Review Geelong defeats Lions by 27 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Go you good things! Ripper win! How good was that third quarter. One of the best in ages.!! Love Rohan's attack on the ball too. They tried to rough us up but we gave it back with interest.

Danger was huge tonight. How good was Simpson too. Absolutely loved this win. Most thought we would lose.

Yeah Cattas!!!
Q2 they seemed to be getting quite uppity. O'Connor gave back in defense of one of his teammates, and one of them did something to PFD just at the end that royally pissed him off. I'd like to think that they went into the rooms at the half, got together and said "eff these *****s". That's want you to see.

Simpson has never impressed me any time I've seen him in the AFL or the VFL. Tonight was easily the best I've ever seen him play. I'll be curious to see if he can build on it and if so, whose spot in the side he takes when everyone is available.

It's lucky those at the club aren't as harsh in their judgement as you. As a lightly built 18-year-old rookie he showed good signs in 2017. He's had injuries since then but has tried his guts out in the VFL, which was recognised with the B&F last season. Clearly earned his (long-awaited) recall.

But you're right, he's never played as well as last night. Long way to go but he's on his way.

Amazing that some are putting the win down to Scott “finally letting go of a stubborn hold on a slow game plan and finally embracing fast play.”

I guess next time we lose it will be because he “couldn’t resist returning to a slow game plan”.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Hawkins. He is having a great year. Their was a passage of play where he took a kick into the forward 50, saw it was a two on one (Joel being the one) so kicked it to the boundary side of Joel, then ran forward to do the ruck from the throw in. He’s having a great year.
Yes is moving well. Seems to have got the balance right with his body. Light enough to be agile but strong enough for the 1 on 1s. Is the key player in any flag bid.

If Sav can begin holding those marks we will then have an ok forward structure.

Get impression with Ratagolea he is like one of Bart Cummings cup horses that thrive on having the work poured into them

Amazing that some are putting the win down to Scott finally letting go of a stubborn hold on a slow game plan and finally embracing fast play.

I guess next time we lose it will be because he “couldn’t resist returning to a slow game plan”.

But he doesn't have a plan B....

Doesn't mean he should. We saw what dropping him for a young player did tonight.

Would have struggled to win with him in the side tonight. A lot of those great chains of play would have broken down with him, and he wouldn't have been able to go in as hard as his teammates. Doesn't have the fitness for the repeat efforts. Let us down for the last 3 games and would have done so tonight. Simpson earned his callup; maybe Steven should be made to earn his. Do the hard work, get fit.

Wait...... EARN a recall you say?

Interesting.

Amazing that some are putting the win down to Scott “finally letting go of a stubborn hold on a slow game plan and finally embracing fast play.”

Definitely more to it than just releasing the shackles. Hawkins pulling Andrews up the ground, switching the play further forward to take advantage of the short wide ground, adjusting to two midfielders going down using Simpson and Menegola were all coaching adjustments that had a big impact. The slow play out of the backline does have me ripping my hair out but understandable in a game when we are two players down from the six minute mark.

A big part of the way the game went last night IMO is at no time did we have one passenger on the ground,we competed in the air on the ground and spread the load,Sam Simpson got fit enough to run out a full game as a mid with no footy let Steven do the same,Steven should have been ripped(no pun intended) in March we have mollycoddled him and it should stop now let him be the master of his own destiny,set him some fitness goals to work on then look again in 3 or 4 weeks.

Yes is moving well. Seems to have got the balance right with his body. Light enough to be agile but strong enough for the 1 on 1s. Is the key player in any flag bid.

Get impression with Ratagolea he is like one of Bart Cummings cup horses that thrive on having the work poured into them

I feel as if he's is like a 2009 Hawkins, He is marking everything up the ground, its only time and confidence before he puts everything together.

Absolute ageists and front runners, looking to slag off our prime personnel when Lions were leading.
Not since the biggest front runner turncoat of them all, Robert Walls, has a commentator been so wrong.
I'm glad Plough had a good shot, Bwuce and cronies should be more accountable.
Bruce just cannot shut up.
Watched a game from years ago and he was commentating -sounded like a different guy.
Measured and astute (well..sort of :rolleyes: )
Now he is just a joke with verbal diarrhoea.
Ironically He is the sad old guy who needs to call it a day.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't say I expected 27 touches from him, but I had a lot of faith in him showing his ability.
27 touches (the equivalent of 34 in the full-length game) - and a lot of hard ball in the second half - was so far beyond anything I expected of him, it was nuts.

A bit of a testament to our player development again - 53rd in the Rookie Draft. Google says 180cm and 74kg - if he's still only 74, I'll eat my working-from-home setup. Looks like he's in fantastic shape.

Measured and astute
Now he is just a joke with verbal diarrhoea.
Ironically He is the sad old guy who needs to call it a day.
Something tells me that some wonk at Channel 7 told him he needed to be "more entertaining like Brian Taylor" and unfortunately he took it to heart.

Some commentators - Tim Lane and Gerard Whateley are two others who come to mind - are born to play it straight, and they are very, very good at it.

What impressed me about Fort was how good he is on the ground, diving into packs with genuine agility for a big man.
I'd also like to think that with a bit more experience and confidence at the level, he could also hurt sides on the scoreboard in the AFL.

He's still getting pushed aside a bit by the bigger bodies, but is at least making up for it on the ground.

Defence conceded 6 goals.
Not one of them played poorly and they stood tall tonight.

what a huge difference it makes defending when the ball comes down pressured and long high bomb kicks into defensive fifty as opposed to bullet like silver service passes.

defense starts up the ground with how you affect the oppositions movement and transition and our boys applied pressure around the ball carrier and contests beautifully

I'd also like to think that with a bit more experience and confidence at the level, he could also hurt sides on the scoreboard in the AFL.

He's still getting pushed aside a bit by the bigger bodies, but is at least making up for it on the ground.

His endeavor to use enough strength in ruck contests without getting penalized impressed me too.
Didn't give away silly frees in the ruck.

What impressed me about Fort was how good he is on the ground, diving into packs with genuine agility for a big man.
Very good football brain, makes the absolute maximum use of his limited physical attributes.
And if he can't win the hitout, he neutralises the opponent, even when the opponent "wins" the hitout - eg Gawn had 1 hitout to advantage at 1/2 time.

Did anyone else notice Bruce Mac in the channel seven commentary could hardly keep his pants on with excitement about Brisbane rolling us first half, then when we stormed all over them second half he was quite quiet and calm??

think a lot of commentators are sick of seeing us winning

Interesting analogy; Gold and Black was a great cup winning nag trained by Bart ... and with a South Pacific lineage. 🏇

Remove this Banner Ad

Back