2nd Test Australia v India, Dec 26 - 30 at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's for an audible obscenity, not who it was directed at.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

And on the same night, Finch was mic'ed up by Fox while the Gades were in the field and occasionally they'd listen in to him talking to the bowlers, the team etc - at least twice while doing so he was heard dropping the f-bomb with the commentators apologising for that going to air

I didn't hear of Finch getting in trouble for that, or is there a different set of rules if the audible obscenity is heard over stump mic versus the tv mic that players may be wearing?

And on the same night, Finch was mic'ed up by Fox while the Gades were in the field and occasionally they'd listen in to him talking to the bowlers, the team etc - at least twice while doing so he was heard dropping the f-bomb with the commentators apologising for that going to air

I didn't hear of Finch getting in trouble for that, or is there a different set of rules if the audible obscenity is heard over stump mic versus the tv mic that players may be wearing?
good on him. It's a high pressure game with permutations all over the place that he's trying to sort in his head with fielding placements as well. Umpires need to not take it personally and let the players have some leeway. It's the players who cop it in the media for poor performance, they should be allowed to vent a bit ala zampa

good on him. It's a high pressure game with permutations all over the place that he's trying to sort in his head with fielding placements as well. Umpires need to not take it personally and let the players have some leeway. It's the players who cop it in the media for poor performance, they should be allowed to vent a bit ala zampa

I totally agree - if they are using obscenities at themselves or the situation then surely common sense needs to come into it and we just move on

If instead it's a comment directed at an opponent or the umpire where there's the use of obscenities or other unnecessary derogatory language, then that's the time to step in with an official warning, fine/s and a suspension if it's repeated behaviour

I totally agree - if they are using obscenities at themselves or the situation then surely common sense needs to come into it and we just move on

If instead it's a comment directed at an opponent or the umpire where there's the use of obscenities or other unnecessary derogatory language, then that's the time to step in with an official warning, fine/s and a suspension if it's repeated behaviour
That's exactly right. This is high performance stuff with potential careers on the line. Things are going to be said every now and then because players are tense and the environment is red hot. I was watching a super rugby match as a kid ten or so years ago and Tana Umaga was blowing up at a call the ref made for a very very dubious head high (was shoulder high) and asked him if they were playing tiddlywinks. I didn't understand what he meant then but I sure do now. You've got to let the players have some leeway, otherwise performances will suffer IMO

Last edited:
If CA and the networks have a problem with obscenities from the players, turn the ******* microphones off... Seriously, who gives a s**t about hearing ' bowlllllleeed, nicccceeeee, ooooohhhh'

The most boring addition to cricket

If CA and the networks have a problem with obscenities from the players, turn the ******* microphones off... Seriously, who gives a sh*t about hearing ' bowlllllleeed, nicccceeeee, ooooohhhh'

I could tell last night Aaron Finch was quite uncomfortable trying to keep his emotion from spilling over the mic. "Listening" into games is not a true reflection of what really goes on if everyone near the pitch knows they're live on air and shuts up accordingly, and why wouldn't they? The social media pile on if anyone said anything close to swearing or controversial would be insane. It's a complete waste of time, let the players have some privacy out there and let's just enjoy the cricket without needing to know who just farted etc

If CA and the networks have a problem with obscenities from the players, turn the ******* microphones off... Seriously, who gives a sh*t about hearing ' bowlllllleeed, nicccceeeee, ooooohhhh'

I could tell last night Aaron Finch was quite uncomfortable trying to keep his emotion from spilling over the mic. "Listening" into games is not a true reflection of what really goes on if everyone near the pitch knows they're live on air and shuts up accordingly, and why wouldn't they? The social media pile on if anyone said anything close to swearing or controversial would be insane. It's a complete waste of time, let the players have some privacy out there and let's just enjoy the cricket without needing to know who just farted etc
But then sometimes we get "get ready for a broken ******* arm" and the s**t is gold

Especially T20 where the tactics are not really a big longterm attrition thing at times like a Test match where it would be interesting to hear about. Interviewing a batsman about how he's going to score 8 an over is not going to lend unique insights 99% of the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not necessarily - it can go pad/bat for a short leg/point catch
If it's a valid catch, it's not LBW (since you have to hit it to be a catch and if you've hit it, you should not be given out LBW).
If it's a valid LBW, it's not caught (since you have to miss the ball for it to be LBW, you can't have hit it for it to be a catch).
This is my point. They are simultaneously impossible.

