List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Campbell at pick 2 seems a little bit overs. Still this would be North bidding so it would explain a lot.

I am not sure Campbell will go at pick 2.

He will probably have a relatively low profile year. He will play in the local Sydney competition and a few games against GWS Academy. SA/WA prospects are playing SANFL and WAFL which is highly regarded. Also once Victorian lockdown ends I assume they will try to organise Vic Metro vs Vic Country games which will boost the profile of the best Victorian prospects.

And even last year I don't remember Campbell being that dominant for the Allies during the U18 Championship to justify being a really early pick. For most of the year he seemed to be rated behind Gulden. Even in the match against GWS academy last weekend, he did some nice things but did not dominate to the extent a Victorian club would use pick 2 on him.

I can see us not matching for Campbell if we rate him pick 10 - 15 and nth melb try to get cute and bid on him with pick 2.
Nah, you take academy like him all the time. Arguably worth more than a top draft pick 5-10 picks higher. You know he's around for the long haul, and he's ball movement is exactly what we want in our team.

Also academy players rarely go that highly, see Green and Blakey, even Heeney and Mills went later than expected in the end.

I think North have Melbourne's first round pick so if we are between their picks, it would make sense to force us to use our pick on Campbell rather than us being able to select one of the other available players. Though they would still need to have a genuine interest in him.

Last edited:
Nah, you take academy like him all the time. Arguably worth more than a top draft pick 5-10 picks higher. You know he's around for the long haul, and he's ball movement is exactly what we want in our team.

Also academy players rarely go that highly, see Green and Blakey, even Heeney and Mills went later than expected in the end.
Mills went #2 and Heeney #3? Im confused.....

I agree with your sentiment - that if player are similar and one is local - always take the local. But if we rate him significantly different and there is a much better player available, I can see us letting him slip.

I think North have Melbourne's first round pick so if we are between their picks, it would make sense to force us to use our pick on Campbell rather than us being able to select one of the other available players. Though they would still need to have a genuine interest in him.
Interesting scenario -certainly makes logical sense. Keen to look into this more if there is a "run on academy" players due to the amount available this year.

Mills went #2 and Heeney #3? Im confused.....

I agree with your sentiment - that if player are similar and one is local - always take the local. But if we rate him significantly different and there is a much better player available, I can see us letting him slip.
It's more that academy blokes don't go earlier than expected. Both Heeney and Mills would of been in the conversation for 1-5 if not for the academy, while Campbell is more 6-15.

I hope I'm not wrong, but I don't think Adelaide or North go for Campbell. If they were I'm sure the swans would have an inkling and trade up or out of the draft.
Can't imagine us being blindsided by an early pick for Campbell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more that academy blokes don't go earlier than expected. Both Heeney and Mills would of been in the conversation for 1-5 if not for the academy, while Campbell is more 6-15.

I hope I'm not wrong, but I don't think Adelaide or North go for Campbell. If they were I'm sure the swans would have an inkling and trade up or out of the draft.
Our first pick will be 18 😁

I agree - but as raised above - there is some game theory to play out if Norths picks are either side of ours, if we match then they get an additional player they want.

I agree - but as raised above - there is some game theory to play out if Norths picks are either side of ours, if we match then they get an additional player they want.
Then whoever he's close to at the Academy has a nice quiet chat to him and says something like " Go to North, learn their system and then in two years time you are homesick and need to come back to Sydney"!
Let us benefit from the go home factor for a change!

Not a good look to the rest of the academy boys if we don't match a bid on Campbell which happened to be slightly better than we thought. I thought the point was so we could get some local loyal talent. I'd be spewing if we overlooked Campbell at pick 3 because we thought he was actually pick 5-7.....

Not a good look to the rest of the academy boys if we don't match a bid on Campbell which happened to be slightly better than we thought. I thought the point was so we could get some local loyal talent. I'd be spewing if we overlooked Campbell at pick 3 because we thought he was actually pick 5-7.....

I think the Swans will definitely match a bid for Campbell wherever it comes. But I think publicly they will do what GWS did last year and try to create some doubt.

Campbell looks a good player. But I don't think he is going be as high as top 3 on most rival teams draft boards. He said being Man of the Match in the U17 all stars match was the best he had ever played. Such a high profile game brings him a lot of hype with the public. But the other club recruiters are looking at hours of footage of players over multiple years. So they would have a broader perspective and not put as much weight on the all star match.

Since all teams have had an academy of some sort there hasn’t been any out of line bidding that I can recall, in fact if anything players have slid down the draft (Green, Blakey).

This year could be slightly different in that there are more academy players across the draft pool however clubs will still approach with caution as they could create problems for their own academy players in future or they could get stuck with a player they’ve bid on who wasn’t as good as others that were available.

Broader point being, if Campbell is worth pick 2 he may receive a bid but all reports are he isn’t and therefore if anything I feel he is more likely to slide a touch than go earlier than anticipated.

The Academy system is fundamentally flawed. Clubs like Norf run faux efforts and do not spend as we have done. The Northern Academies are vital for the future of the game in NSW and Qbillyland. If Norf bid on Campbell at #2 and we did not/couldn't match I believe we shd be compensated with an additional Rd1 pick.

And Norf would lose their first rounder for next year.

Does George become our next Zac Jones?

Adelaide will grab him instantly.

George's wife is also from Adelaide and maybe due to Henry appearing so early they may think going home to family is the best thing for them.

If they are, good luck George, Alice & Henry.

We will get pick 49 or goes PSD. Aaahhhhhh

George has played 99 games, aaaaahhh again, can it get any worse.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back