Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not writing them off until they are guaranteed to miss finals or get ravaged by LTI's in the first few rounds.
Yes, I'm cautiously optimistic though haha. I just thought that article reeked of a coach who's doubling down on arrogant stubbornness. He's throwing caution to the wind, because he knows he'll be gone if things don't eventuate as planned, so why bother being humble in his estimations!

Yes, I'm cautiously optimistic though haha. I just thought that article reeked of a coach who's doubling down on arrogant stubbornness. He's throwing caution to the wind, because he knows he'll be gone if things don't eventuate as planned, so why bother being humble in his estimations!

This !

The time is right for us to move up the ladder and beating WC a couple of times a year is a massive step towards achieving that.

On the corporate side of things I doubt we ever catch them.

Yeah unlikely Freo will catch West Coast corporate wise.

West coast do have a more national brand as well then Fremantle.

One of the local rep teams in footy growing up in western sydney were called the East Coast Eagles they still exist and were essentially are feeder to west coast in sydney. West coast agreed to let their licence be used back in 1999.

So there you have the Eagles brand in western sydney and also who are one of the teams in NEAFL.

It also could be the WA people who move interstate and are west coast fans due to having a bigger slice of the perth market.

The time is right for us to move up the ladder and beating WC a couple of times a year is a massive step towards achieving that.

On the corporate side of things I doubt we ever catch them.
More of a Leigh Mathew’s vibe, if it bleeds we can kill it.
We have seen basket case clubs do the impossible. Let’s not be the next St Kilda.

Yeah unlikely Freo will catch West Coast corporate wise.

West coast do have a more national brand as well then Fremantle.

One of the local rep teams in footy growing up in western sydney were called the East Coast Eagles they still exist and were essentially are feeder to west coast in sydney. West coast agreed to let their licence be used back in 1999.

So there you have the Eagles brand in western sydney and also who are one of the teams in NEAFL.

It also could be the WA people who move interstate and are west coast fans due to having a bigger slice of the perth market.
I have to say it's really refreshing living in country Queensland where if you do talk to people about footy they are not the rabid Freo or West Coast type supporters. In Perth if you say you support Freo it's either a huge thumbs up (from the smart people) or a mouthful of ridicule and abuse from the cretins.

I have spoken to several people here and when you say you support Freo it's just another one of 18 teams, not one of two possibles like WA. And contrary to your experience, I find most people over here are generally quite supportive / sympathetic towards Freo. I'm sure I'll bump into some Eagles fans at some stage, but we are generally trying to avoid the trailer parks and budget motels.

I have to say it's really refreshing living in country Queensland where if you do talk to people about footy they are not the rabid Freo or West Coast type supporters. In Perth if you say you support Freo it's either a huge thumbs up (from the smart people) or a mouthful of ridicule and abuse from the cretins.

I have spoken to several people here and when you say you support Freo it's just another one of 18 teams, not one of two possibles like WA. And contrary to your experience, I find most people over here are generally quite supportive / sympathetic towards Freo. I'm sure I'll bump into some Eagles fans at some stage, but we are generally trying to avoid the trailer parks and budget motels.

Yeah i wouldn't say Freo are hated or anything in Sydney. They just fly under the radar no one really knows too much about them or get mentioned that much unless you are a hardcore AFL fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta say, whilst meeting Eagles supporters is painful, meeting truly nuffy Dockers supporters in the wild can be just as bad.

"J-Lo is useless, they should re-hire Mark Harvey"
"Fyfe isn't even all that good"
"Pav always choked infront of goal"

It's a different type of nuff.

West Coast nuffs follow their team obseessively and think they are the best AFL players in the history of the game, to the point that they don't even bother learning the names of the players that play for the other teams

Freo nuffs just follow their team obsessively and think they are the worst AFL players in the history of the game

Yeah i wouldn't say Freo are hated or anything in Sydney. They just fly under the radar no one really knows too much about them or get mentioned that much unless you are a hardcore AFL fan.
Things get a bit tribal here in Bali with peeps getting around in their cheapo not-club merchandise and a belly full of Bintang.

