Opinion MODERATE ideas for a 'fairer' AFL without the hyperbole of VIC & non-VIC trolls. TROLLS FROM BOTH SIDES PLEASE KEEP OUT

Remove this Banner Ad

thats been disputed by anyone with an eye on the ratings for a start, and recent comments in the media.
The same media that constantly describes a trip to perth as the hardest trip in footy?

The ratings were posted a few pages ago - the split was around 45/55% in line with the split of 8/10 clubs.

You point to one example when theres been eagles, adelaide, sydney, eagles , sydney, fremantle, sydney in this decade.....

*shakes head

Which of those clubs (and which year) were unable to sell their allocation of tickets for the Grand Final?

1. Fixture remains at 17 rounds as per this year.
2. Rotating fixture (H&A) every other year.
3. No team travels to any state more than once. Eg; West Coast play one SA, NSW, QLD team home each year and the other away (with the exception of Victoria for obvious reasons).
4. No team travels to any state less than once.
5. Victoria clubs are split evenly between MCG/Marvel+KP each year so interstate clubs will play at least a couple of games at the MCG.
6. No team travels to a state to play a game if that state/territory does not host an actual team (Tas, NT, ACT) UNLESS there is an approval prior to fixturing by the furtherest travelling side (financial compensation discussions allowed).
7. In finals, highest ranked side is allowed to play at the venue with which they played the majority of their home games during the season (ie. Geelong playing at KP and North at Marvel).
8. The league working towards standardised fields of play to mimic the dimensions of the MCG (if the GF is there perpetually and that is considered the home of football then write the dimensions into legislation of the game).
9. Clubs allowed to spend whatever they wish to travel to/from interstate games.
10. Stagger byes so that two teams miss per week say between rounds 7 to 15.
11. Teams returning from the bye play the following Thursday night.
12. Highest ranked side in the competition is afforded more ballot tickets for the grand final on a ratio of 2:1 to give the club an opportunity to replicate a home stadium support.
Yeah so Vic teams give up there home ground so interstate clubs can get on the G

The ratings were posted a few pages ago - the split was around 45/55% in line with the split of 8/10 clubs.

Thats not the case in the north and you know it. Its also not the split I posted. And the Victorian market is still the second highest value market in the league by a fair margin to advertisers.

Thats not the case in the north.
That was the split in the ratings posted by a vic team supporter.

It was discussed back then - you are welcome to go over it

if wa and sa team supporters are pumpingup the ratings on behalf of non heartland states so be it - weunderstand the reasoning

In all seriousness they should look at Friday night double headers bring the ESB games forward for a 7:20 start and then have a 7:50 start time in WA. Fox footy can take the games back to back. The eagles or dockers at 7:50 in WA will rate way better than Pies v Blues starting at 5:50 WA time.

Also it means when Friday night footy is in Perth it’s not a 6:10 start making it difficult for people to get there from work

That was the split in the ratings posted by a vic team supporter.

It was discussed back then - you are welcome to go over it

if wa and sa team supporters are pumpingup the ratings on behalf of non heartland states so be it - weunderstand the reasoning

I wonder who posted it.

Its 47% non victorian metro ratings to 53% victorian metro ratings this season as of right now. Sydney and Brisbane make up 12% between them.

aflmetroR1-52020.png

Last edited:

Did you not actually read my post (despite quoting it)??

How is "I want other people to pay for my airfare" a Moderate idea??

There's only one example in the past decade where an interstate side couldn't sell their full allocation of Grand Final tickets--- and that was GWS. Do you think that more GWS members would've flown to Melbourne if flights were cheaper?? Every other interstate Grand Final team has been able to sell all their tickets, so the genuine difference for teams with this initiative is nothing--- except making a few people happier that they've got cheaper flights. :rolleyes:

Do you think that more GWS supporters would've gone to the Grand Final if their flights were subsided?

Other than GWS--- it makes no difference to getting interstate supporters to Grand Finals except put a financial penalty on the majority of supporters to provide a convenience for a few. I'm sure that the ACCC would have an absolute field day about GF ticket prices varying based on where someone lived.

With each passing page you agree with any suggestion from the West, no matter how irrational and bizarre it is.

Did you not actually read my post (despite quoting it)??

Do you think that more GWS supporters would've gone to the Grand Final if their flights were subsided?

Other than GWS--- it makes no difference to getting interstate supporters to Grand Finals except put a financial penalty on the majority of supporters to provide a convenience for a few. I'm sure that the ACCC would have an absolute field day about GF ticket prices varying based on where someone lived.

With each passing page you agree with any suggestion from the West, no matter how irrational and bizarre it is.
Im not a fan of adjusting ticket prices but with the current set up an interstate fan pays a hell of a lot more than a victorian fan

I wonder who posted it.

Its 47% non victorian metro ratings to 53% victorian metro ratings this season as of right now. Sydney and Brisbane make up 12% between them.

View attachment 907106
So big vic teams are propping up little vic teams and big interstate clubs are propping up little interstate clubs?

Im not a fan of adjusting ticket prices but with the current set up an interstate fan pays a hell of a lot more than a victorian fan

So you agree with what I was saying (that adjusting ticket prices is a silly spot), then why were you trying to correct me (without fully reading my post)--- your parochial fool?

