The Ashes. Fifth Test Australia v England @ Blundstone Arena, Hobart, 14-18 January 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Braithwaite has been a major disappointment, and I had expected more from Chase and Hope but they haven’t gone on with it. It will never happen but I’d love to see what Pollard could do coming in at 5 and captaining the team.

Totally agree. Brathwaite was bordering on 40 with his average after that famous Headingley win and for a time was probably Warner’s partner in a world XI

Chase looked a real likely type. Made tough runs, made an away century in India, made a century while Shannon Gabriel famously threw away a draw at the other end. Then suddenly forgot how to bat.

I would love a guy like Pollard to be given a free pass into the test side as well.

Look that is a fair point but the people who followed cricket at that stage were also vastly different in their conditioning - they grew up in an era where there were barely any alternatives. Waugh was certainly a great player no argument there but he was lucky in that there was simply nobody better to knock him out of the equation
Yes that is fair, and basically the Australian team was basically the test and ODI team, he bowled in those days and scored freely in ODI's.
Was instrumental in the 1987 WC win. Would score many high half century in both forms but just couldn't crack it for the ton.

With Border, about the only thing going for the Aussie team in those days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back