1st Test Australia v India, Dec 17-21 at the Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the point.
Ah.

So, you didn't read the post I made, in which I used the relative strike rates of the bowlers you mentioned to demonstrate that Cummins plays with bowlers who take wickets more frequently than McGrath and Warne did, and therefore takes less wickets as a consequence.

Ah well. It'll feel better in the morning.

Ah.

So, you didn't read the post I made, in which I used the relative strike rates of the bowlers you mentioned to demonstrate that Cummins plays with bowlers who take wickets more frequently than McGrath and Warne did, and therefore takes less wickets as a consequence.

Ah well. It'll feel better in the morning.

Doug Bollinger took wickets at a faster rate than Shane Warne, ergo must have been a greater competition for wickets than Warne.

Or, you know, strike rate actually tells you nothing in a vacuum about the quantum of wickets taken by a particular player.

Doug Bollinger took wickets at a faster rate than Shane Warne, ergo must have been a greater competition for wickets than Warne.

Or, you know, strike rate actually tells you nothing in a vacuum about the quantum of wickets taken by a particular player.
Is this the bit where I have to explain how time works?

You know what, nevermind. Have fun shouting at that cloud.

Sorry to break this fast bowling conversation up but we have now had 8 pink ball tests in Australia and 3 have been decided inside 3 days.

A further three have been decided inside 4 days while two have been decided in the first session of day 5.

Last edited:
Sorry to break this fast bowling conversation up but we have now had 8 pink ball tests in Australia and 3 have been decided inside 3 days. Any cuase for concern there?

A further three have been decided inside 4 days while two have been decided in the first session of day 5.
Wouldn't you be more concerned that a format designed to bring teams closer together in terms of competitiveness just exposes the real pretenders? I'd be fairly concerned for some of those teams who've lost a pink ball test here so quickly

Sorry to break this fast bowling conversation up but we have now had 8 pink ball tests in Australia and 3 have been decided inside 3 days. Any cuase for concern there?

Always something to worry about

Loved having Ryan Harris in the team. I always thought Johnson felt more comfortable with him in the team. I don't know how else to put it. And he so rarely wasted the new ball. At them from the get go.
I always remember Harris for that ball he bowled in Perth - first ball of the second innings to Alastair Cook, who had no idea: the bails went flying. If it wasn't the ball of the summer, there must have been another delivery that's slipped my mind.

forgot ball of the summer its up with the best deliveries i have seen, cant even say it was because of the cracks as it missed them.

Swings in and nips out. Wouldn't have hit that with an esky lid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

forgot ball of the summer its up with the best deliveries i have seen, cant even say it was because of the cracks as it missed them.

Perfection. Utter perfection.

yeah for all 11 Tests he played alongside Johnson. Johnson didn't play his other 62 Tests with Bollinger did he.

Break it down to the most exaggerated example possible.

Say you're a bowler and you have a couple of fast bowling team mates who average a wicket per over.

Do you think that is going to make it tougher to take wickets yourself?

FWIW you can have a strike rate of 6 but still average 30 which is considered average
I get your drift, but the hypothetical you propose is extreme, doncha think?
In 3 overs, apart from the 3 wicket-taking balls, all of the others'd be clobbered for 6, ==> 3/90 :sneaky:
(although ... if the wickets were Pujara, Kohli and Rahane, maybe Paine would take that?? :rolleyesv1:)

LOL @ Wayne Phillips on Adelaide radio this morning. He was talking about the sale of Don Bradman's first baggy green, and he says, "Just imagine how much my cap would be worth - I scored 141 more than the Don did in my first Test innings."

I get your drift, but the hypothetical you propose is extreme, doncha think?
In 3 overs, apart from the 3 wicket-taking balls, all of the others'd be clobbered for 6, ==> 3/90 :sneaky:
(although ... if the wickets were Pujara, Kohli and Rahane, maybe Paine would take that?? :rolleyesv1:)
Oh heck no hahaha

That's why we have strike rates, averages and economy rates that all help tell the story. And each has a different importance in each different format.

If I had someone who had a 72 s/r, but had a low 2 or even sub 2 economy rate in T20s I would think they were a freak but in a test match I'd hardly care for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back