Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Knightmare's not convinced:

While Port Adelaide need to add to their long-term key position stocks, the selection of Oliver Lord, grandson of Alistair Lord, was a questionable decision. Lord averaged a pedestrian five disposals in 2019 and less than one mark per game and less than one goal every second game. The hope is with Lord being a high leaper and having good speed that he will develop, but without seeing his rate of improvement this year and having an early January birthday, the pick feels like a reach.

I mean, no one should be 'convinced' on most picks this year given half of them haven't played a game of football in their draft year. We basically drafted on attributes.

At pick 49, a project KPF was a fair enough selection. I know some people really wanted Kaine Baldwin, but with his injury history he would've also been a speculative pick. It wasn't a risk any other club was prepared to take either.

I mean, no one should be 'convinced' on most picks this year given half of them haven't played a game of football in their draft year. We basically drafted on attributes.

Absolutely. You hear about clubs killing the draft and getting an A+ and it's even more speculative than usual.

Lachie Jones has absolutely smashed his draft year in terms of exposed form.

Ollie Lord, who knows? He has some good attributes and he's keen to come here. He didn't do much in a handful of games in 2019 as a bottom ager at Sandringham after he finished college football, playing in a team with established key forwards.

I'm hardly going to judge him on that.

From the 2020 Draft Central profile

Talls taken in the draft, results for all state combine results
Joshua Eyre pick 39 by Essendon - Running Vertical jump right leg 87cms =6th, left leg 93cms =9th
Liam McMahon pick 31 Collingwood - right leg 86cms =10th,

20m Sprint Victorian combine only
Joshua Eyre 2.893sec 6th = 8th Oz wide
Ugle-Hagan 2.897sec 8th = 10th Oz wide
Liam McMahon 2.923sec 10th = 17th Oz wide
Fraser Rosman pick 34 by Melbourne = 2.896sec 7th = 9th Oz wide.

Dougal Howard's 20m sprint time was 2.94sec

1607656990090.png

Last edited:
You can't argue with Knightmare on this one- seems a reach. I had Lord as a rookie only consideration. That was based on his athletic traits. His exposed TAC cup form is virtually nil.

However, he did play in the All Star game and played a year of school footy in 2019. Maybe Parker had eyes at those games.

Interesting to hear what word comes out of Alberton about Lord in the next few months. Given what we have achieved at the draft in recent times, I would trust Parker if he chose my grandma and just assume that the rest she has had since her funeral has returned her to top physical fitness.

You can't argue with Knightmare on this one- seems a reach. I had Lord as a rookie only consideration. That was based on his athletic traits. His exposed TAC cup form is virtually nil.

However, he did play in the All Star game and played a year of school footy in 2019. Maybe Parker had eyes at those games.

Interesting to hear what word comes out of Alberton about Lord in the next few months. Given what we have achieved at the draft in recent times, I would trust Parker if he chose my grandma and just assume that the rest she has had since her funeral has returned her to top physical fitness.
These guys would have watched more of him than Parker in 2019. Bloke in bold suffered from the Covid cuts.

Anthony Parkin (Vic office)Assistant Recruiting Manager
Anton Grbac (Vic office)Talent Scout
Brett Anderson (Vic office)Talent Scout

From what was on offer that late in the draft, it seemed fine. He was pick 49 lol, that's one of the last few players selected. He could have been a rookie tbh, but I guess if we wanted him it made sense to just use the pick and secure him than see him go to the rookie draft even if there was only the slightest whiff of someone being keen on him. Our first pick in the rookie draft was quite late so makes sense I guess given Taj was a certainty by that point.

Im hearing the Kaine Baldwin chat and how we should have had a go at him. None of the other 17 clubs did in either the main draft or the rookie draft so that surely says something

Im happy to back the club in on this. Our track record on draft has has been exceptional over the last few years. They obviously see something in this lad they feel they can work with. If they felt Baldwin was a better option they would have taken him

Lets back the kid in. Im liking what i see in his highlights. Seems to have a great leap and a great set of mitts and can stick marks both constested and uncontested. Seems to have some good speed as well

I have no issue with this pick, was clearly based on attributes rather than exposed form and as a tall for the future.

He will no doubt take some time but I think it's promising that he grew 2cm this year if the 197cm height stated by Foxdooty is accurate. 197 makes him an ideal size to front up structurally as a key forward that can do forward 50 ruck work .

The key to this guy is that he seems to be well rounded. He can lead, follow up his work and has a good kick on him. He is also a bottom-ager which means that he has a lot of improvement left in him. I give the example of Jonathan Patton. He was a man-child and now he is in the AFL he is just an average forward. They say this kid is raw because he is a kid...

