List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So can I assume sydney will probably be trading its first pick this year?
It depends what that first pick ends up being and whether we think we are going to be able to use it before we need to use it match a bid on Campbell. I don't think you can make have a lot of certainty about that right now.

It depends what that first pick ends up being and whether we think we are going to be able to use it before we need to use it match a bid on Campbell. I don't think you can make have a lot of certainty about that right now.

Assuming north get pick 2, I would be extremely confident we would be bidding on Campbell. And JUH for that matter.

Assuming north get pick 2, I would be extremely confident we would be bidding on Campbell. And JUH for that matter.
Why would you be confident of that? He is certainly highly rated, but probably not so high as that.

If you do end up with that pick and we do think your bid is going to come then our actions over the past few years when it has come to matching bids and trading picks would have to lead you to believe we would have worked out a way to maximise our position.

So can I assume sydney will probably be trading its first pick this year?

See a lot of ideas in regards to our first and trades on a few boards.

Believe we would be a certain type of special to trade away our 2021 first to upgrade two spots. I get the idea of snagging an extra top 5 pick but without exposed form of draftees this year is a different proposition.

Would prefer to keep it to bring in a 23-25yo next year

So this is where the draft gets confusing. Assuming we DON'T trade our first pick, I imagine this will be our choice depending on where we finish:

17th - Phillips or Hollands
16th - Phillips or Hollands (whoever available)
15th - Phillips, Hollands, or McDonald (whoever available)
14th - Macrae or DGB (whichever is best)
13th - too risky trade up in the draft
12th - ditto

Don't think we'll get higher than 12th, and this assuming that we 100% want to go to the draft.

Do you guys agree, any players I missed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If paps asks for a trade, either way we will be getting ripped off. Let’s assume we get a pick in the top 10 for him, I don’t see a way how we can use that pick without it being absorbed into a matching bid for Campbell.

We would lose papley for nothing realistically, because even if he didn’t request a trade we would still get Campbell by using lower picks to match. So we would have Campbell and paps on the list.

Is there anyway we can use the papley compo(assuming he’s leaves, and assuming we get a top 10 pick) ? Only way I see is if we draft Campbell with our first anyway

If paps asks for a trade, either way we will be getting ripped off. Let’s assume we get a pick in the top 10 for him, I don’t see a way how we can use that pick without it being absorbed into a matching bid for Campbell.

We would lose papley for nothing realistically, because even if he didn’t request a trade we would still get Campbell by using lower picks to match. So we would have Campbell and paps on the list.

Is there anyway we can use the papley compo(assuming he’s leaves, and assuming we get a top 10 pick) ? Only way I see is if we draft Campbell with our first anyway
How about a future pick/picks?

From memory you have to use your very next pick that’s as close to the bid , but hopefully I am wrong

It’s really not in our best interests to be winning games right now
You do. I meant (as an example) Carlton's first pick in 2021 (if we don't have academy players on the horizon and don't go into point deficit) and maybe one of their players.

The thing about the approach of not winning games is you create a loser mentality. One top ten 18-year-old is unlikely to have a bigger impact than the cultural damage of playing to lose. I also think there are advantages -- you might get that high profile trade target over the line if they think you are a young team on the rise rather than stuck in the bottom four.

Doubt he is going anywhere anyway

Campbell at pick 2 seems a little bit overs. Still this would be North bidding so it would explain a lot.

Aye see Polec - their last massive fish (dropped again by Shaw)

If Paps goes.. we would ask for something like...
- Carltons p9 + future first. P9 we trade to get a player and with any change, we possibly used to match bids on academy players (eg p9 = ruck + p45). We've also got a future first to trade with this year or next.
- p9 + player + p30. Same scenario, we could use those picks to trade or match a bid on academy players.

One thing that all clubs try and do is maximise the value of picks. You can be certain that no first round pick (ours or any traded for Paps) will be used to match bids. They will be used for player trades, or if they fall before campbell they can be used to draft, or traded for later picks to get more points to match bids

We won't trade Paps unless we get what we want, which will be a lot! Which ever team he goes to will be forced to pay overs.

Paps stays... hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back