Moved Thread Bailey Smith vs Sam Walsh

Who's better

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to Sam on getting the most coaches out of young players over the last 2 years, he is certainly a very good young player.

Not arguing against it, but are we using coaches votes now as the strongest evidence of who the best players in the league are?

Look, let's just all celebrate what a fine young player he is and his achievement. :thumbsu:

CFC-546-COMM20-Sam-Walsh-AFLCA-1920x1080.jpg

Well done to Sam on getting the most coaches out of young players over the last 2 years, he is certainly a very good young player.

Not arguing against it, but are we using coaches votes now as the strongest evidence of who the best players in the league are?

You would assume the coaches would know a little about the current playing lists, opposition and current day matchup, etc., wouldn't you?
On that proviso, I would think this award, the coaches award and most others by the coaches, would be held higher than the umpires award and media awards, etc.
I guess the fact he won it in a canter also tells me, he is out on his own right now, but then again biased supporters know best, right?

Well done WALSHY.

You would assume the coaches would know a little about the current playing lists, opposition and current day matchup, etc., wouldn't you?
On that proviso, I would think this award, the coaches award and most others by the coaches, would be held higher than the umpires award and media awards, etc.
I guess the fact he won it in a canter also tells me, he is out on his own right now, but then again biased supporters know best, right?

Well done WALSHY.
Everyone who has watched them both this year can clearly see their is little seperating the two. They have both had very good years.

Let's not pretend Walsh is lightyears ahead of everyone when his year has probably been on par with Smith's.

Everyone who has watched them both this year can clearly see their is little seperating the two. They have both had very good years.

Let's not pretend Walsh is lightyears ahead of everyone when his year has probably been on par with Smith's.

Sorry didn't mean to hurt your feelings over Smith. Very good player and has done well to keep up with Walsh, even the coaches thought so in their voting.

Well done WALSHY.

Just wanted to check and don’t actually disagree that coaches votes should be rated highly. I just don’t recall Carlton fans rating coaches votes highly in the Bont v Cripps debates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems he got more votes than Smith in 2020 as well, but again, what would they know.

Interesting to note that according to the article Walsh received more votes this year than Smith did in 2 years

:tearsofjoy:

64 votes: Sam Walsh (Carlton)
33 votes: Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)
27 votes: Bailey Smith (Western Bulldogs)

I think we would know a bit about GF victories, well a bit more then North fans anyway.

Yeah, sure been leading the way over the last quarter of a century :tearsofjoy:

Does any footage exist of those glorious GF victories in the 1900s?

Why not? Bont is a jet and they are absolutely comparable. Wouldn’t have any issues with that.

The same can not be said for Walsh and Smith.
I personally thought Cripps had a better year last year than Bont, marginally.

Guess a lot of it is opinion. Both Smith and Walsh have fluctuated with form this year but it's quite clear there isn't much separating.

Walsh has had a very good start to his career, but does everyone really understand how this award has been calculated.

The coaches have not awarded votes for young players at all, they have simply given votes over the last 2 years based on each individual game for their individual view of the best 5 in order in every game.

On that metric Walsh has received more votes, but then within his team he has had a total of 2 players make the AA squad from the combined seasons.

The other player featured in this thread has had 6 selections of team mates in the same AA squad. Seems much greater competition within that side for the elusive votes.

This award is no more definitive on who is the better player.

I guess this will go on for several years, but I do know Bailey Smith has better stats in finals

Back