I reckon he's been slow to make the hard calls. He coached this team for 12 games last year, that should have been enough time for him to realise that blokes like JMac, Ats, etc, are average footballers who are not going to take this team forward. They are not going to be part of our next flag.
Why did we have to waste another season to realise what was already evident?

It’s not 12 months, it’s 96 months.

2013 was the year this was unearthed, 2000 and ******* 13.

up until last night I had been positive due to the similarities between this year and 1993, I still think we tend to overlook the growing pains the 90s side and we as fans, endured.

We should be looking at Macrae’s brother as well as another dynamic skilled two running non soft utensil mid.

when that holding the ball wasn’t paid, I did a two-footed dolphin kick and cracked a floorboard... literally two minutes after telling my brother I’m no longer emotionally invested in this utensil teasing senior playing group.

Luke, Hayden, Taylor and Simpkin fantastic effort lads!

Add Perez, Comben, LDU, Larkey, Scott and Walker all look promising.

We are in a better position than 2009 but only through sheer luck rather than good management.

Carnts for making me believe again.

Last edited:
It's beyond the 10 years of Brad, it goes back to the 8 years of Laids as well. We've not had any success as a club since we decided to squeeze Denis out.

See, I reckon he's been slow to make the hard calls. He coached this team for 12 games last year, that should have been enough time for him to realise that blokes like JMac, Ats, etc, are average footballers who are not going to take this team forward. They are not going to be part of our next flag.

I don't buy the "not going to be part of our next flag" line - blokes like Ross Smith, Peter German and Matty Larkin in the late 80s/early 90s ended up "not being part of the next flag" but were significant players whose input was essential to a young side in transition. The problem with Hall, Atley, Macmillian isn't so much they aren't going to be in our next flag alone, it's that they aren't going to be in our next flag AND aren't contributing now. They offer nothing in either the long or short term.

Aside from that, you're right. A change of coach should have had some blokes shitting their pants that their career was over. Other blokes who had been in the wings would have seen it as an opportunity. But neither has happened. Only Taylor and Hayden have been playing this year having not been given much of a go under Brad. Only Hrovat was moved on at the end of last year. It's the same team, with the same flaws under a rookie coach who, to be fair, has been outcoached horribly for the past few weeks and not yet done anything visibly on or off field to change anything. I like him and think he'll get there, but for the first time, he's under pressure and needs to learn quickly.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I wasn't convinced on Shaw when he was appointed, and I'm less than convinced now over 12 months later. He seems out of his depth, with poor selection choices, being out coached now 3 weeks in a row, and clearly not focusing on skills at training.

I wanted Teague, he's a good operator, and makes sense when he talks.
Senior coaching requires an entirely different skill set to assistant coaching. It's a management position first and foremost, with much of the football specific stuff being delegated down the line. Being a good assistant coach doesn't automatically mean you will be a good senior coach. As such, nobody can really know how an untried coach will go until they're in the chair. And that's exactly why clubs like hiring them - if it doesn't come off, you don't look like a turkey.

Having said all of that, I don't think we're yet at the point where we can accurately judge Shaw. He is still largely working with an inherited team and is operating in an extremely unstable environment with the whole COVID thing. If we're putting in performances like this 12 months from now then it will be time to raise questions.

Bruce kicked six.

FMD.

Reminded me of how we made Cam McCarthy look like Wayne Carey last year and he hasn't fired a shot since.

Let us face reality, Goldy and Higgo are 32ish, Ziebell reminds me of Adams in the last few years of his career (just plain off the pace), Jacobs is cactus and Daw is lucky to be alive, let alone playing football. Tarrant is getting on.

JMAC and Atley are the most underwhelming players to have been gifted 150/200 games.

We need a clean out.

Reminded me of how we made Cam McCarthy look like Wayne Carey last year and he hasn't fired a shot since.

Let us face reality, Goldy and Higgo are 32ish, Ziebell reminds me of Adams in the last few years of his career (just plain off the pace), Jacobs is cactus and Daw is lucky to be alive, let alone playing football. Tarrant is getting on.

JMAC and Atley are the most underwhelming players to have been gifted 150/200 games.

