Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 18 v Tigers @ MCG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payne gets forgiven for quite a few errors, losing his man, spoiling the ball directly to the dangerous spot yet the usual whipping boys who fulfil their role are blamed.

His decision making and reading of the play was the worst I've ever seen him play yesterday. Will not hold his spot if we want Lester back in.

His decision making and reading of the play was the worst I've ever seen him play yesterday. Will not hold his spot if we want Lester back in.

He frees up Adams and Andrews though. Lester plays on the worst forward leaving the bulk of the defending to Adams and Andrews when we need their intercept marking.

He frees up Adams and Andrews though. Lester plays on the worst forward leaving the bulk of the defending to Adams and Andrews when we need their intercept marking.

It's well and good when he's not a liability. He was a liability last night.

I wouldn't be against trying Mitch Robinson forward for a game.

It's well and good when he's not a liability. He was a liability last night.

Liability is a stretch. Our midfield applies no pressure and their ball movement was pretty good. Our defensive systems broke down but we saw how they could work against Geelong when our midfield applies pressure. Same issues with our reserves at the moment and Lester getting dominated by a state league amateur

Watching a large chunk of the reserves today, whoever we bring in, it won't be based on any particularly good form in the reserves. Will probably end up being the most "like for like" replacement which is Fullarton for Hipwood.

I'd be tempted to drop Ah Chee and/or Coleman as well, but I'm not convinced we saw much from the reserves to say anyone would be hard done by not bring brought into the side.

After watching the reserves today I would go with(don't expect our match committee to agree) >

Outs- Eric Hipwood, Grant Birchall, Keidean Coleman, Callum Ah Chee.

Ins- Tom Fullarton, Tom Berry, Jaxon Prior, Ryan Lester.

After watching the reserves today I would go with(don't expect our match committee to agree) >

Outs- Eric Hipwood, Grant Birchall, Keidean Coleman, Callum Ah Chee.

Ins- Tom Fullarton, Tom Berry, Jaxon Prior, Ryan Lester.
All reserves looked ordinary today. In fact, more ordinary than the seniors last night. Fullerton by default should come in but seriously doesn't justify a call up for any other reason than we need someone close to a similar body to Hippy. I sincerely hope he grabs this opportunity now and steps up. Hopefully he can help out in the ruck instead of Joey which will be a bonus.
Last nights game really revealed to me that we are 1 solid/reliable midfielder short in our 22. Sloane type would be ideal.

Get Coleman out, would hardly get a game at North or even some of the powerhouse VFL teams. Soft, can't tackle and for a forward doesn't hit the scoreboard. I guess you'd go Tommy Berry but even then, I'm not impressed by him. I like Tommy Joyce to get a go but doubt Fages wants to give him a go. Surely he wouldn't do any worse than Mathieson or Coleman.

I'm missing Answerth tho. HEs not the missing piece but Id take him over Madden any day of the week and Sunday to.

As for replacing Hipwood, Im going left field and putting Froggy up forward if he gets through the VFL. Is douchebag Lyncg still out for the Tiges? If he's not, id leave Payne in, but if he is, I reckon Payne has average to but I get you need to play the kids and perhaps this the year to do it now that we realistically wont win the flag unless the likes of the Cats, Dogs and Dees all sh!t the bed which I reckon is unlikely.

Get Coleman out, would hardly get a game at North or even some of the powerhouse VFL teams. Soft, can't tackle and for a forward doesn't hit the scoreboard. I guess you'd go Tommy Berry but even then, I'm not impressed by him. I like Tommy Joyce to get a go but doubt Fages wants to give him a go. Surely he wouldn't do any worse than Mathieson or Coleman.

I'm missing Answerth tho. HEs not the missing piece but Id take him over Madden any day of the week and Sunday to.