It's a different type of nuff.

West Coast nuffs follow their team obseessively and think they are the best AFL players in the history of the game, to the point that they don't even bother learning the names of the players that play for the other teams

Freo nuffs just follow their team obsessively and think they are the worst AFL players in the history of the game

The loudest mouth ones don’t even know their own players. I remember having to visit my ex wife’s family & the house was full of Eagles tat & they all wore club merch. I would try to have a yarn with them about footy & they wouldn’t even know who I was talking about beyond Cuzzie & Judd.
Xmas 2008 I was asking them if they were excited about the kid Naitanui they drafted because I’d seen him playing at Swans & they all just shrugged & said who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m sure it’s probably perspective bias but I swear that there is a direct link between arrogant people and Eagles supporters .
Test my theory :
Whenever you see an extreme act of arrogance ( overtaking in dangerous situations, stealing your car park , washing their car / boat during water restrictions, being loud obnoxious and rude …… etc,etc)
Have a look for the yellow and blue, you’ll be amazed how often it appears .

I’m sure it’s probably perspective bias but I swear that there is a direct link between arrogant people and Eagles supporters .
Test my theory :
Whenever you see an extreme act of arrogance ( overtaking in dangerous situations, stealing your car park , washing their car / boat during water restrictions, being loud obnoxious and rude …… etc,etc)

I've tried that theory with Poms and it rings true also. Superiority complex.

Test my theory :
Yep, and you can clearly see the correlation when you put it into a simple graphic...

1644277579698.png

That sort of broad community support is enjoyed by the likes of West Coast, Subiaco, Perth Scorchers but it does come with a stinger.

... when the turn comes to not be successful the bandwagon goes off the cliff like the train in Back to the Future III.

The Eagles know it too. The best time for us to be winning 14 to 17 games a year is not when West Coast are winning 14 to 17 games a year, it's when they are winning 3 to 7. Their enormous cloud of fringe fans become "supporters of WA football" and our home game attendance swells by 15,000 a game.... somehow.

We need to win more games, that's a given, but if West Coast are going to be rebuilding, we need to win them more. We need at least three good years in the top six while they are in the bottom six.

The first year, that dude shows up to the Fremantle/Melbourne Prelim party in his West Coast polo.
The second year, that guy shows up to the Fremantle/Carlton qualifying final party in a regular top.
That third year, that man walks into the Fremantle/Swans grand final wearing a Fremantle scarf.

We won all three of those games by the way.

Feel a bit for Jed Anderson, apparently had a really bad reaction to the first dose. Different to the anti vaxx bullshit of Darling.

It seems Simon Goodwin was close to getting the sack as Melbourne head coach early in 2021 if the report in todays Worst is true??

The article by Michael Warner is slightly convoluted but the gist of it seems to be that Goodwin had to have a minder go with him on a trip to Las Vegas according to a whistle blower (the ex club doctor) It was also alleged he was bullying staff etc.

Goodwin stayed and the whistle blowing doctor and then President Glen Bartlett were shown the door. Interesting if true.

Feel a bit for Jed Anderson, apparently had a really bad reaction to the first dose. Different to the anti vaxx bullshit of Darling.
A serious adverse reaction allows for a legit medical exemption. So if it's true, he shouldn't have an issue.

It seems Simon Goodwin was close to getting the sack as Melbourne head coach early in 2021 if the report in todays Worst is true??

The article by Michael Warner is slightly convoluted but the gist of it seems to be that Goodwin had to have a minder go with him on a trip to Las Vegas according to a whistle blower (the ex club doctor) It was also alleged he was bullying staff etc.

Goodwin stayed and the whistle blowing doctor and then President Glen Bartlett were shown the door. Interesting if true.
There is a rumour thread on this on bigfooty, on the scandal and rumours board where the person bringing this up was hammered for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back