Autopsy vs Richmond - Rd 7, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

A small one that gave me the shits.

Early in the game, Josh Walker took a mark. His opponent held on to him, and Walker had to push him off to get back and take his kick. He kicked to an open forward line that would have led to a shot on goal.

The ump dragged it back as he didn't like the 'force' of the push off. So not only did he stop a clear shot at goal, if he had to push off, it should have been an automatic 50.
Everyone saying we don't get ****ed by the umps misses that stuff. Last week an opposition player touched the ball as someone threw it to Jy to take a free about 20m out from their goal. Why no 50? Anyone?

At another point someone, maybe Bolton, held onto the ball for 10 seconds, or while I counted to ten steadily. Longer than you have to kick before the ump calls play on. While he was standing the mark and our player was screaming for the ball. Why no 50? Anyone?

The Tiges all streamed back while this was happening. and clogged our next line. It happened against to the Hawks and * repeatedly too.

Compare this to the 50 against Tarrant when Hayden gave away a free to the Hawks (Breust?) on their 50 m line. Breust had no hands free so rather than throw the ball at him Tarrant put it on the ground next to him and ran to make position, clearly within the spirit of the rule if not the letter.

Last night a free then 50 to Martin against Polec led to one of their goals. What was that even for? At one point the commentators sounded confused and even wondered why it wasn't a down the ground free. Which would have still given the new a slightly better position. So there was a questionable 50 that cost us another goal. And yes I know what it's for, it's for something that happens to our players repeatedly in games. I thought it was just a free we we're missing not a free and 50 or a free downfield. What is that s**t even for?

Why is it always so one sided?

If that was us Walker was playing against in that incident SDS mentioned it'd have been another 50 against us and a probable goal based on what I have seen.

So again ... Why is this s**t so one sided?

I don't watch enough other games to see if this s**t is standard across the comp any more but two things:

In relation to what you said about that Walker incident - it seems as if we are umpired in a way that that obviously denies us any advantage from a decision. Maybe it's specific umps that it happens with.

If it's not specific to us (which probably is the case,) then it's happening across the comp and probably contributes significantly to the s**t look of the game.

We need to start winning the ball out of the centre regularly. It's frustrating that we don't get the benefit of Goldie's hit-outs dominance. First quarter last night was an extreme example of how bad it gets when opponents consistently waltz out of the centre.

I feel this will improve when the starting three are Cunners, Jy and LDU all fully fit, with McDonald rotating in where the hard tag is required, plus Froggie, Higgo, Jed, Hall and Kyron being regulars in the rotation mix.
We actually won the clearances. It's just that our clearances typically take the form of a hack into the forward line where other teams actually use the ball.

We actually won the clearances. It's just that our clearances typically take the form of a hack into the forward line where other teams actually use the ball.

I understand that we did in technical terms, but if you don't have any F50 entries in a quarter, you're not winning it out of the centre.

Why are we always outnumbered going forward?

Always outnumbered at ground level?

Always choosing the wrong option when moving the football?
Because the bomb it long down the line game plan is easy to defend against, and provides a good opportunity to score against. It’s an obsolete game plan as good coaches have worked out how to counter attack from it.

If you put guys back, it doesn’t matter if a contested mark is taken on the wing because they won’t have anyone to kick to. If the mark isn’t taken and the opposition win the ball, they have numbers behind the ball that can run and spread providing options.

Until we stop this god forsaken game plan we will continue to be out numbered.

Do people still think about him as the boogie man? Dude must be close to 50 now. Unless you’re referring to Johno?

That’s a positive?
Not saying it's a positive, just that this is not the same side that beat St Kilda. St Kilda would do an absolute number on the side we fielded last night

No identifiable game plan.. cant see a switch to open space, or linked hand balls.. WTF?

Field kicking is deplorable, how the hell some of these players were ever drafted is baffling.

Im done with AFL.. I’ll continue being a member but some of those soft as s**t free kicks and 50m penalties did my *in head in. I used to have to be king hit or coat hangered to get a free kick in country footy.. jumper was always held, arms were always chopped, was always pushed in the back, always held without it.. the game has become an over umpired piece of s**t game.

and how the * can Dimma criticise Horse when he did the exact same thing having 18 of his players behind the centre square?

Everyone saying we don't get f’ed by the umps misses that stuff. Last week an opposition player touched the ball as someone threw it to Jy to take a free about 20m out from their goal. Why no 50? Anyone?

At another point someone, maybe Bolton, held onto the ball for 10 seconds, or while I counted to ten steadily. Longer than you have to kick before the ump calls play on. While he was standing the mark and our player was screaming for the ball. Why no 50? Anyone?

The Tiges all streamed back while this was happening. and clogged our next line. It happened against to the Hawks and * repeatedly too.

Compare this to the 50 against Tarrant when Hayden gave away a free to the Hawks (Breust?) on their 50 m line. Breust had no hands free so rather than throw the ball at him Tarrant put it on the ground next to him and ran to make position, clearly within the spirit of the rule if not the letter.

Last night a free then 50 to Martin against Polec led to one of their goals. What was that even for? At one point the commentators sounded confused and even wondered why it wasn't a down the ground free. Which would have still given the new a slightly better position. So there was a questionable 50 that cost us another goal. And yes I know what it's for, it's for something that happens to our players repeatedly in games. I thought it was just a free we we're missing not a free and 50 or a free downfield. What is that sh*t even for?

Why is it always so one sided?