As for replacing Hipwood, Im going left field and putting Froggy up forward if he gets through the VFL. Is douchebag Lyncg still out for the Tiges? If he's not, id leave Payne in, but if he is, I reckon Payne has average to but I get you need to play the kids and perhaps this the year to do it now that we realistically wont win the flag unless the likes of the Cats, Dogs and Dees all sh!t the bed which I reckon is unlikely.
Melbourne has 3 A+ players ,at least a couple of A's and lots of B+'s as well and I don't think we have that spread of class.

Kiddy doesn't go hard enough to stick tackles ,at least Ah Chee tries to do that , if they can't play Ah Chee forward Tommy Berry is the other option.

Replacing Hipwood is all about getting someone in to play that role with Daniher ,Charlie ,Linc and McStay stepping it up. The only real option to maintain the structure is Fullarton .

I like Payne. He's only played a few games and I'm forgiving last night's effort because he didn't have much hope the way they were bringing it in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne has 3 A+ players ,at least a couple of A's and lots of B+'s as well and I don't think we have that spread of class.

Kiddy doesn't go hard enough to stick tackles ,at least Ah Chee tries to do that , if they can't play Ah Chee forward Tommy Berry is the other option.

Replacing Hipwood is all about getting someone in to play that role with Daniher ,Charlie ,Linc and McStay stepping it up. The only real option to maintain the structure is Fullarton .

I like Payne. He's only played a few games and I'm forgiving last night's effort because he didn't have much hope the way they were bringing it in.
Maybe its time to change the structure a bit. Hipwood isn't coming back this seasn, so how but we go with 2 forwards and an extra small to help keep it in the forward 50. Seems to be cruising out f our area lately.

Riewoldts 300th game as well
Only perception from me but it seems that a lot of milestone games don't go as hoped for the team with the milestone player..... ie. Zorko last night.

I wonder if there is a stat for win loss ratio for milestone games.

after finishing watching the VFL..
Best today was prob Prior and T Berry. Archie did some good things.
Cockatoo had a good last half.
Joyce gets it does not do much damage.

Ballenden went down they said maybe Hammy. Fullarton did not do much although you say he comes in for hipwood.
I still be tempted to try Archie again and leave Joe forward
do we roll the dice on Cockatoo even under done maybe.
T Berry speed and attack on the ball and players fantastic.. Disposal still up and down.

Lots had a bad game.. Tigers be really up after so many losses. Unless their bubble has burst 2005 season anyone.

Edit said on a different thread. Big O a better forward option then Fullarton.
So think Archie to ruck 70-30 and Big O and Joe in the 50.

Last edited:
I want fullarton in and get Joe to play hippy’s role. Really interested to see how Joe goes as the key big man and not spending time in the ruck. The rest of our forwards have said how early in they year they were all spending time in the middle and were spent when they got back forward. It could quiet easily tire him out. Get him to stay forward and see if he can tear a game apart! Would also love prior back in and Tom Berry’s pressure. Lester in our back 6 makes in stronger with how exposed Payne was at stages last night. Expecting a massive change in pressure on Friday night. Every team this year has been having games where they just don’t turn up. Let’s just not make a habit of it.

It’s all Ken Hinkleys fault
I want fullarton in and get Joe to play hippy’s role. Really interested to see how Joe goes as the key big man and not spending time in the ruck. The rest of our forwards have said how early in they year they were all spending time in the middle and were spent when they got back forward. It could quiet easily tire him out. Get him to stay forward and see if he can tear a game apart! Would also love prior back in and Tom Berry’s pressure. Lester in our back 6 makes in stronger with how exposed Payne was at stages last night. Expecting a massive change in pressure on Friday night. Every team this year has been having games where they just don’t turn up. Let’s just not make a habit of it.

Hipwood has been very good at reading play and pushing up the ground and taking big marks to settle things especially when the heat is on so that’s primarily the void we need to fill IMO. Joe will need to lift big time to substitute the extra one or two goals per game.

I think it will be critical to keep our structure so the closest like for like replacement for Hipwood we have is Oscar.

Give Archie a run against the tigers, they still have nankervis out it might give him belief that he can actually play at the level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back