Analysis Who's the next coach, then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott played 10 30 year olds when we beat Port. This won't work in a final, but his prejudice against younger players is now beyond doubt given Narkle's omission after 2 stellar games. Meanwhile he refuses to drop - even if just for a game or two - 'established players'; he is the only coach I can think of like this. Thus Mitch wallis can't get a game at the Dogs and there are dozens of other instances.

At this point I fully expect the usual dose: we'll play finals, win one - possibly 2 - but fall short of a flag.

You mean like how against Sydney he benched the established Stanley for the bulk of the last quarter

Then a week later Scott & the MC omit Stanley off the back of that 1 poor performance, instead throwing their support behind a younger player in Ratugolea and even when he has struggled in matches they've continued to back him in

There's no prejudice against younger players - there's spots available

You mean like how against Sydney he benched the established Stanley for the bulk of the last quarter

Then a week later Scott & the MC omit Stanley off the back of that 1 poor performance, instead throwing their support behind a younger player in Ratugolea and even when he has struggled in matches they've continued to back him in

There's no prejudice against younger players - there's spots available
That’s not an age thing though, rather a disgustingly uncompetitive pea heart thing.

That's interesting. But who becomes a coach now? Sports scientists? Fitness instructors? I still think playing the game at a high level imparts at least some of the knowledge need to lead a squad of the same. Science definitely has its role in team development but in more of a support role as I see it, not as team leader.
Head Coaches are now more akin to managers with a team below them to do the coaching. That can comprise skill coaches, fitness coaches , squad coaches, psychologists, match strategists, match day coaches as well as the team responsible for gathering and interpreting data. The head coach has to bring all that together and establish when one of his direct team isn't operating up to the required standard and he has to guide and direct that team. Having a feel for the game through experience is useful, but being able to run a crack coaching squad is the primary qualification

Steve Johnson or ken Hinkley to bring back the Geelong way.

it will however probably be Ross Lyon.
Who was the last successful ex-Geelong player to coach the team and enjoy any success? Billy Goggin, and he coached WB before coming home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back