Preview Changes for the Prelim v Port Adelaide - Sat @7:40

Remove this Banner Ad

i think its simple,
JJ starting replacing Weightman
Martin replacing Young
Young replacing JJ as sub.
Its a Prelim got to be bold, thats the beauty of the sub rule, if hypothetically Martin gets injured, then Young as a rescue option.

I’ll believe Martin is an in when I actually see it, all the commentary from the club has been the opposite. I’m saying that if there was ever a game to risk it, it is this game. Because even if he pulled up sore there is a week off before the grand final.
This.
I think the movement of the bye has made us gun-shy with Big Stef. Time to rip the bandaid off!

I'm guessing I'm not the only one, but every time I think this week is a bridge too far, I keep thinking back to 2016 and I realise then that we're in this up to our eyeballs. Historically speaking, there's usually always at least one Preliminary Final each year that goes down to the wire. Prelim Finals are renowned for being the toughest matches to win, and you can guarantee that every single player who takes the field gives their absolute all.

Despite being +14.5 point underdogs, I take comfort knowing that our best this year has proven to be superior to Port Adelaide's best. I also take comfort knowing that we're going to be tough to beat, purely because I know we have a stack of talent, and also because I am extremely confident that every player who takes the field will be giving it their all.

There are also some similarities when comparing our Semi Final win in 2016 to our Semi Final win this year. The similarities being that in both games, we were +9.5 underdogs, we were behind by 11 points at quarter time, and Jack Macrae had a match high 39 disposals.

There could be some more similarities this week in comparison to what occurred in the 2016 Prelim Final. We're playing an interstate opponent on the road. Our Preliminary Final opponent defeated us the previous time we played each other. In 2016, at the beginning of the week we were +16.5 point underdogs, and by bounce time that grew to +20.5 point underdogs. We're currently +14.5 point underdogs, so that could turn out to be very similar.

This week's Preliminary Final will be the fourth Preliminary Final we have played against an interstate team. In the previous three Preliminary Finals we have played against an interstate team (1997, 1998, 2016), the winner has been the away team.

I've also been reflecting on Port Adelaide's recent Preliminary Final heartaches, in addition to their finals history, and I see similarities to what we have endured.

The first time we made a Grand Final (1954), we were victorious. The first time Port made a Grand Final (2004), they were victorious.
The second time we made a Grand Final (1961), we lost. The second time Port made a Grand Final (2007), they lost.

Between 1985 and 2010, the Bulldogs lost all seven Preliminary Finals they played. Three of them (1985, 1997, 2009) went right down to the wire. While Port Adelaide haven't quite (yet) endured the same Preliminary Final heartache, they COULD be on their way. Their two most recent Preliminary Finals (2014 & 2020) saw them lose by three and six points respectively. We can relate to heartbreaking, narrow Prelim Final losses.

You reckon it's worth bringing Jordon Sweet in and giving him the biggest pre game rev up in history? Go out, hit some bodies. Play a Mumford style game. Could unleash a beast within.
I haven’t actually seen Sweety belt anyone yet, it could be a myth? I certainly would like to. I would be happy to see either Martin or Sweet play, belt Lycett and a few others then jump the fence and finish Kane Kornes and Gary Lyon.

We are not ravaged by injury but our best 22 includes Martin, Weightman, Bruce and 100% fit Bont. That is a big difference and if we had all these going our way I would be confident of beating Port by just playing at our best. So we are now looking to get the job done a different way, smart coaching and planning, limiting the opposition strengths. It can be done but we will need everything to go our way.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I'm not the only one, but every time I think this week is a bridge too far, I keep thinking back to 2016 and I realise then that we're in this up to our eyeballs. Historically speaking, there's usually always at least one Preliminary Final each year that goes down to the wire. Prelim Finals are renowned for being the toughest matches to win, and you can guarantee that every single player who takes the field gives their absolute all.

Despite being +14.5 point underdogs, I take comfort knowing that our best this year has proven to be superior to Port Adelaide's best. I also take comfort knowing that we're going to be tough to beat, purely because I know we have a stack of talent, and also because I am extremely confident that every player who takes the field will be giving it their all.

There are also some similarities when comparing our Semi Final win in 2016 to our Semi Final win this year. The similarities being that in both games, we were +9.5 underdogs, we were behind by 11 points at quarter time, and Jack Macrae had a match high 39 disposals.

There could be some more similarities this week in comparison to what occurred in the 2016 Prelim Final. We're playing an interstate opponent on the road. Our Preliminary Final opponent defeated us the previous time we played each other. In 2016, at the beginning of the week we were +16.5 point underdogs, and by bounce time that grew to +20.5 point underdogs. We're currently +14.5 point underdogs, so that could turn out to be very similar.

This week's Preliminary Final will be the fourth Preliminary Final we have played against an interstate team. In the previous three Preliminary Finals we have played against an interstate team (1997, 1998, 2016), the winner has been the away team.

I've also been reflecting on Port Adelaide's recent Preliminary Final heartaches, in addition to their finals history, and I see similarities to what we have endured.

The first time we made a Grand Final (1954), we were victorious. The first time Port made a Grand Final (2004), they were victorious.
The second time we made a Grand Final (1961), we lost. The second time Port made a Grand Final (2007), they lost.

