Player Watch #29: Will Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Was trying to figure out who his kicking style reminded me of and I couldn’t place it but I think you’re right, looks like Selwood.
Took me a little while too but it's very similar. It was one thing about Will I wasn't completely sure of more through my question on his depth and penetration. Selwood isn't a booming kick but can easily hit up targets over 40-50m if Wills kicking can continue to follow Joel's I won't have an issue

did I read/hear correctly that he has captained every team coming through as a junior as well as school captain. What really stands out to me, is he sounds meticulous in his preparation and process. That would resound well with Boomber, JB, and Brady, and more than likely Nobes as well. I think at the pointy end of the draft those factors stand out as a point of differentiation. Raw talent only goes so far, but those qualities ensure that a player is worthy of a high pick. To me there are Zero question marks over this guy. As much as I liked Logan, I gotta say, I really think the club absolutely nailed this pick.
You are on the money. You just know that Phillips will give everything to get the best out of himself, will do his absolute best in each and every contest in each and every game and will do everything he can to help his team mates and the club improve. We are getting far more than just a contested ball animal. We are getting a future captain. He may not have the ceiling of some other players in this draft but there is far more likelihood that Phillips will play to his ceiling for a long time than anyone else.

Last edited:
You just know that Phillips will give everything to get the best out of himself, will do his absolute best in each and every contest in each and every game and will do everything he can to help his team mates and the club improve. We are getting far more than just a contested ball animal. We are getting a future captain. He may not have the ceiling of some other players in this draft but there is far more likelihood that Phillips will play to his ceiling for a long time than anyone else.
yes

You will struggle to find a better display of inside play, one touch play, instinctive use off either hand and placement of handball in one video than you will here. I recommend people pay close attention to how he uses the correct hand to handball in each and every situation and by and large hits his targets or leads his targets to where they need to be.

He also keeps his feet fantastically well, meaning that he cruises from his disposal to be available for another, then from contest to contest. He will be relentless. Willentless.

After going back and seeing his footage again, the thing I'm most impressed with is the types of kicks he attempts (and most often hits).

Really creates opportunities and its something I've felt we have sorely been lacking, rather going the Ziebell hack-it-forward than hitting targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked. No doubt in my mind that he is the best midfielder in this draft.

His output (at times) in his underage year was matching that of Matt Rowell who was in his top age year.

Leadership, courage, toughness and high footy IQ. He’s going to play ALOT of footy for North

Stoked. No doubt in my mind that he is the best midfielder in this draft.

His output (at times) in his underage year was matching that of Matt Rowell who was in his top age year.

Leadership, courage, toughness and high footy IQ. He’s going to play ALOT of footy for North
This. It feels like 10 hours since he was drafted and I'm still jumping up and down inside that we drafted him.

It's everything you said, but it's also the elite defensive speed and mentality that excites me. He wins the footy, he uses it well, he's really smart, but his doggedness and willingness to put in the hard yards defensively on top of all that that will add so much to our midfield. I've posted this like 5 times already tonight, but that Simpkin-LDU-Phillips midfield lacks absolutely nothing. It's so balanced and just perfect. I can't even ... Damn.

people are going to hate me for saying this about our new toy buy i see a bit of Zack Jones to him

It’s the shaved bonce in the highlights. Add the flowing coiffure he now sports and he looks completely different to ZJ.

Good luck Will, seems like a great lad. I have called him a meat and potatoes footballer throughout the year, and upon reflection maybe I’ve missed the mark a bit. I wish him nothing but success, and can definitely see why the club have gone this route.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back