If it's a valid catch, it's not LBW (since you have to hit it to be a catch and if you've hit it, you should not be given out LBW).
If it's a valid LBW, it's not caught (since you have to miss the ball for it to be LBW, you can't have hit it for it to be a catch).
This is my point. They are simultaneously impossible.

to be validly lbw - it can still
Hit the bat. It just had to hit the pad first before it hits the bat

as such you can be both lbw and caught

Not only cricket. Wiring footballers for sound is damned boring also. Remember back when World Series Cricket began and they were looking at various innovations to the way the game was televised? Some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to interview the outgoing batsman. Anyone who has been involved in cricket at a reasonable level understands the time NOT to talk to a batsman is directly after they get out. After a procession of batsmen walking straight past the interviewer, and the odd batsman biting his head off, they decided to scrap the idea. Anyone who think players don't swear on the field is living in fantasyland.

Interesting stat:

Since Australia first ascended the summit in 1995 to dominate world cricket - and make no mistake, in the time since the only team within cooee of them overall is SA and no amount of my own anti-Australian sentiment is going to bridge that gap.

Interestingly, in the interim though, India lead 21-19 head to head. India have won 7 series to Australia's 5.
England with five series wins are the next most successful but have had some colossal defeats in that time.
South Africa have won four and drawn another but their overall record is 13-21.

Naturally I'm sure there will be a few bleeding hearts who will think this is some exercise in having a cheap shot at Australia or being an 'India Lover' which seems to pop up any time anyone says anything positive about them.

But I'm actually surprised and impressed that they've been the one team that has managed to more than break even during that time. Obviously over the last 10-12 years Australia haven't been as good as they were before that when they were nigh on unbeatable. But it is still a bit of a shock that there is a team that actually has a winning record in that period. They might have had their deficiencies in producing, and playing, fast bowling at times but you would struggle to make a case that they're easily intimidated.

Interesting stat:

Since Australia first ascended the summit in 1995 to dominate world cricket - and make no mistake, in the time since the only team within cooee of them overall is SA and no amount of my own anti-Australian sentiment is going to bridge that gap.

Interestingly, in the interim though, India lead 21-19 head to head. India have won 7 series to Australia's 5.
England with five series wins are the next most successful but have had some colossal defeats in that time.
South Africa have won four and drawn another but their overall record is 13-21.

Naturally I'm sure there will be a few bleeding hearts who will think this is some exercise in having a cheap shot at Australia or being an 'India Lover' which seems to pop up any time anyone says anything positive about them.

But I'm actually surprised and impressed that they've been the one team that has managed to more than break even during that time. Obviously over the last 10-12 years Australia haven't been as good as they were before that when they were nigh on unbeatable. But it is still a bit of a shock that there is a team that actually has a winning record in that period. They might have had their deficiencies in producing, and playing, fast bowling at times but you would struggle to make a case that they're easily intimidated.

You could probably argue on paper that India's greatest ever side was around the era aswell.

Sehwag, Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar, Dhoni, Singh, Kumble.

These guys all have world class records.

As simple as it sounds, I think it's harder to win in India than Australia. Indian conditions are so so foreign and so specialty, in Australia good batsmen can thrive no matter where they are from same with pace bowlers.

You could probably argue on paper that India's greatest ever side was around the era aswell.

Sehwag, Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar, Dhoni, Singh, Kumble.

These guys all have world class records.

As simple as it sounds, I think it's harder to win in India than Australia. Indian conditions are so so foreign and so specialty, in Australia good batsmen can thrive no matter where they are from same with pace bowlers.

i don't disagree. Though I also don't think it is a co-incidence that the tipping of the balance (statistically) has co-incided with the arrival of a growing battery of decent quicks. try as he might - and he did bowl well in 03-04 out here - Kumble couldn't get the up and down bounce here that would make him good enough to carry their attack. Srinath was a good quick with next to no support. The forerunners to today's generation in RP Singh and Sreesanth - as well as the 18-year-old Ishant Sharma changed the dynamic a bit with that win in Perth 12-13 years ago.

And I totally agree I think it is logically a bit easier for Indian batsmen to adjust to our decks than it is for Australian guys to adjust to theirs. I think a lot of it also came from, as much as he was a jerk, Sourav Ganguly. Tendulkar gave India a backbone in that the rest of the team and its fans knew there was one guy who at least would keep them competitive. Ganguly as a captain - and I guess Dravid as far as giving them a batsman who thrived outside India goes - seemed to infuse them with a bit of belief that they could ALL contribute overseas and not just rely on SRT to do it for them.

I think this current Indian side is better than the Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly side, it might not be as strong batting line up but the bowling is so much more classy.
There are positives of of both set ups. Whilst Tendulkar and co were more stable and reliable, Kohli and co are much more aggressive and eager to win

There are positives of of both set ups. Whilst Tendulkar and co were more stable and reliable, Kohli and co are much more aggressive and eager to win
It's the mindsets to me that set them apart, when I was growing up Indian sides that came out here were softly spoken with many speaking no English, deferential and with the odd highlight aside, mostly unsuccessful. I'd argue Tendulkar and co had more in common with them whereas the modern Indian side doesn't think like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back