If that was us Walker was playing against in that incident SDS mentioned it'd have been another 50 against us and a probable goal based on what I have seen.

So again ... Why is this sh*t so one sided?

I don't watch enough other games to see if this sh*t is standard across the comp any more but two things:

In relation to what you said about that Walker incident - it seems as if we are umpired in a way that that obviously denies us any advantage from a decision. Maybe it's specific umps that it happens with.

If it's not specific to us (which probably is the case,) then it's happening across the comp and probably contributes significantly to the sh*t look of the game.

If you want to complain about umpiring, dont do it when you play against us. We get reamed every single week.

Weve given up 6 more goals from frees against than any other side

Complain about the pies, thats a team that gets looked after

Also, frees werw 18-11 in your favour lol

You can play 3 talls if you have good ball movement and skills, Carlton do it and belted the Bulldogs last week. Probably harder to get away with if you're us, our entries are scrappy, hard work and anything but clean, it's then that you want to pressure more and try and keep the ball inside your half. Also we have no quick smalls to take up the slack from our talls.

I would say you need the third tall to have some speed. Maj would be fine but the other three are pretty pedestrian.

I don't get the negativity. Seriously. I haven't been this positive. This has been building for years. I can say I arrived at this point after we dropped all those games in late 2016. We've not been good enough. We've pretty much been a high energy low talent team. Talent wins premierships. We're fraying because there's a changing of the guard before our eyes This is Jy Simpkin and his crew of young mates team now. Like it was with Carey and his mates in the early 90's after they took the reins from a limited bunch of blokes who came up short in the 80's.With stars like Goldy, Tarrant, Cunners, Higgins acting as talismen for the next year or two - we'll improve sharply sooner than people think. The key is to stop playing those low output players between the two groups. We know who they are. We'll be back. No surer thing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, never new that was a rule. I think it’s more of a direction to stop people shoving the guy on the mark and playing on.

The one that I spewed up about was the holding the ball decision on Brown. There was zero prior and the guy tackling him was front on so there was no way he could dispose of it. AND if you watch the marking contest just before Brown was shoved in the back. Umps missing blatant frees and rewarding guys who don’t go for the ball is ruining this game big time.
Stop blaming the umps... it’s ridiculous..
Because the bomb it long down the line game plan is easy to defend against, and provides a good opportunity to score against. It’s an obsolete game plan as good coaches have worked out how to counter attack from it.

If you put guys back, it doesn’t matter if a contested mark is taken on the wing because they won’t have anyone to kick to. If the mark isn’t taken and the opposition win the ball, they have numbers behind the ball that can run and spread providing options.

Until we stop this god forsaken game plan we will continue to be out numbered.
No idea, this is basic football, until we can release ball down the wing and defend it, there no point going into the centre as well be opened up and scored on heavily.

it’s our midfielders work rate and our forwards lack of air pressure, leads the ball to be coming back..
Direct your anger at the players.. they. can’t even get the basics right and they’ve been on the list for a decade.

Last edited:
The easiest way to understand our predicament is the votes in the HUN.

All three are athletic, and to be anti-PC, short twitch fibred players who can move laterally and run with speed. We don't really have the top speed outside of Atley. Bolton was having the time of his life on Dumont in the middle because he knew he didn't have to do too much to lose him.

I know I have gone on about this since 2005 but damn do we need some speed in the middle.

When LDU, Cunners, Jed and Goldy are in the middle Jy having stints up forward would be ideal

He isn't quick though. The KP defenders are athletic these days, out KP players are largely not. Tarrant certainly would fit the bill but I reckon he is starting to tail off with his speed a little due to age and I have no idea whether Maj has held onto his.

The easiest way to understand our predicament is the votes in the HUN.

All three are athletic, and to be anti-PC, short twitch fibred players who can move laterally and run with speed. We don't really have the top speed outside of Atley. Bolton was having the time of his life on Dumont in the middle because he knew he didn't have to do too much to lose him.

I know I have gone on about this since 2005 but damn do we need some speed in the middle.

Bolton doesn’t have a defensive bone in his body.

And playing on Trent, he didn’t have to.

Your comprehension skills are appalling. No wonder so many people don’t understand the rules, it’s because people like you can’t read.

The 50 and the free are one in the same.

Here is the bit you seemed to have missed.

the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick and a Fifty Metre Penalty to that Player.

These aren’t paid very often because it’s not very often it was as blatantly obvious as this one. To me it shows the mind set of our guys. Looking for the easy option instead of chasing.

It is the rule. It's just that they literally haven't played one for over half a decade. That's just bullshit - and there have been plenty just as obvious in that time.

Positives
1.we finally have a bad enough coach to get us some early draft picks.

2.this is the best year to bottom out, it won’t hurt the bottom line as much.

Negatives
1.do we actually know who the good kids are with no normal underage footy this year? (Would only happen when north have a early picks)

2.will we survive being poor on field for a few years? The perfect storm is brewing people. The expansion clubs seem set for a decade of on field stability and that will allow the AFL to have us in their sights. Believe me they want us out of Victoria and they will use the post COVID-19 economy as leverage.

P.S. do you think Simmo would want to come back to vic and coach us? God I hope so.

If you want to complain about umpiring, dont do it when you play against us. We get reamed every single week.

Weve given up 6 more goals from frees against than any other side

Complain about the pies, thats a team that gets looked after

Also, frees werw 18-11 in your favour lol
I'd happily get reamed by umps if we still had two flags to show for it....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back