Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty daft comment when only 1/3 of the off season player movement periods have come and gone. With the draft and free agency (2) still to go, Dodoro could quite easily address the needs of our list.
The draft generally addresses needs in 2-3+ years time, not in the following season.
Surely the failure to lure an inside mid again can't be seen as a pass mark this trading period?

More evidence of how little you understand the Essendon list.

The glaring obvious inside midfielder is obvious but again failing to recognise the need for speed from the back half (Hind has been offered that role apparently) and many wanted a KPF to which we addressed through the acquisition of Peter Wright for a token future fourth round selection.
There’s a reason why we never played hind of half back at afl level his defensive efforts are pretty soft to say the least so good luck with playing him there. My point is if you didn’t want to pay the price for Dunkley then ok fair enough but you could have brought in cheaper players that still could have been helpful I mean we brought in jack Steele for a second rounder and Zak Jones for a third rounder that has been a massive help but it’s like dodoro doesn’t even look for these type of deals even you would have to admit this .

The glaring obvious inside midfielder is obvious but again failing to recognise the need for speed from the back half (Hind has been offered that role apparently) and many wanted a KPF to which we addressed through the acquisition of Peter Wright for a token future fourth round selection.
Also if you think peter wright is capable of leading a forward line then your going to be disappointed his a good second tall at best

Hind isn't much. He's 26 years old and has played 21 fairly mediocre games.

I'd suggest learning more about loyalty and dedication to your employer.

I have had loyal and dedicated employees who turned out to be utterly disastrous * wits.

Which is quite apt in this discussion. Thanks for raising the point.

Pretty daft comment when only 1/3 of the off season player movement periods have come and gone. With the draft and free agency (2) still to go, Dodoro could quite easily address the needs of our list.

So he's going into the draft and delisted free agent pool and will pick up 2 back flankers, at least one KPD, a couple of competitive inside mids, two tall forwards, who can actually mark the football, a small forward who turns up to play every week, a ruckman and some players with pace.

All of them ready to go.

Wow. Is he going to get a unicorn or two as well?

I agree.

That's why giving up pick 6 and a likely top 3 pick for a midfielder not in the current top 25 in the game would've been silly.

I agree that Dunkley isn't worth 2 first round picks. At least not 2 early first round picks. I would have thought one first round and a second.

I guess my point is that he's incapable of building a list given his track record. Nothing says that he knows how to do so. You have needed an inside mid for years. One became available that actually wanted to play for you. The deal didn't get done (sure the request was unreasonable). When your mids are getting beaten up next year, the media will be carrying on about your lack of inside grunt. They wont remember that the Doggies were requesting way overs for him.

Also if you think peter wright is capable of leading a forward line then your going to be disappointed his a good second tall at best

Third tall. And at times through next year he'll be expected to lead the forward line. Stewart is also a third tall. And they are both poor at ground level if they don't mark the ball. And they rarely take marks.

Essendon are in for a whole world of hurt.

And Dodoro continues to rake in a few hundred thousand as the salubrious list manager.

I agree that Dunkley isn't worth 2 first round picks. At least not 2 early first round picks. I would have thought one first round and a second.
Cool. That's what we offered.

I've been off Dodoro longer than most on here. You don't need to go off on tangents to try and convince me he needs to go.

Cool. That's what we offered.

I've been off Dodoro longer than most on here. You don't need to go off on tangents to try and convince me he needs to go.

Thing is though you needed to offer a 2021 first rounder in order to get the Dogs interested. A first rounder this year didnt interest them as evidenced by them trading their own for later picks.

Thing is though you needed to offer a 2021 first rounder in order to get the Dogs interested. A first rounder this year didnt interest them as evidenced by them trading their own for later picks.
Yep.

Do you think we finish about 14th next year? Even with Dunkley?

Yep.

I reckon Essendon are bottom 4 certainties for next year, but would have been top half of the bottom 10 with him. He's one of those guys who's more than the sum of his parts and would have made Shiel, Merrett, McGrath et al better.

It's not just not obtaining him that's the issue. Essendon didn't want to pay up, and that's a fair enough decision (albeit not one I would have made if I was Dodoro), it's the knock on affect next year. Does Merrett want to hang around in a bottom 4 team? Will other contracted or uncontracted players want out if the team regresses again?

Dunkley sells short-term, mid-term and long term hope to supporters and obviously provides an elite ball-winner for the Bombers to work off at the coalface for a decade. A surprising finish next year, even as high as say 10th or 11th, probably stems some of the bleeding and gives someone like Merrett more incentive to stay.

