List Mgmt. 2021 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is worth a shot. I liked him as a junior.

Ultimate in betweener, no thanks.

Not good enough as a forward, who on earth knows as a defender, not good enough as a ruck, and not fast or good enough to be a mid

Yeah agreed re: the trade game and PR. I don't think there's anything wrong with Dawson asking for a good deal for the next 2 years i.e. being rewarded for being one of our best, but also can understand if $$ was a factor, that we just couldn't afford it, or that we just wanted him to commit to longer. Either way, I don't think either can be blamed for the outcome. It sucks, but can understand both parties stances.
Totally, no one (rational) is begrudging of a player trying to maximise their earning potential in a very short window. Most of us are just filthy at the poor public statement that he put out earlier in the year giving us false hope. Now knowing that his departure seemed inevitable, I do find it much easier to reconcile though. He's in the past and I can't wait til we flog 'em now :)

Totally, no one (rational) is begrudging of a player trying to maximise their earning potential in a very short window. Most of us are just filthy at the poor public statement that he put out earlier in the year giving us false hope. Now knowing that his departure seemed inevitable, I do find it much easier to reconcile though. He's in the past and I can't wait til we flog 'em now :)
Yeah, but if he was leaning towards staying, even if only for 2 years initially (which he might have been pretty confident would be accepted by the club), then that mid year statement makes sense (and wasn't false hope at the time). There are just zero facts that lead to him having lied to us, betrayed us or being a Judas. Always up for flogging the Crows. I'd have liked to see Hewett go to him next year and tag him into oblivion, but well... maybe one for Hayward.

Yeah, but if he was leaning towards staying, even if only for 2 years initially (which he might have been pretty confident would be accepted by the club), then that mid year statement makes sense (and wasn't false hope at the time). There are just zero facts that lead to him having lied to us, betrayed us or being a Judas. Always up for flogging the Crows. I'd have liked to see Hewett go to him next year and tag him into oblivion, but well... maybe one for Hayward.
I'm struggling here, are you disputing something I've suggested because I feel like we're almost on the same page but we aren't quite in sync. The fact of the matter is that it wasn't a done deal in July and Dawson never should have said a word to suggest that it was to the public until he signed the dotted line. No lies, no deceit or betrayal just poor judgment on his part. If he had his time again, I'm sure he'd probably do it differently just to save himself the abuse that he copped on social media.

I would love to trade our first and melbournes first for a top 8 pick
OK. So you forget that this draft holds fairly little for us but next year's is big. We have three top quality Academy boys in the wings just waiting to turn 18. In the same quality as Gulden and Campbell. The difference being they are more diverse. One is a medium high marking forward, the next Cappa, the second a highly talented ruck prospect and the third a utility, wing, HB, hf, inside mid. Apparently the Nicholls kid, utility, is supposed to be super fast

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Dawson’s manager put a 2 year deal to us and we said no?
You do not know the conditions of that two year deal or for how much. Adelaide offered 4 years at 650,000. If the 2 year deal came after that it would have been for 700,000/season.

The other thing is Horse talked to Dawson. If he was set on leaving it would not have mattered what we offered he was gone

I'm struggling here, are you disputing something I've suggested because I feel like we're almost on the same page but we aren't quite in sync. The fact of the matter is that it wasn't a done deal in July and Dawson never should have said a word to suggest that it was to the public until he signed the dotted line. No lies, no deceit or betrayal just poor judgment on his part. If he had his time again, I'm sure he'd probably do it differently just to save himself the abuse that he copped on social media.
I'm disputing that it was a 'poor public statement' in July, when he was asked specifically about it. If he was intending to stay for 2 years (or was just thinking he'd stay regardless) and thought that deal would be accepted, it makes sense why he would say this. Where people are criticising him, I ask what else he could have done? Say in July that "we'll just let it play out" or "no comment", would have made the media speculate even more, or in the final weeks of the season where the club's probably knocked back the 2 years and/or he was closer to deciding to leave, he should publicly (or privately) state that and risk derailing the club? I'm not expecting anyone to really answer, and I get the frustration, but probably not much more he could do.

Correct. I think we had no money for the next 2 years and offered him a 5 year deal with a big back end to compensate. At the end of the day if he wanted what we didn't have then it was never going to happen.
Why would we not have the money in the second year. Buddy's contract expires at the end of 2022? That will put another $1million in the budget. Kennedy retires at the end of next year too. He has taken a 1 year deal which sounds to me as though he will hang the boots up after next year. They is another $650,000 off. His contract was for $800,000 before the 1 year dwsl so I am assuming it dropped between 150 & 200 thou. Even with 10% off he was $800,000.

That leaves at least 1.5 million extra in 2023.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not into drafting a KPD, throw some cash at Moore/Barras next year. Both are free agents.

IMO, draft a few riskier prospects, we've got quite a few kids coming through and can handle losing a few drafts.

Oh gosh, Goater's highlights are a little bit sus. Half of them have him just completely wasting the ball. I would only take him if we were also bringing in Zac Taylor.

You can't be a player if you can't kick.

I'm not into drafting a KPD, throw some cash at Moore/Barras next year. Both are free agents.

IMO, draft a few riskier prospects, we've got quite a few kids coming through and can handle losing a few drafts.

Within reason. Don’t reach in the first round.

Oh gosh, Goater's highlights are a little bit sus. Half of them have him just completely wasting the ball. I would only take him if we were also bringing in Zac Taylor.

Yep for me he’s not the player for us if we want to be a kicking side

I remember looking at Gary Rohan's highlights on youtube just before we drafted him and I did not want him as half his disposals seemed to go directly to the opposition. Oddly enough for all his issues his disposal efficiency at an AFL level wasn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back