Analysis Who's the next coach, then?

Remove this Banner Ad

After lurking for a bit I finally started an account. This is my first post so a little nervous!

Love the idea of both Luke Hodge or Stevie J for very different reasons.

Since the Dogs fired J Corey this year, hire him as an assistant too. I don't think he and Scotty clicked all that much so I can't see him coming home until Scott is gone.

If I had to replace Chris Scott I’d get Ross Lyon every day of the week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No thanks.
He would do what Scott is doing and continually top up the list.

We need a coach who is prepared to develop his own players. That will take time, upwards of five long years before we see success.
A coach who is not so defensive minded.

Lenny Hayes would be a great get but he's currently stepped away for the meantime but he will be in the conversation again.

No thanks.
He would do what Scott is doing and continually top up the list.

We need a coach who is prepared to develop his own players. That will take time, upwards of five long years before we see success.
A coach who is not so defensive minded.

Lenny Hayes would be a great get but he's currently stepped away for the meantime but he will be in the conversation again.

I'm not entirely sure it's Scott who wants to do the "top up and stay competitive, but not really succeed" thing, I reckon that's coming from higher up.
We seem to be a club who just wants to keep the cash rolling in even to the detriment of on field success, I mean that's a factual statement as Carter AND Cook have both said as such.

After lurking for a bit I finally started an account. This is my first post so a little nervous!

Since the Dogs fired J Corey this year, hire him as an assistant too. I don't think he and Scotty clicked all that much so I can't see him coming home until Scott is gone.
Are you making that up or do you have inside information?

Also, welcome to BF! Have we met before?

Are you making that up or do you have inside information?
Seems to be something in that. Scott moved him on and I don't think that he has been back to the club. Bartel may feel the same way, not so much that Scott did it but as much the way that he did it. Would love Stevie J but think yes he is settled in Sydney, then again did we approach him. No, no, no, no to Ross Lyon he is just an older version of Scott. In fact where di Scott learn his coaching?????
At the moment Ken Hinkley might be the go!

YES...Finally we are heading in the right direction.

What a great question. I have NO idea! I've been harping on about Scott for five years...so, I'm exhausted from just seeking his exit.

Haven't thought much about who would walk in....CLARKSON! LOL...how good would that be?!

I'd be moving on the 4 long term guys - Rahilly, Lappin, Knights & O'Bree; nothing wrong with individuals who want to be career assistant coaches & not have the pressure of being a senior coach, but do they have a shelf life in terms of value within one environment?

Keeping Grigg - not sure if he stays on as the development coach or moves into a new role, as it seems we change development coaches every year or 2. Considering development coaches tend to work with 1st - 3rd year players, I'd like to see stability in that role rather than these seemingly regular change

Can't think of a team that wouldn't want Hodge - love to have him at the club if he wants to move to Geelong

A maybe less popular option but someone I've enjoyed listening to this year and can tell they have an understanding of the strategic side things is Jordan Lewis

Wish we went after Roughead last year, or wonder if someone like Riewoldt would want to move into coaching.

I'm thinking that a guy like Ratugolea (while he may 22 & 40 games under his belt, so not a completely raw kid), could really benefit from working with an experienced tall forward, and surely it's beneficial to have a former forward actually coaching forwards

There'd be others also, but would need more time to think and look at names - great players don't necessarily make good coaches, but rather want to look at those who have an understanding of the game

Problem is a few of those names are settling down into cushy media jobs. Would probably be hard to get them into coaching unless they see themselves as head coaches some day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be something in that. Scott moved him on and I don't think that he has been back to the club. Bartel may feel the same way, not so much that Scott did it but as much the way that he did it. Would love Stevie J but think yes he is settled in Sydney, then again did we approach him. No, no, no, no to Ross Lyon he is just an older version of Scott. In fact where di Scott learn his coaching?????
At the moment Ken Hinkley might be the go!
Pretty sure Scott left before Lyon started at Freo.

Leave Scott in the chair for as long as the players back him. Probably sees his contract out.

Sam Mitchell as a midfield coach I think is worth a look. By the time 2022 told around he might then be a solid senior coach selection.

Would like to see Selwood do a year or two assisting at a well coached club before returning. This is a few years away obviously

Leave Scott in the chair for as long as the players back him. Probably sees his contract out.

Sam Mitchell as a midfield coach I think is worth a look. By the time 2022 told around he might then be a solid senior coach selection.

Would like to see Selwood do a year or two assisting at a well coached club before returning. This is a few years away obviously

Isn't he touted as being Clarkson's replacement & next Hawks senior coach?

It's the only reason I haven't really including him in potential coaching options

Seems to be something in that. Scott moved him on and I don't think that he has been back to the club.
Corey didn't resurrect his playing career anywhere else which tells me he knew he was done. He took a job at WB soon afterwards

Problem is a few of those names are settling down into cushy media jobs. Would probably be hard to get them into coaching unless they see themselves as head coaches some day.

I know and it's frustrating - listening to various former players in their media roles, you get a different perspective on them compared to just being an opposition platter and see who really understands the tactical side of things.

Would still hope the clubs put feelers out to gauge any interest in coaching

I know Brad Johnson has done part time work with our forward over past pre-seasons, wonder if they can turn that into a permanent role

Welcome to the board.
Just a hint of warning before you proceed.
You will not get any feedback (more likely to cop criticism) if you post anything about Hawthorn. This particular board hate it when you mention them.

I do agree myself, Hodge would be a brilliant candidate.
He played multiple positions and has been coached his entire career by the best coach of all time. His knowledge would be profound but again, anything related to Hawthorn is quickly shot down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back