List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Although I think there is always some chance Campbell gets bid on.)

I feel North would pick a player who genuinely wants to be there and be mentally strong enough to deal with heightened expectations on them. There seems to be a bit of off field instability there at the moment combined with ambitious expectations. So the last thing they need is the immediate speculation that their top draft pick is looking to leave in 2 years.

North are at rock bottom and their list is in disarray and you think their recruiting department is sitting there thinking we must bid on Campbell to make Sydney pay.

It’s so laughable it’s not funny, please get a grip.

There is virtually no evidence to suggest that Campbell is a top 3 pick (excluding what happens to JUH).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What makes you say this? Trade period hasnt started, our pick 3 is still pick 3 and from every single thing ive read on the draft Campbell is looking as though he wont be bid on until after pick 6.

A bid on ugle Hagan before us means nothing in terms of where Campbell gets selected, and let's just assume Crows get pick 2 for Crouch it will still mean we pick at 4. There is zero chance, in my opinion, that 2 rebuilding clubs like crows and North are gonna bid on a Sydney kid, given hes not even rated in the top 5.

fwiw I doubt Adelaide or North will even bid on ugle Hagan, given its just a certainty the dogs will match anyway, why give your draftees the idea you rated another player higher than them.
Lets just call it a hunch, shall we?

Hollands is interesting as I think he has benefitted from the fact there's been SFA movement in the top 5 or 6 players this year because of the lack of footy.

For the majority of last year it was said there was a clear top half a dozen (Rowell, Anderson, Green, Serong, Kemp and Young) and by about October, so much footy had been played that Jackson, Ash, Flanders and Stephens had joined the pack, and by draft night, three of those four had been taken before all but Rowell and Anderson.

This year, Hollands might've slid because of his ACL, but he's now the same as every other Victorian kid - playing no footy in 2020.

It's a much more stagnant pack, so bottom-ager form means more this year than it ever has, or probably ever will again.
This year will produce more players who bomb and more late picks who smash it than any other year because of this.

North are clearly not making rational decisions. They could do absolutely anything and you could consider them to be extremely loose at present. Nothing would surprise me with them. Personally, I would sack the lot of them and being in the administrators if I was the AFL. Poor old Blakey SNR, just walked into a s**t storm.

North are clearly not making rational decisions. They could do absolutely anything and you could consider them to be extremely loose at present. Nothing would surprise me with them. Personally, I would sack the lot of them and being in the administrators if I was the AFL. Poor old Blakey SNR, just walked into a sh*t storm.

The Hobart Kangaroos has a nice ring to it.... although Hobart deserves better than that. EDIT, so do Kangaroos for that matter, poor animals can't catch a break - bushfires followed by association with a rabble

Last edited:
Our own fans rate Phillips & Hollands higher than Campbell. McDonald, JUH & Tilthorpe are rated higher. Meanwhile the Twomey & Knightmare articles have Grangier-Barris & Bruhn higher than Campbell. That places Campbell at 8th. I think we'll be fine

Wont be bid before 8 imo. Tom Green wasn’t and he was a much better talent in his draft year.

This year will produce more players who bomb and more late picks who smash it than any other year because of this.

The top 10 or so hasn’t changed though. It’s still a high quality top 10-15. Won’t be too many busts in there especially the top 6-7.

In regards to the Campbell pick, we're taking him no matter what imo, even if he goes pick 1.

We'll trade down for points and extra picks and we'll back our recruiters to find some gems in the latter picks. Of course we would prefer to get a top 3 pick, but this year will have the most hidden gems probably ever due to the year we had.

In regards to the Campbell pick, we're taking him no matter what imo, even if he goes pick 1.

We'll trade down for points and extra picks and we'll back our recruiters to find some gems in the latter picks. Of course we would prefer to get a top 3 pick, but this year will have the most hidden gems probably ever due to the year we had.

He ain’t getting bid before JUH at least!

I can see us trading our future first for a first this year directly after matching the Campbell bid.

Get another top 15 player before going into deficit on Gulden.

Cant see it not when next year is a better draft at least on exposed form and that pick is probably in the top 5-6. Future second I can see being traded this year perhaps for one of the Cats picks

Aliir for Hayes and 46.

