Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Round 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.

Ideally he would be given time to get physically up to speed, rolled in and out of the team and not third banana behind Cunners and Simpkin.

Gun, yes. Ready for key role? No.
Powell is up to it. The 2s would do nothing for him imo

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Never retire Cunnington, please. Ever.
JZ grows and grows in defence
Atu great
Mckay fantastic
Larkey tried but was double, triple, quadruple teamed. Needs help, don’t think Campbell offers enough despite marked improvement from last week. Xerri hopefully next week
Thomas needs to offer more. Great when he gets it though
Thought kids were OK. Mahoney needs to be dropped for own good and kick some goals
Turner did OK on Selwood.

Thought skills overall were better but jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee we have a long way to go.
Loved Kyron’s hit on danger. Did NOT love Kyron’s kicking.

Overall.. happy with today. Baby steps.

He has a crack and is very athletic but he’s not up to it. The only reason he’s playing is because our backline is decimated

I like you as a poster, but this is an absolute mare.

Champion Data had him as our 7th best player on the ground, in his 4th game at AFL level, in his 5th game in the backline in his life.

That was a much better game than anything Hayden has put out.

He has pace, power and composure. Based on tonight we are kidding if we don’t give this kid every game for the rest of the year.

He might be out answer to the quick small forwards.

Powell is up to it. The 2s would do nothing for him imo

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well it would.

It would allow him to develop physically and fully express himself against men on ball.

Not saying he isn't AFL capable as he clearly is. But he would benefit from the ability to play at VFL level at times this year. As it stands he won't get that opportunity whilst we have so many seniors injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally checked the individual stats and once again just far too many players not getting enough of the ball.

Laz 5 disposal from 66% TOG
Scott 6 from 77 is particularly awful
Phillips 7 from 71
Hayden 7 from 76
Turner 8 from 82 (made Sookwood disappear though)
Mahony 8 from 79
TT 11 from 77

They are just kids mate. Give it time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair enough. I thought he was good.

Simpkin, Cunners, McKay, Ziebell, Boner, Turner were good. If I broke the group into good, average and below average Atu would be in the average/below average group.

I’m reasonably happy with the effort today so I’m not about to get into a slagging of our players session

I like you as a poster, but this is an absolute mare.

Champion Data had him as our 7th best player on the ground, in his 4th game at AFL level, in his 5th game in the backline in his life.

That was a much better game than anything Hayden has put out.

He has pace, power and composure. Based on tonight we are kidding if we don’t give this kid every game for the rest of the year.

He might be out answer to the quick small forwards.

I hope you’re right. Would be a massive win for us

Frustrating, ugly and lacklustre game of football this evening. Not to say there weren't positives, especially in the first quarter, and even when we once again lacked any energy in the fourth term, we weren't completely put away - but Geelong were far from great today, giving us about as many opportunities to hurt them as we routinely give up to our opponents, and we consistently struggled to capitalise. That comes down to both skill execution and decision-making, and we seemed, too often, to not take our chances in front of goal, or to misdirect a pass out of defence or into the forward 50 directly to a Cats player, often without being under serious pressure. Naturally, that's a concern, as is the number of players making only limited contributions across the match (which leaves too much to too few).

At the moment, Bonar and McKay look like permanent fixtures in the back line long-term, both did exceptionally well today. Couple of others had solid ones also, I thought Campbell played decently and Hall started well, and Cunnington with a good start to the game forces the opposition onto the back foot straight away. A few others who were fine too, Bosenavulagi didn't seem too out of place for us either, but again, too much left to too few (massive disposal differential for the game backs this up). With so many injuries, it's difficult, but ideally we would rotate a few out next week given we're travelling and have a six day break...

So yeah, nice to again reduce our 'smallest losing margin' a bit, but too many elements continue to let us down, and just in general not a particularly inspiring match of football.

I hope you’re right. Would be a massive win for us

Our three cleanest players on the ground were Cunnington, Powell and Atu.

All three just didn’t double grab anything.

The first two are absolute freaks, if Atu is in the same conversation as those two, you can only imagine how good of an intercept mark he’s going to be with 50-100 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back