We need a clean out.
Tarrant is peaking and his missed few years should mean he has a few left. Cunnington is our best/2nd best player and approaching 30 with a bad back.

Exactly, do you honestly expect Shaw to change 18 years of embedded culture in 15 games?

Clarko is going to be HOF coach have a look at his first 2 years as Head coach..

EE26784C-43AF-45FA-815C-74CA97D4B00D.png

Exactly, do you honestly expect Shaw to change 18 years of embedded culture in 15 games?

Clarko is going to be HOF coach have a look at his first 2 years as Head coach..

View attachment 906412

He also had the luxury of having the first big call in his coaching career being what to do with 3 of the first 7 picks in a strong draft. Once he got that right with Roughead, Franklin and Lewis, alongside a 20yo Luke Hodge and a 22yo Sam Mitchell, his path to 'genius' was off to a good start.

But he also moved on long-serving players like Barlow, Cox, Thompson, Picione, McCabe, Graham and Tallis.

Clarko walked into a draft of Franklin, Roughead and Lewis.

Great coach, but he got it on a platter.

Shaw walked in to a another mid placed finish and we traded the pick anyway. Let's hope this years 2 picks are both top 5.
Exactly right, very few great coaches don’t have great sides..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also had the luxury of having the first big call in his coaching career being what to do with 3 of the first 7 picks in a strong draft. Once he got that right with Roughead, Franklin and Lewis, alongside a 20yo Luke Hodge and a 22yo Sam Mitchell, his path to 'genius' was off to a good start.

But he also moved on long-serving players like Barlow, Cox, Thompson, Picione, McCabe, Graham and Tallis.
Yep spot on see my last answer, a great coach usually has a great side.. and thats why Im giving Shaw the benefit of the doubt and lets see how he and Brady do this off season.

Jy was superb in the first half last night. However, it’s going to take time for him to be able to sustain his performance for three quarters +. Are we prepared to live with the floggings that will likely ensue if we load up on young mids? We’ll likely be competitive for first halves and get steamrolled after that. I’m not necessarily saying it’s the wrong way to go, but... Carlton comes to mind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is where the discussion gets to age focused. It is about whether Player A is good enough to fulfil the role. If not, you look elsewhere. There may be a transition at first but usually the options are younger. However, most of our younger players have still had 2 or 3 years at least in the system so there is no reason they can't make the jump.

HB. It is bad, but they have added Hayden to the mix, great. As he begins to get comfortable, then you can add another in the mix.

What kills us is identifying a players ability, eg Ziebell not being a mid, then deciding when in trouble to go back to said player instead of grooming the next in line. It means you never get the player you need just because you are trying to satisfy the senior player you have.

We desperately need good ball users and decision makers off the half-back flank. We just aren't generating any scores out of the back half.

JJ and Daniel had as much of the footy as Atley, JMac, Pittard and Williams combined.

Get Zac Williams. Get Perez fit. Try Bailey Scott/Murphy/Will Walker back there.

The back six is in dire need of a shake up.

I briefly posted about it last night but the Dogs have beaten us the same way they've beaten us for the last 5 years. With fast ball movement on the outside and quick rebound footy. Someone post the screenshot about how like eight Dogs players including their ruckman had more possessions than our highest possession getter. That is just pure Dogs vs North footy. We haven't figured out how to play against a team of seagulls that hate contact and love whipping it around outside the packs because we don't have players that can do the same. I fear that we'll continue to play against teams that realise we still don't have any outside pace and we still want to drag the game into the trenches where we're incredibly effective, and we'll get flogged because we can't adjust

Yep spot on see my last answer, a great coach usually has a great side.. and thats why Im giving Shaw the benefit of the doubt and lets see how he and Brady do this off season.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt too. But my point is that Clarko took over a mess but immediately got busy making a great side. But by taking over a mess, he got the benefit of multiple high picks. He also traded aggressively (Thommo) and shipped off the cloggers. He also won just 14 games in his first two years. Shaw didn't have the high picks so invested into this year's draft with the Melbourne trade. But aside from that, this year seems like a holding year with the same sort of side being picked each week as what Scott was doing until a big clean-out and draft at the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back