Or keep Aliir and find a bloody ruck asap.
If we wanted Hayes we could get into him given he is 3 back at Port and bring him in for a late second at most IMO.
You don't give up a player as good as AA for basically two third round picks. How many of them turn into productive regular first team footballers? 35%? 50%?
Give us a late first rounder or go home Port. And then only if we have signed Melican.
I think picks outside the top 12 or so are greatly over valued in comparison to productive AFL players. The time value and the low risk value of bringing in someone already proven and who has done the 2/3 years of development....
First rounder thanks.

But happy to keep him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need to fret about Campbell or pick 3

Even if crows get pick 2 compo (seemingly embarrassingly likely now) there is enough talent at the top to make it crazy for Crows or Norf to play funny buggers just to spite Swans, and risk missing and stuffing up more.

Me: I would be ringing Matty Nicks and Roosey/ Blakey and advising that given Campbell would likely go straight in to their best 22's , then Swans are happy for him to have 2 years senior work experience outside at some rabble clubs first , making him very keen and aware of the difference, before coming back home in 2 years on a pre arranged benchmark contract.
Suggesting if they are silly enough, then asking to look after him and suggesting where Swans would prefer him to play.
;)

Last edited:
Cant see it not when next year is a better draft at least on exposed form and that pick is probably in the top 5-6. Future second I can see being traded this year perhaps for one of the Cats picks
my point is that if Gulden goes earlier than anticipated our future first goes into deficit so that pick obviously is not as valuable.

also have some faith our 2021 first will be outside the top 10 anyway

Menagola is supposedly gettable, and I would 100% jump on him.

Wants a 4 year deal on increased money for his AA year, and I think he would be really good to learn from for McInerney, Stephens, Blakey, and Dawson.

I know he's had a great year from reading, but I don't notice him much either. What does he do in the mids that we need?
Cats would be bonkers to get rid of him for a 33 year old Higgins.

No, no, same guise. You've inspired me to reset my password and sprout... spout (?) more sh*t. I'll be here for the next 6 weeks or so and am reliably at your service
It's my damp squid moment.

my point is that if Gulden goes earlier than anticipated our future first goes into deficit so that pick obviously is not as valuable.

also have some faith our 2021 first will be outside the top 10 anyway
People saying a second round selection only effects next year's second rounder - not the first.
Surely you don't think Gulden is going in the first?

It will just get used up on Gulden and Campell dont you think. Would end up being a horrific idea if that transpired.
Don’t understand your logic...assuming the two academy’s kids are taken by the swans they will require points regardless ...any deficit has to be taken into account at some point....if not this year than it comes off next round 1 or 2..as it stands now take out pick 3 and the swans only have something like 1300 points...my suggestion could be viable if you rated this years draft over next, and if you perhaps thought the ‘21 trade/draft period by the swans will focus on established players and maybe drafting a couple of young rucks who usually slip through to Rd 2 and 3.

Imo, if we let Campbell go to another club we don't deserve him. I would be disgusted if he we tried to call him back after LETTING HIM Go.

I would be insulted as Campbell that they didn't value me enough to keep me out of North Melbourne, and I would never consider going back to the Swans.

I don't mind letting him go (although I feel it would be a massive mistake), but my pet peeve on this board right now is the "let him go and bring him back in 2 years".

Makes me so angry.

I know he's had a great year from reading, but I don't notice him much either. What does he do in the mids that we need?
Cats would be bonkers to get rid of him for a 33 year old Higgins.
Just a very good wingman. High meters gained and very solid disposal efficiency. He's also usually very good at getting score involvements.
Knows his job and does it very well.

IMO wouldn't be AA with us, and Dawson and Blakey have higher upside than him, but he would teach them a lot if he came over.

Imo, if we let Campbell go to another club we don't deserve him. I would be disgusted if he we tried to call him back after LETTING HIM Go.

I would be insulted as Campbell that they didn't value me enough to keep me out of North Melbourne, and I would never consider going back to the Swans.

I don't mind letting him go (although I feel it would be a massive mistake), but my pet peeve on this board right now is the "let him go and bring him back in 2 years".

Makes me so angry.
If it came down to Phillips or Campbell for our highest pick in like forever, then he can have a couple of years in Melbourne to broaden his horizons.
Travel is good for a young man.

Just a very good wingman. High meters gained and very solid disposal efficiency. He's also usually very good at getting score involvements.
Knows his job and does it very well.

IMO wouldn't be AA with us, and Dawson and Blakey have higher upside than him, but he would teach them a lot if he came over.
I agree, except he is just an older version of Dawson. His foot skills are amazing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back