The problem with continued poor performance is they lapse into perpetual malaise, and at that point no quality players want to join.

I don't think Dodoro realises it but Dunkley is probably going to be the last quality player who looks to join Essendon for quite some time, which is another reason why they've just lost out in a big way by not signing him when they could have.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have had loyal and dedicated employees who turned out to be utterly disastrous fu** wits.

Which is quite apt in this discussion. Thanks for raising the point.

So he's going into the draft and delisted free agent pool and will pick up 2 back flankers, at least one KPD, a couple of competitive inside mids, two tall forwards, who can actually mark the football, a small forward who turns up to play every week, a ruckman and some players with pace.

All of them ready to go.

Wow. Is he going to get a unicorn or two as well?

It's obvious youré enjoying the trolling. I'll bite

I understand it's not going to be an instant fix, everyone want's to be there about's every year, heck it's taken you blokes 20 years just to be competitive again let alone make finals.

If Rob Forster Knight (who is actually our head recruiter) can fix some holes through the draft then that'll help, we are carrying a few blokes on the list who (one point I raise with Dodoro) are contracted that imho shouldn't be that should be upgraded in due time.

As for your crap comment about listing positions we need;

2 back flankers (Nick Hind has been mooted to play there and I am hoping Dyson Heppell will be moved back)
a KPD (Cody Brand is rated very highly and more than likely we match let alone us potentially grabbing Cox or Reid with one of our early selections)
a couple of inside mids (Jye Caldwell says hi and hoping we grab another with one of those early selections)
Two tall forwards (Josh Eyre blew the testing out of the water recently and we paid virtally nothing for Peter Wright)
A small forward would be nice and perhaps something we need to address faster than even we think
A ruckmen (we addressed this last year with Nick Bryan who the club seems to rate very highly whilt having one of the best young rucks in the comp sporting a dirty hair cut and dominating early doors already. With list cuts, it appears we may very well run three rucks on the list and not the usual 4 (Andrew PHillips for depth in case of a Draper injury.

So over all, you just want to take pot shots. I'd suggest you understand the Essendon list a llittle bit more before throwing stones in glass houses please.

Third tall. And at times through next year he'll be expected to lead the forward line. Stewart is also a third tall. And they are both poor at ground level if they don't mark the ball. And they rarely take marks.

Essendon are in for a whole world of hurt.

And Dodoro continues to rake in a few hundred thousand as the salubrious list manager.
What a silly comment

James Stewart averaged more contested marks than Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kennedy (WCE), Jack Riewoldt even Big Boy McEvoy who is a reknown contested marker in 2020.

As for leading the line, Im under no illusion that Wright is NOT going to be a 50+ goal a year power forward, if he can contribute with 1.5 goals a game (that's 35ish goals) for the year that's a win for what we paid for him.

Last edited:
Jye Caldwell is 183cm and 82kgs, he's not the big bodied inside beast Essendon have been needing for a number of years. They had the chance to grab one but Dodoro was concerned about "winning the deal" than actually making the list better, which brings us back to the OP.

By Dodoro's own admission, he wouldn't himself have accepted what he offered for Dunkley. The fact they didn't grab anyone capable of playing a similar role is a massive failure for not having a genuine plan B.

Jye Caldwell is 183cm and 82kgs, he's not the big bodied inside beast Essendon have been needing for a number of years. They had the chance to grab one but Dodoro was concerned about "winning the deal" than actually making the list better, which brings us back to the OP.

By Dodoro's own admission, he wouldn't himself have accepted what he offered for Dunkley. The fact they didn't grab anyone capable of playing a similar role is a massive failure for not having a genuine plan B.

From what most people are saying Caldwell is a Joel Selwood style player. 183cm in stature but 192cm by heart. As for no plan B, the draft hasn't even come and gone and everyone is suggesting Dodoro has failed, going the early crow aren't we all?

Yep.

14th without Dunkley i would say no. With Dunkley easily. Hes already a top grade inside mid about to enter his prime and given the opportunity to really demonstrate his wares with Shiel and Merrett free to be first receivers and clear the stoppages. Yeah, I think he would have been transformative for your midfield.

I agree, 2 first rounders is too much. But I think Dodoro could have got the deal done with your 2021 first being the centrepiece with your Fantasia second round pick being the sweetener. They needed the points for Jamarra remember, that would have helped.

If your 2021 1st is deemed too high given the reported strength of the 2021 draft, make a deal for Collingwoods 2021 first rounder and use that.

Plenty of ways to skin this cat.