I'm not saying that you don't pay more to travel to a Grand Final (I know the experience as a Melbourne Storm supporter with the NRL), but I'm saying it's a ridiculous idea put up by another poster that wouldn't make a meaningful change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with the AFL grand final being played at a neutral ground each year?

I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with the AFL selling the Grand Final as part of a $500 million agreement to upgrade resources that the AFL uses (including $225 million to upgrade Marvel Stadium--- the asset that is currently allowing the AFL to continue).

I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with the AFL grand final being played at a neutral ground each year?
Victorians dont

as long as you accept their definition of a neutral ground being the mcg andthe home ground ofa heap of victorian teams.

I don't understand how anyone could have an issue with the AFL selling the Grand Final as part of a $500 million agreement to upgrade resources that the AFL uses (including $225 million to upgrade Marvel Stadium--- the asset that is currently allowing the AFL to continue).
Did they put it to tender to see if they could have got for for bare minimum 2+ billion dollars worth of product?

So you agree with what I was saying (that adjusting ticket prices is a silly spot), then why were you trying to correct me (without fully reading my post)--- your parochial fool?

I'm not saying that you don't pay more to travel to a Grand Final (I know the experience as a Melbourne Storm supporter with the NRL), but I'm saying it's a ridiculous idea put up by another poster that wouldn't make a meaningful change.
I jumped in on the principle that something should be done not in agrerment with his specific idea

This discussion is several pages

Did they put it to tender to see if they could have got for for bare minimum 2+ billion dollars worth of product?

Did the South Australian Government approach the AFL regarding the Grand Final extension when they were upgrading the Adelaide Oval? Or did the Western Australian government do the same when they were building Optus Stadium?

Daniel Andrews (regardless of what people think of him currently) made a wise political move by attaching an extension of the Grand Final to the Marvel Stadium funding upgrades (as well as the AFLW/AFL training & playing facilities. It is the way it is--- yet somehow people post over 300 times in this thread (and probably thousands across other threads) going around in circles about how it's #VICBIAS and unfair. The people you should be blaming isn't the AFL-- but your State Premier for not having the foresight that Daniel Andrews did.

I jumped in on the principle that something should be done not in agrerment with his specific idea

This discussion is several pages

So you jumped in on a conversation you didn't read because I was a Victorian posting against a Western Australian :rolleyes:

Talk about parochialism.

Which of those clubs (and which year) were unable to sell their allocation of tickets for the Grand Final?
To be fair though, only wealthy Interstate supporters can afford the trip and leaves the average, but just as invested, supporter unable to see a GF. Average Vic supporters without having to pay ludicrous airfares can get to support their team in a final. In my eyes this is unfair.

Because it’s inherently unfair? Should we have sold the rights to Perth to guarantee $1 Billion in funding for Optus?

And yes, there’ll always be unfairness in the AFL fixture, but we should be working to minimise that instead of signing deals that last for 20 extra years that in total will take 37(!!!) years to expire. That’s insane.

To be fair though, only wealthy Interstate supporters can afford the trip and leaves the average, but just as invested, supporter unable to see a GF. Average Vic supporters without having to pay ludicrous airfares can get to support their team in a final. In my eyes this is unfair.

My sentiment is that IF this ridiculous idea was implemented it wouldn't make that big of a difference anyway as it's just as likely the wealthy interstate members will still purchase all the allocated Grand Final tickets, therefore the "average supporter" missing out in the same way because subsided flights aren't going to magically make more tickets available.

No different than a wealthier member of a Victoria club is more likely to get a Grand Final ticket (eg. Richmond has the Maurice Rioli Club which provides guaranteed Grand Final tickets) than the average supporter either due to way priorities are made towards GF ticketing.

Because it’s inherently unfair? Should we have sold the rights to Perth to guarantee $1 Billion in funding for Optus?

And yes, there’ll always be unfairness in the AFL fixture, but we should be working to minimise that instead of signing deals that last for 20 extra years that in total will take 37(!!!) years to expire. That’s insane.

If that's what the AFL thought was in the best interest of the competition.

Marvel Stadium is currently the lifeline that's keeping the competition--- without this funding agreement to upgrade it from the Victorian Government there's no guarantee that loan would still exist and your club would even still be playing.

Did the South Australian Government approach the AFL regarding the Grand Final extension when they were upgrading the Adelaide Oval? Or did the Western Australian government do the same when they were building Optus Stadium?

Daniel Andrews (regardless of what people think of him currently) made a wise political move by attaching an extension of the Grand Final to the Marvel Stadium funding upgrades (as well as the AFLW/AFL training & playing facilities. It is the way it is--- yet somehow people post over 300 times in this thread (and probably thousands across other threads) going around in circles about how it's #VICBIAS and unfair. The people you should be blaming isn't the AFL-- but your State Premier for not having the foresight that Daniel Andrews did.
*sits there thinking about all the other sports where there is no tender and they sign it up a decade or more before the Current contract ends

Noone disputing that dan got the deal of the century for victoria.

he kind of had the inside track though didnt he.

*sits there thinking about all the other sports where there is no tender and they sign it up a decade or more before the Current contract ends

Noone disputing that dan got the deal of the century for victoria.

he kind of had the inside track though didnt he.

You mean like the NRL did with the NSW Government right for 25 years?

And after that it doesnt really matter does it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back