Toast Round 11: Adelaide 38-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

It goes without saying the first half performance was well below par, but I felt the second half saw almost all of our guys roll up their sleeves and do something positive and impact in their respective roles. Yes, there were exceptions but it’s not easy in footy when you’re playing so poorly to show the grit and turn things around.

We are miles off and I’m not going to even entertain the bullsh$& “paper over the cracks” posts at this point in time. They are clearly accurate but right now I’m inclined to enjoy the win for a little bit and know we displayed some character tonight.

It’s so easy to criticise our deficiencies, both as a team and with certain individuals, so let’s focus on the win for a moment.

Will that performance see us beat Melbourne? I would say no. But hopefully it gives us the confidence to show our best football can be damaging, especially competing in tight
Well said my friend. I couldn't have put it better.

The less said about the first half the better.

I'm still convinced Cameron is a better option up forward, despite some supporters pleading for Cox to return to the team. He kicked an absolute howler early on, but at least he presents up and can take a mark. He took 9 marks this evening, which Cox hasn't achieved since the 2018 preliminary final.

Adams was excellent. Played like a proper leader and contested everything like a bull. Same goes for Maynard.

The ball movement was much better after half time. Move it quickly and we're more likely to score, so it's not rocket science. The coaching staff need to stop being rigid and inflexible and allow the players to express themselves more on the field.

Nice to see Dunn and Broomhead get through the match unscathed. Great moment when Dunn kicked the goal, which seemed to give the whole playing group a much needed morale booster. Ruscoe's passion is also infectious as well.

It was an ugly win, but one we simply had to win considering the nature of the opponent. We're still struggling, but it's always a better feeling winning even in the most difficult circumstances.

Haven't seen the game but we picked a bloody good week to kick straight it would appear.

It was a big gamble resting 2 or 3 for this match on the back of the forced changes and given taking the 4pts tonight projected as an easier task than against Melbourne in 4 days time we could have been forgiven in sacrificing our chances in that game, resting players and bettering our chances for tonight.

As it is the gamble has paid off, we've gained an important 4pts and given ourselves a better chance of defeating Melbourne who'll enter the game with the benefit of an extra 2 days rest.

Another good thing to come out of the game was NO INJURIES (apart from Roughy's head knock, but hopefully he'll be OK).

This was a game we were expected to win, and we did in the end like a good team does. It was sickening listening to Gerard and Floggo at half time absolutely revelling in our impending demise. You could literally see Floggo's eyes glisten at the thought of the article he was drafting for tomorrow's Hun.

And the clangers and score involvements for Adams? Sidebottom? Sier?
You said he had no clangers. I simply refuted that lie. Stop trying to shift the goalposts. I never claimed other players didn’t have any clangers.
If you must know though, Adams had 3 score involvements and 7 clangers. He also had 10 clearances. 10.
Sidey had 1 score involvement and 4 clangers. 3 clearances, and he’s not even a clearance player.
Sier had 4 clangers, 5 clearances and 4 score involvements.

As I said, clearances should be Wills’ bread and butter, but he gets barely any. That’s where he falls down, and it’s why he’s capable depth only if we’re serious about improving.

Last edited:
This was a game we were expected to win, and we did in the end like a good team does. It was sickening listening to Gerard and Floggo at half time absolutely revelling in our impending demise. You could literally see Floggo's eyes glisten at the thought of the article he was drafting for tomorrow's Hun.
Exactly. Both of them were revelling in our misery and ready to pounce.

Thankfully, we've shut them up.

Phillips and Thomas are the 2 senior players that I want to single out as urgently needing to find a way to improve their output.

Adams worked his butt off but let himself down at times with messy disposal. Still one of our best.

Darcy Cameron did what Cox is expected to do. He can take a contested mark in the forward line which is vital for us.

Nice to see Daicos, Stevenson, and Ruscoe make important contributions.

Crisp is such a good player.

That first half was mildly depressing.

You said he had no clangers. I simply refuted that lie. Stop trying to shift the goalposts. I never claimed other players didn’t have any clangers.
If you must know though, Adams had 3 score involvements and 7 clangers. He also had 10 clearances. 10.
Sidey had 1 score involvement and 4 clangers. 3 clearances, and he’s not even a clearance player.
Sier had 4 clangers, 5 clearances and 4 score involvements.

As I said, clearances should be Wills’ bread and butter, but he gets barely any. That’s where he falls down, and it’s why he’s capable depth only if we’re serious about improving.
I said other things too but you narrowed the goal posts to focus on clangers, none of which I noticed and as such obviously didn't have any negative effect.
How do you know Adams 10 clearances didn't result in 7 clangers? How do you know Wills is there for clearances? I'd argue he's there purely as a defensive midfielder, to tackle and harass the opposition mids, a job he performs well. He also managed 15 handballs, a lot of which were beneficial to our ball movement. But nobody wants to see that. He's just the whipping boy like so many in the past including Sidebottom, Adams, Johnson, Gayfer ....