I've been vocal on here re: Dodoro's incompetence (someone called it mismanagement...nah it's a lot worse than that). Dunkley however is not worth a 2021 first round pick. We're talking top 4-5. No way would you give up one of those. I hear the arguments about selling hope etc and he would have improved the team. That's still a lot to give away. Would he even be in the top 25 mids?

2 back flankers (Nick Hind has been mooted to play there and I am hoping Dyson Heppell will be moved back)
a KPD (Cody Brand is rated very highly and more than likely we match let alone us potentially grabbing Cox or Reid with one of our early selections)
a couple of inside mids (Jye Caldwell says hi and hoping we grab another with one of those early selections)
Two tall forwards (Josh Eyre blew the testing out of the water recently and we paid virtally nothing for Peter Wright)
A small forward would be nice and perhaps something we need to address faster than even we think
A ruckmen (we addressed this last year with Nick Bryan who the club seems to rate very highly whilt having one of the best young rucks in the comp sporting a dirty hair cut and dominating early doors already. With list cuts, it appears we may very well run three rucks on the list and not the usual 4 (Andrew PHillips for depth in case of a Draper injury.

So over all, you just want to take pot shots. I'd suggest you understand the Essendon list a llittle bit more before throwing stones in glass houses please.

It is clear that you rate every single name in that lot much higher than anybody not wearing black and red blinkers does.

Just to pick out a few.

Nick Hind. Very amusing. It would be a stretch to even call the bloke a journeyman.
Peter Wright for virtually nothing. You overpaid. We are talking about a bloke who couldn't get a game as third tall at The Suns FFS.
Jye Caldwell. A short light bodied 11 game player running at just over one clearance a game for his 11 games is the answer to the screaming need for a big strong inside mid? Oh dear.
One of the best young rucks in the league? Just no.

And stop telling everybody who points out the blindingly obvious deficiencies Essendon has on every line that they don't understand. It's juvenile.

I understand it's not going to be an instant fix, everyone want's to be there about's every year, heck it's taken you blokes 20 years just to be competitive again let alone make finals.

Nah. In reality it's taken three to four years. The rest of the time was wasted with gross mismanagement.

Last edited:
Dodoro has little to hang his hat on. Caldwell will be a decent B grader. 2MP will be a bust. Smith was a good trade in but the others not so much. As for the draft some good players have been found and I think their development has failed to date. Some criticism of Dodo would be better directed at those charged with developing young talent.

That is more luck than anything. We are more obsessed with on field results and thus give more opportunity to more developed players than our youngsters.

And therein lies the problem with the 21st century mentality of this club and it’s supporter base. The club could almost use it as a membership slogan, except anyone with half a brain might start to question how effective this ‘obsession’ has been.

Last edited:
It is clear that you rate every single name in that lot much higher than anybody not wearing black and red blinkers does.

Just to pick out a few.

Nick Hind. Very amusing. It would be a stretch to even call the bloke a journeyman.
Peter Wright for virtually nothing. You overpaid. We are talking about a bloke who couldn't get a game as third tall at The Suns FFS.
Jye Caldwell. A short light bodied 11 game player running at just over one clearance a game for his 11 games is the answer for the screaming need for a big strong inside mid? Oh dear.
One of the best young rucks in the league? Just no.

And stop telling everybody who points out the blindingly obvious deficiencies Essendon has on every line that they don't understand. It's juvenile.

I have continually said the players we have acquired through trades (this year) are not going to be the saviours, Josh Dunkley was never going to be that either so happy for Adrian Dodoro to walk away. If these guys ca contribute in a small reboot of our list then so be it.

And theirin lies the problem with the 21st century mentality of this club and it’s supporter base. The club could almost use it as a membership slogan, except anyone with half a brain might start to question how effective this ‘obsession’ has been.

This is where my problem began. Way back with our 2012 draftee group whom I watched week in week out. The lack of opportunity given to them and most youngsters that have followed has been on the coaching staff more than the list manager. Can't blame Dodoro for a coach not selecting a player let alone playing said player in there preferred position more permanently.

Dodoro has little to hang his hat on. Caldwell will be a decent B grader. 2MP will be a bust. Smith was a good trade in but the others not so much. As for the draft some good players have been found and I think their development has failed to date. Some criticism of Dodo would be better directed at those charged with developing young talent.

This guy gets it.

Many draft watchers said that Aaron Fracis was the most talented in his age group, we snagged him at pick 6. We have arguarbly ruined him with a myriad of excuses for how poor we have developed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back