Recommitted Quinton Narkle [one year contract extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

Clark and Narkle should be playing every week. It will be a disaster if they leave.

No it wont if we can use what we get from them to trade in other player types we need more.

Surely it's time for cats to hit the draft?

We have been doing that for years and will do so again this year. Narkle doesnt impact that issue one way or the other.

And yes we need for example a proper ruck more than we need narkle. That said id like to keep narkle but its not about whether he stays or not its about whether we improve the overall list.

We do hit the draft, but we have a habit of getting AFL players from late picks or the rookie list. The majority of our backline this year has been rookie listed.

First round picks we don't have the greatest record with.
I know the feeling
We have been doing that for years and will do so again this year. Narkle doesnt impact that issue one way or the other.

And yes we need for example a proper ruck more than we need narkle. That said id like to keep narkle but its not about whether he stays or not its about whether we improve the overall list.
No but in 2 years time when Higgins, Selwood, Hawkins, Smith, Tuohy, Hendserson are all gone plus Danger, Duncan, Rohan, Menegola, Guthrie and Dalhaus are all 31+ or retired you'll need some mid 20s quality to take over, not 19 year olds.

I just think it's very short sighted not to be pumping games into guys like Narkle, Clark and Holmes before Higgins Dahlhaus etc when the difference in output is minimal.

I know the feeling

No but in 2 years time when Higgins, Selwood, Hawkins, Smith, Tuohy, Hendserson are all gone plus Danger, Duncan, Rohan, Menegola, Guthrie and Dalhaus are all 31+ or retired you'll need some mid 20s quality to take over, not 19 year olds.

I just think it's very short sighted not to be pumping games into guys like Narkle, Clark and Holmes before Higgins Dahlhaus etc when the difference in output is minimal.

I agree - but there is no point pumping games into players if the club is not confident that they will make it as AFL players.

Higgins and Dalhaus are a sore point with me and other Cats supporters but those players do the things the coaching team asks of them. Clark doesn't and he has not deserved a spot this year, Narkle I thought was doing well but perhaps there is something he was asked to do that he isn't doing - Holmes is not ready for AFL but he is getting about as much exposure as we can give him.

The same theme around our list being about to fall off a cliff has been around for the past decade - and we haven't. Maybe we will in the future who knows?

Surely it's time for cats to hit the draft?

You have to define ...hit the draft. Do you mean use all the picks we have ..or trade players out to get earlier? We traded our R1 for this year to Rich to have a pick in last years draft that, to me, indicates a willingness to attack the right player in the draft.

We have picked players thru draft and have players atm that might be getting games at other lists. Im sure Rich are the same. How many clubs woul have held be back CCJ for as long as Rich did.

You have to define ...hit the draft. Do you mean use all the picks we have ..or trade players out to get earlier? We traded our R1 for this year to Rich to have a pick in last years draft that, to me, indicates a willingness to attack the right player in the draft.

We have picked players thru draft and have players atm that might be getting games at other lists. Im sure Rich are the same. How many clubs woul have held be back CCJ for as long as Rich did.
I mean draft kids and play them rather than keep topping up now that the cliff is rapidly approaching for all of your stars. They had to get back into the draft early last year given they sold the farm for Cameron.

Yeah we're in a similar position but not as dramatic. Bolton, Baker, Balta, Graham, Short, Nankervis etc are all 26 or under and great players plus we have 2 x 1st rounders, 2 x 2nd rounders and 2 x 3rd rounders this year. Couldn't see us ever trading for one let alone two 31 plus year olds at the expense of youth like cats did last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be best 22 and a Scrimshaw/Impey type success story if got him across.

We passed on pursuing Karl Amon years back before he exploded. Hopefully we ask the question to Narkle and at least attempt to get him across. I think he'll be a seriously good midfielder in a few years time if given the right opportunity.

I know the feeling

Some of what you say is correct.

It is short sighted but then, that is not to say its wrong. Holmes has played multiple games this year ..for a first year kid, that is not under playing him, especially coming off the year the nabl kids had last year. Clark is at the stage of playing well in VFL but still needs to work on a few issues. Perhaps one could play him but if the club have chosen to go another way, then they see him closer than us. Narkle , in his 5th year, should be playing imo. It is the down side of bringing in mature players.

If we bring in mature players they best be better than marginally better. They mostly have been better than, and mostly if the kid is good enough, they have pushed in.
Our weakest area is KPB and ruck, and our kids are not quite ready. Id like to have been able to add a Bolta the way Rich have, our best chance is not quite ready yet so Henderson play.

Looking at the 28 and younger on our list , in 2 years time we will need to find a couple of younger players. We either do or slide a bit. While you have champions covering slightly lesser players, a lot of choices seem to work. Once a clubs best players go, their process will be tested. Draft or trade, finding elite players is difficult and rarely done.

I mean draft kids and play them rather than keep topping up now that the cliff is rapidly approaching for all of your stars. They had to get back into the draft early last year given they sold the farm for Cameron.

Yeah we're in a similar position but not as dramatic. Bolton, Baker, Balta, Graham, Short, Nankervis etc are all 26 or under and great players plus we have 2 x 1st rounders, 2 x 2nd rounders and 2 x 3rd rounders this year. Couldn't see us ever trading for one let alone two 31 plus year olds at the expense of youth like cats did last season.

What you suggest is to stop playing the best player and play kids even though they are not up to it. What follows would be a quicksand type of meltdown. I disagree we have sold the farm but it depends on how you define the farm I guess. How good the players are that we di not draft last year is yet to be determined, but hard one would geta regular game.

two picks for 31 year olds? We did not do that. Smith was FA. Higgins was a pick in the 30's.

Relevant to this thread, that Narkle could possibly miss selection shows why drafting those three R1 kids is not obviously the right way to go. More than anything , we need a couple of high end quality kids, and due to our finishing position we have not been able to aceess those. IF we could draft a young Selwood or Walsh etc.. they would push their way in.

Didn't Geelong play more 30+ players last night than any team in history?

No it wont if we can use what we get from them to trade in other player types we need more.
Problem with Narkle is unless he starts getting some consistent games you wouldn’t be compensated all that well for him, Clark would still hold some value but would be less than what he was drafted at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back