The Ashes. Fifth Test Australia v England @ Blundstone Arena, Hobart, 14-18 January 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

No point pottering around on this pitch. Sooner or later (probably sooner), you’re going to get an unplayable one with your name on it. Best to hit out hard if presented with anything loose at all. At this stage 150 will be a good score.

It's seaming. There should be movement on day 1

I also prefer test cricket when the bowler has the advantage. I don't think this is too far in that direction, the batsmen will just need to be patient
Some people love to go on about how batsmen make "easy" runs on flatter decks but shouldn't bowlers be made to work harder for their wickets too?

Type of pitch where a 50 will be as good as a century. Wonder if and when it will be better for batting?

It's good watching and good to see bowlers getting the better of it for a change. They bowl on so many roads these days it's nice to see them get a good average improver.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

It's seaming. There should be movement on day 1

I also prefer test cricket when the bowler has the advantage. I don't think this is too far in that direction, the batsmen will just need to be patient
Fair enough. I suppose we can frame it as good practice for foreign conditions.

But we shouldn't be producing pitches like these in our own backyard. Considering we're notoriously poor at playing on them.

Starc will swing the ball, but I think someone like Neser (assuming Richardson wasn't fully fit) would be more likely to do more damage, because Starc is inconsistent whereas you can pretty much rely on Neser to put the ball on the spot and let the pitch/conditions do the rest. It's like an English country cricket pitch, only possibly more exaggerated.

Richo is fit didn't get picked due to the boys club

“Roads are so boring, put some life in the pitch” is all we ever hear now people are complaining 😂 it’s probably a bit over the the top, especially for a night test - this would be awesome as a red ball test. But fu** just enjoy it, any runs made today are worth their weight in gold. Gonna be brilliant to watch. Let’s go aussies dig in and bat it out, runs will come.
"Some" life in the pitch.

Great opportunity for Head, had an okay enough series but a score here in these conditions could be the making of him. Step up when we are really down and it’s will be worth more than any of his other innings so far.
What's a score though On this pitch? Anything above 35?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s with the complaining about the pitch? For the last 15 years we have had to put up with roads as pitches.
It is doing what it should do on the first day of a test, favour the quicks.
Batsman need to tough it out and they will enjoy their time as the game goes on.
Is it actually too much to ask for batsman to guys it out these days? The bowlers have had to guts it out all over the world for years and years trying to bowl on roads. Where were the complaints for the poor old bowlers then?
Good test match pitch, let’s find out who the real good players are now.

“Roads are so boring, put some life in the pitch” is all we ever hear now people are complaining 😂 it’s probably a bit over the the top, especially for a night test - this would be awesome as a red ball test. But fu** just enjoy it, any runs made today are worth their weight in gold. Gonna be brilliant to watch. Let’s go aussies dig in and bat it out, runs will come.
Couldn’t agree more. Couldn’t imagine anything worse than batting on a road and the test match being over in day 1. If Aussies are struggling Poms will as well

This pitch is no more extreme than the roads we used to see that you could waltz your way to 5/650 and declare, ending in a draw, just the other direction.

Yes, it's more extreme than you would want, but if you want a variety of pitches that overall strike a balance between bat and ball, then you're going to occasionally get an anomaly like this, in either direction.

Fair enough. I suppose we can frame it as good practice for foreign conditions.

But we shouldn't be producing pitches like these in our own backyard. Considering we're notoriously poor at playing on them.
If anything, we need more green pitches. This one might be a bit much for a D/N test (would be great if it was a red ball test) but the one in Melbourne was fine, and we did it well enough (not counting for a diabolical English side). If we're going to win a series in England, these are the pitches we need to perform on.

What’s with the complaining about the pitch? For the last 15 years we have had to put up with roads as pitches.
It is doing what it should do on the first day of a test, favour the quicks.
Batsman need to tough it out and they will enjoy their time as the game goes on.
Is it actually too much to ask for batsman to guys it out these days? The bowlers have had to guts it out all over the world for years and years trying to bowl on roads. Where were the complaints for the poor old bowlers then?
Good test match pitch, let’s find out who the real good players are now.
Doing way too much for a pitch.
Australia could be 5 or 6 down already.
The Poms would be in the same boat if they were batting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back