No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently because of how bad he got hit by the first, side affects.

If anything it should be a warning about how bad the actual disease may be...

It’s bewildering that the AFL allows Hird back in an official, payed role within the AFL again

Gil sneaks him back in via GWS because no-one will care. Then when he goes to Essendon in 2 years and the media decides to make a fuss he says "But you cant complain. He's been here 2 years !!"

The likelihood that Hird has completed all the courses the AFL made compulsory after his stint as coach is about the same as the likelihood that Jobe's Brownlow is actually held by the AFL and not at Jobe's house.

Ouch. Probably their only decent young player. Not a good start to 2022.

Does anyone know of any good services/sites for watching AFL replays?
Kayo has some of the worst framerates I've ever seen from a professional service.

Kayo has some of the worst framerates I've ever seen from a professional service.
The AFL site has all games.

Can watch full game replays (quarter by quarter) via the AFL Live mobile app and then cast from your device to your TV. Quality looks to be 720p 30fps. I fired up a 2021 Hawks game to test and it only buffered a little at the start but it's been good for something that's free. YMMV

The AFL site has all games.
Can watch full game replays (quarter by quarter) via the AFL Live mobile app and then cast from your device to your TV. Quality looks to be 720p 30fps. I fired up a 2021 Hawks game to test and it only buffered a little at the start but it's been good for something that's free. YMMV
Game changer, thanks guys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would argue that the AFLPA have a much bigger part to play than perhaps what they have to date.

Brants post outlines what I thought they would be doing, but perhaps it’s not enough, or in this instance was unwanted.

Hard to know the specifics of who tried to help and what the issue was, but I hope the AFL and AFLPA are having some honest conversations about what happens to these kids when they get chewed up and spat out like this.
Would add that any program or support can only reduce not completely eliminate the risk.

Not intending to diminish the sadness of this event.

4 - 0
Ned Ryerson

What were you so worried about???

#ashes

Batting collapses like those we saw in both innings in Hobart - particularly as the day night test demonstrated once again how woeful we are against swing bowling. Love the 4-0 result but the batting line up is still problematic and too often reliant on one or two players crushing it rather than the entire top order contributing. Our pace bowlers are the best in the world thank goodness.

Great series result - but let’s focus on backing it up and figuring a way to play swing bowling before 2023.

Batting collapses like those we saw in both innings in Hobart - particularly as the day night test demonstrated once again how woeful we are against swing bowling. Love the 4-0 result but the batting line up is still problematic and too often reliant on one or two players crushing it rather than the entire top order contributing. Our pace bowlers are the best in the world thank goodness.

Great series result - but let’s focus on backing it up and figuring a way to play swing bowling before 2023.
I think consistency is the key. I think all the batsmen actually performed to some degree - Head, Kawaja, Green all stood up. It was a quieter series by Smith/Warner/Labuschagne by their standards. But let's see whether the "lesser lights" are able to back it up.

Agree on the pace bowlers. Will be interested to see how Lyon et al. go in the sub-continent. Lyon didn't even bowl in Hobart.

Other then Harris, who didn't contribute over the course of the series?

I think consistency is the key. I think all the batsmen actually performed to some degree - Head, Kawaja, Green all stood up. It was a quieter series by Smith/Warner/Labuschagne by their standards. But let's see whether the "lesser lights" are able to back it up.

Agree on the pace bowlers. Will be interested to see how Lyon et al. go in the sub-continent. Lyon didn't even bowl in Hobart.

In a metaphorical sense Lyon was unplayable in this test! Not from an opposing batsmen's perspective but determined by the conditions of the pitch that simply did not require him to bowl. It's a rare occurrence where a designated bowler, without injury, does not participate in a Test - notwithstanding Lyon hitting a few 6's and catching Stokes out twice...

Other then Harris, who didn't contribute over the course of the series?

My point has been that we never get a consistent effort from our batters as a whole. There’s too often a collapse somewhere there and it’s then 1 or 2 batters who put together a good partnership to rescue the innings along with some cameos from the tail. When the wicket was too green or had movement (second innings in Adelaide, only innings at the MCG and Hobart overall) we were vulnerable. England’s attack was reliant on two blokes on the wrong side of 35 and when the conditions favoured the bowlers they had us in all sorts.

I love nothing more than beating England - and the development Head, Green and Carey is promising and has us better placed than after the dismal failure of last summer. This year sees us playing 7 tests on the subcontinent - so I’m holding fire on my expectations on the side until I see how we fare in those. If we don’t get embarrassed and then beat South Africa here next summer I’ll be pretty content that we may have a shot at beating England in England for the first time in a long time - but our frailty against swing bowling still has me concerned.

My point has been that we never get a consistent effort from our batters as a whole. There’s too often a collapse somewhere there and it’s then 1 or 2 batters who put together a good partnership to rescue the innings along with some cameos from the tail. When the wicket was too green or had movement (second innings in Adelaide, only innings at the MCG and Hobart overall) we were vulnerable. England’s attack was reliant on two blokes on the wrong side of 35 and when the conditions favoured the bowlers they had us in all sorts.

I love nothing more than beating England - and the development Head, Green and Carey is promising and has us better placed than after the dismal failure of last summer. This year sees us playing 7 tests on the subcontinent - so I’m holding fire on my expectations on the side until I see how we fare in those. If we don’t get embarrassed and then beat South Africa here next summer I’ll be pretty content that we may have a shot at beating England in England for the first time in a long time - but our frailty against swing bowling still has me concerned.
How many innings did England out score us? These were all seamer friendly wickets, hence only four players even scored a ton all series. Most pitchers were hard to start on hence we saw quick wickets once one fell.

Three of the ton scorers were Australians. We had five of the top six run scorers in the series plus green and starc averaged over 30 as all rounders. Even Harris contributed regular starts before throwing his wicket away.

Yeah I certainly wasn't trying to make the case that we were actually any good* - simply that we were never going to be under any threat from that England team (& we weren't).

*That bowling line-up is extremely good & that's without Hazelwood for the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back