Cricket Thread: Bring on the Kiwis

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I like Kelly as he is a bit hitter so I would leave him there given the team is winning.

It's tough for Kelly as he is batting at seven and I thought he probably did his job last night. He hit 16 of 13 and only got out on the second last ball.
Agreed and Weatherald has already been found wanting coming in later in the innings.

Kelly is also a superior infielder and outfielder with a rocket arm.

The Strikers, who continue to be captained by Siddle despite the return of Test stars Travis Head and Alex Carey, have won six games in a row.

Ok it’s true. I assumed with Head and and Carey back Siddle would step aside. Website still says Head captain but Siddle acting captain
No, Siddle was & is definitely the captain & was making the calls.

Head was offering support & no doubt Siddle would have taken his advice on board, but Head was not captain last night.

Last edited:
Agreed and Weatherald has already been found wanting coming in later in the innings.

Kelly is also a superior infielder and outfielder with a rocket arm.
my post was about finding a place in the side for a player of Weatherald's ability and experience, not knocking Kelly. Weatherald was timing the ball well early in the season, his dismissals due to poor shot selection. would be a big call, but if he's hitting it well in the nets and clicks on the night Weatherald is capable of an innings that could be the difference. add to that the possibility of a batting collapse, know who I would rather have in such a pressure situation

Last edited:
I said the BBL, not just that game. Learn to read.
True. The rest of the series has been played on bright summer afternoons, with home crowds easily able to skip across the river to see games in comfort.

my post was about finding a place in the side for a player of Weatherald's ability and experience, not knocking Kelly. Weatherald was timing the ball well early in the season, his dismissals due to poor shot selection. would be a big call, but if he's hitting it well in the nets and clicks on the night Weatherald is capable of an innings that could be the difference. add to that the possibility of a batting collapse, know who I would rather have in such a pressure situation
Kelly has many times come in this year after/during a batting collapse & handled himself well so not sure why you think he can't handle pressure.

Compare their respective batting records this season.

Just on Kelly, its actually really odd they're picking him at 7, because his brother is the better lower order batsman in t20. Tom Kelly is a top order batsman, probably plays Wells role going forward, his brother Corey is a better lower order batsman as he's a bigger hitter and he bowls. They've basically selected Tom to play Corey's role despite the fact Corey can also bowl some handy overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've actually noticed Kelly has a rather weak throwing arm.

I did think the same thing, I did wonder if it's because they are trying to bounce the ball on the way back to scuff up the ball? At times alot of the outfielders look to have week arms.

I could be very wrong and he just has a bad arm.

Phillipe is out tonight with Covid.

Sydney people having a real hard time understanding the difference between Head / Carey being allowed to play and not Steve Smith.
6'ers should have named Smith in their squad on a minimum wage.

We struggled most of the season as we had our 2 best squad members missing.

Big out for them. Who is their backup keeper?

6'ers should have named Smith in their squad on a minimum wage.

We struggled most of the season as we had our 2 best squad members missing.

Big out for them. Who is their backup keeper?

I haven't followed the Steve Smith situation.

Did Sydney just think they could get away with adding him later, if needed?

If he was part of the squad (salary cap) there would have been no issues.

Seems like something the AFC would do and we'd all be here saying wtf didn't we have him in the squad.

I haven't followed the Steve Smith situation.

Did Sydney just think they could get away with adding him later, if needed?

If he was part of the squad (salary cap) there would have been no issues.

Seems like something the AFC would do and we'd all be here saying wtf didn't we have him in the squad.

There was meant to be an Aussie one day series on now so he wouldn't be available for the whole tournament

I think the volatile Covid fixture challenges will force a rule change from now on and teams will be able to retain Australian players on an "inactive" list - but can be activated if/when international scheduling changes.

There was meant to be an Aussie one day series on now so he wouldn't be available for the whole tournament

I think the volatile Covid fixture challenges will force a rule change from now on and teams will be able to retain Australian players on an "inactive" list - but can be activated if/when international scheduling changes.

It was only Steve Smith out of all the Australian players who was not put on a BBL playing list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back