Between 1985 and 2010, the Bulldogs lost all seven Preliminary Finals they played. Three of them (1985, 1997, 2009) went right down to the wire. While Port Adelaide haven't quite (yet) endured the same Preliminary Final heartache, they COULD be on their way. Their two most recent Preliminary Finals (2014 & 2020) saw them lose by three and six points respectively. We can relate to heartbreaking, narrow Prelim Final losses.

Sometimes the soft Qualifying (Geelong are old and beaten up) and the cushy, comfortable ride through to a Prelim backfires. They're favourites as GWS were, they're playing at home as GWS were, let's do it Dogs.

I think it's amazing that we have made it this far!

I mean we have Lewis Young as our #1 ruck and Schache taking a key post up forward!!!!

Has something actually happened to spark the Stefan Martin talk again? Or is everyone (like me) just very hopeful?

We are not ravaged by injury but our best 22 includes Martin, Weightman, Bruce and 100% fit Bont. That is a big difference and if we had all these going our way I would be confident of beating Port by just playing at our best. So we are now looking to get the job done a different way, smart coaching and planning, limiting the opposition strengths. It can be done but we will need everything to go our way.

Don't think we can underestimate the value of regaining our mojo against Essendon and the hard fought determination of Saturday night. Those wins would have confidence levels through the roof and like 2016 that makes a difference. Port had a soft win and have been on ice for a fortnight. Training isn't the same.

I haven’t actually seen Sweety belt anyone yet, it could be a myth? I certainly would like to. I would be happy to see either Martin or Sweet play, belt Lycett and a few others then jump the fence and finish Kane Kornes and Gary Lyon.

He got a 3-week suspension after his first VFL game.

i think its simple,
JJ starting replacing Weightman
Martin replacing Young
Young replacing JJ as sub.
Its a Prelim got to be bold, thats the beauty of the sub rule, if hypothetically Martin gets injured, then Young as a rescue option.
If indeed, Martin does play and is absolutely cooked by half time, which could be very likely, but is not injured, what do we do then - the old fake an injury trick? We would not want a scenario where we have only 3 on the bench.

I'd pay all his fines just to see this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If indeed, Martin does play and is absolutely cooked by half time, which could be very likely, but is not injured, what do we do then - the old fake an injury trick? We would not want a scenario where we have only 3 on the bench.

'He has groin awareness Doctors have recommended we take him off'

nekt minute

'All good it cleared up'

If he is injured then its no big deal. but cooked? with stints on the bench that wouldn't be an issue.
Would only be three on the bench if another player is injured.
its a risk worth taking.

I totally get the whole underdone talk on Stef.. but is there that big of a difference between Stef playing 53% game time underdone and Young playing the same %?
I do agree. If we're benching Young that much then I'd prefer Stef. However, one thing to consider is that Brisbane were one down on the bench which might have allowed us to bench Young a bit more than normal.

ala the Collingwood reserves player John Burke
"ohh you gotta take the boy off, goes over the fence and gives Cornes and Lyon one each" whoo his give them one too, his done well.

I do agree. If we're benching Young that much then I'd prefer Stef. However, one thing to consider is that Brisbane were one down on the bench which might have allowed us to bench Young a bit more than normal.
I think that’s a big difference. Leaving Young on the bench in the last quarter didn’t put us at a disadvantage as the Lions were already a man down.

If we play Stef and have Young as sub then it leaves us with a nightmare scenario if we lose a smaller player in the first half. We’d have both Stef & Young to deal with and potentially a hindered Bont against a quick and healthy Port side.

A couple of interesting bits of information I picked up from the Telstra tracker.
- I've never though of Roarke as quick, but he had the 5th highest average moving speed during the game.
- Gardner covered 15.3km during the game which is good for the 4th highest. For someone who barely gets the ball, that's an enormous amount of ground to cover.
- Treloar had the 4th highest average moving speed. He looked awful around the ball but this suggests he was still working very hard when he was on.
- Hannan & VDM both clearly had the most sprint efforts for the match. It's pretty clear why they're both in the side despite not having huge output.
Been meaning to post the same for a few days but forgot. Very interesting, was surprised by all the ones you've highlighted when I saw it.

Problem with this game is, port are in form and don’t really have any weaknesses. Full strength we have the talent advantage and the better strengths but we are kinda limping.

I’m just proud we get to see our boys have a dip at them

I think that’s a big difference. Leaving Young on the bench in the last quarter didn’t put us at a disadvantage as the Lions were already a man down.

If we play Stef and have Young as sub then it leaves us with a nightmare scenario if we lose a smaller player in the first half. We’d have both Stef & Young to deal with and potentially a hindered Bont against a quick and healthy Port side.
Yep, this is what I went over in an earlier post.
If Bont is going to play more forward, I'd move Schache to the sub as he can cover any position really, even running ones as well as tall posts. Bont takes his 3rd tall role.
If Bont is still going to play midfield minutes, then I'd keep Schache in the side but still select a small as the sub for the extra run.
I know Martin is a bit of a risk but having Young as the sub is pretty dire if we lose a small player. Just have to back in Martin to run out the majority of the game if we pick him.
Young as sub only works in one scenario - if Martin goes down early, otherwise it's a loss.
Having a runner as the sub works in every other scenario, so that's what I would go with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back