From the 2020 Draft Central profile

Talls taken in the draft, results for all state combine results
Joshua Eyre pick 39 by Essendon - Running Vertical jump right leg 87cms =6th, left leg 93cms =9th
Liam McMahon pick 31 Collingwood - right leg 86cms =10th,

20m Sprint Victorian combine only
Joshua Eyre 2.893sec 6th = 8th Oz wide
Ugle-Hagan 2.897sec 8th = 10th Oz wide
Liam McMahon 2.923sec 10th = 17th Oz wide
Fraser Rosman pick 34 by Melbourne = 2.896sec 7th = 9th Oz wide.

Dougal Howard's 20m sprint time was 2.94sec

View attachment 1026510

Yeah but where do you run?
You are not getting space or separation in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key to this guy is that he seems to be well rounded. He can lead, follow up his work and has a good kick on him. He is also a bottom-ager which means that he has a lot of improvement left in him. I give the example of Jonathan Patton. He was a man-child and now he is in the AFL he is just an average forward. They say this kid is raw because he is a kid...
Actually, he's a top ager not a bottom ager. Born 2 January 2002 make him the oldest member of his draft class. Jones was born in April, Thilthorpe in July, Schofield in September.

That is another reason for concern. We are actually banking on him being a late bloomer but covid meant we were able to see no signs of it in 2020.

Sounds like he has the foundation for a KPP inasmuch as he takes contested marks already.
A couple of summers of barbells and steak dinners to add some muscle, and he will be an absolute killer.
Hope so. This is our most speculative pick for a while but if it works out, we are in for a dynasty:

Georgiades (19) Lord (18) Williams (19)
Rozee (20) Marshall (22) Fantasia (25)
Amon (25) Wines (26) Duursma (20)
Burton (23) Aliir (26) Jones (18)
Byrne-Jones (25) Clurey (26) Houston (23)
Ladhams (22) Powell-Pepper (22) Butters (20)
Hayes (21) Mead (19) Bergman (18) J.Burgoyne (17)

Average age=21.4

Not selected under 27: Mayes, Lienert, Bonner, Drew, Farrell, Garner, Woodcock, Frederick, T.Burgoyne, Schofield

Give that lot 5 years and 5 more first round picks!

Great interview and sounds like a well adjusted kid...

Port Adelaide's new recruit Ollie Lord joined Kane and Hayesy following the AFL Draft.
Sounds like a cluey kid. leant what the * timber top means after hearing the phrase for years.

As much as we might criticize Burgess, the thing that he brought was a sound program and a scientific approach. His method of training may have not worked but to think that he doesn't or the team he left behind haven't got the resources to self reflect and correct.

Minimizing injuries, tracking training loads and periodizing is an art that is developed through the self reflective process. And conditioning coaches are not personal trainers. They are as sought after as sport scientists. Our old fitness guys Russell was a conditioning coach while Burgess is more of a sport scientist. In the US there are plenty of conditioning coaches that have turned teams around and gelled well with the coaching staff to create a competitive advantage.

I was a little disappointed when Burgess didn't have conditioning to the same standard as his team of university educated coaching staff. The advantage of conditioning experts is that they are more into the technique of training and the sports application.

I have been disappointed to sometimes see sloppy technique in the gym and this means that they are science heavy and lighter on conditioning. Doesn't mean that what they are doing isn't world class.

But his approach was very good for Charlie Dixon. He did a lot of ladder and agility work which I felt strengthened what I used to see as flat feet on Chrlie Dixon. I think his emphasis on quick feet was a godsend for players who have ankle injuries. If the conditioning department is smart (and I think they are) they would have kept what worked and worked on what hasn't. Charlie is noticeably more buffed in the last season.

Young Taj on the other hand, with the dodgy ankles could do with a bit of the Burgess style training. It is horses for courses IMO.
I enjoyed the post but how does this relate to young Lord?? Don't trust the fitness staff to bulk him up?

Collingwood’s next key forward might be the grandson of a Brownlow medallist

He stands 197.5 centimetres tall and is still growing with his biggest strength being marking as a key forward. Collingwood might have found their answer to a big key forward if they can secure the pick of draft prospect Ollie Lord at this year’s draft.

Ollie Lord, who is currently 18 years old and boarding at Geelong Grammar in his final year of secondary school, is hoping for his name to be called out on draft night.

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/08/01/collingwoods-next-key-forward-might-be-the-grandson-of-a-brownlow-medallist/

"Ollie’s grandpa Alistair has a twin brother, Stewart Lord, who was also a part of the 1963 Geelong premiership team and played 74 games for the Geelong Cats. Ollie has premium footy genes.
Ollie’s father Darren spent two seasons training with the likes of Gary Ablett Senior at the Geelong Cats but did not play a game."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back