I said other things too but you narrowed the goal posts to focus on clangers, none of which I noticed and as such obviously didn't have any negative effect.
How do you know Adams 10 clearances didn't result in 7 clangers? How do you know Wills is there for clearances? I'd argue he's there purely as a defensive midfielder, to tackle and harass the opposition mids, a job he performs well. He also managed 15 handballs, a lot of which were beneficial to our ball movement. But nobody wants to see that. He's just the whipping boy like so many in the past including Sidebottom, Adams, Johnson, Gayfer ....
If we’re selecting midfielders based primarily on their ability to tackle and harass rather than actually get the pill at stoppages then serious questions need to be asked.

Another good thing to come out of the game was NO INJURIES (apart from Roughy's head knock, but hopefully he'll be OK).

Just as nauseating listening to On the Couch. They were pumping up Melbourne like they were sitting on top of the ladder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is his usual. 16 - 20 rushed disposals. Efficiency is a rubbish statistic. You get an effective disposal for a 30 metre kick in any direction. I have supported Wills for a long time, he's had a good crack at it but he doesn't influence the game.

He probably won't be dropped if that's any comfort.
I take comfort in the fact that those at the club who analyse match video do so objectively knowing exactly what each player's role and expectations are. That's why Wills keeps getting games. He obviously plays the role he's assigned and fulfills expectations of him. The end.

Just as nauseating listening to On the Couch. They were pumping up Melbourne like they were sitting on top of the ladder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, one good thing about the Football Frenzy is you often miss AFL360 and On the Couch.
BTW, are you a Dubai local or an expat who is posted there? Such an interesting place to visit when I was there in 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we’re selecting midfielders based primarily on their ability to tackle and harass rather than actually get the pill at stoppages then serious questions need to be asked.
We're not. We're selecting ONE midfielder to fill that role. I'll get back to you in the coming days.

I take comfort in the fact that those at the club who analyse match video do so objectively knowing exactly what each player's role and expectations are. That's why Wills keeps getting games. He obviously plays the role he's assigned and fulfills expectations of him. The end.

So we should never question selection decisions because the club knows what it's doing and is always right? That's like 60% of why people post on football forums.

Your unwavering support for Wills and the selection committee is admirable and I certainly won't fault you for that.

Phillips and Thomas are the 2 senior players that I want to single out as urgently needing to find a way to improve their output.

Adams worked his butt off but let himself down at times with messy disposal. Still one of our best.

Darcy Cameron did what Cox is expected to do. He can take a contested mark in the forward line which is vital for us.

Yes I agree re the first 2 named, although I'm not sure JT is a best 22, but absolutely needs a lift. The others I would add are C Brown and Mayne from the point of view they seem to be picked most weeks. If we are competing with the better sides, those 4 names would be huge weak links and easily exploited. I'd be delighted to see them in out 22 if i was our opponents.

We're not. We're selecting ONE midfielder to fill that role. I'll get back to you in the coming days.
It shouldn’t be a role. Every mid should be chasing tackling and harassing anyway in addition to winning the ball at stoppages.

Except he was dropped and the only reason he’s in the side is because we have so many injuries.

Haven't seen the game but we picked a bloody good week to kick straight it would appear.

It was a big gamble resting 2 or 3 for this match on the back of the forced changes and given taking the 4pts tonight projected as an easier task than against Melbourne in 4 days time we could have been forgiven in sacrificing our chances in that game, resting players and bettering our chances for tonight.

As it is the gamble has paid off, we've gained an important 4pts and given ourselves a better chance of defeating Melbourne who'll enter the game with the benefit of an extra 2 days rest.
We actually kicked poorly. Many shots you’d expect to convert didn’t even register a behind. The encouraging aspect was our second half.

I don’t rate wills. I don’t see him to be damaging at all.
It’s what he does defensively for us. It’s not the spectacular flick out handballs to an outside mid, it’s the pressure, tackles and smothers he puts on the opposition midfielder with the ball. he does It better than most of our midfielders. Including Sier.
People need to give praise to the lad for once.

It’s what he does defensively for us. It’s not the spectacular flick out handballs to an outside mid, it’s the pressure, tackles and smothers he puts on the opposition midfielder with the ball. he does It better than most of our midfielders. Including Sier.
People need to give praise to the lad for once.

He has gotten his fair share of praise for that work. That's where his value is. But when he gets the ball, he can be a huge liability. He isn't playing a purely negating or defensive role, he's getting upwards of 16 touches a game and his usage can be a momentum killer.

It looked like a relief for him. Like a weight was released off his shoulders considering he’s struggled all year to kick a goal. Don’t look at it glass half empty.

I really hope this is the case. 2018 Josh Thomas was such a brilliant contributor. I hope he gets back to that level.

Pleased with our second half. Good response after a very disappointing first half.
Kicking 8 goals in the second half is a great improvement (albeit against the Crows). Just need to get back to our first quarter blitz.
Darcy Cameron is improving every game. He’s killing Cox’s career.
15 disposals, 9 marks (5 contested), 2 goals (should’ve been 3).
Played his role perfectly tonight. A tall target, contested everything, strong marks and nice chop out in the ruck for Grundy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back