Review Training standards / skills and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is something wrong with our training? Our intensity, how hard we go, skills training, is our program old?

We’ve had players like Nick Dal Santo claiming he was shocked to see how little we trained on skills etc and how low the intensity was in comparison to the Saints.

When Ben brown left, he was shocked how hard Melb train in comparison to us.

We have had rumours that we never had a skills program or any plan to train skills under Brad Scott. That seems that like hasn’t changed much or has it?

Our skills has been putrid for a long time now. Even if we get a player with a lethal kick it seems like we train it out of them (Lmac etc). I believe we have the right staff and new coaches around us (perhaps) but something is a miss when it comes to our training for sure. It’s going to impact our development also if we don’t get this right.

I’ve gone about the injury management and conditioning at our club is some of the worst we’ve seen, but again, I believe that all fits into the way we train as well!

Last edited:
Hard to say re preseason as covid did hit us hard. But have to agree with opening post in general.

It's easy for others to have chip at us when they leave but have definitely heard this before. I don't get to training so hard for me to assess but some credible folk are questioning.

There are rumours around too re communication. Have been for a couple of weeks suggesting Noble hasn't got all the players onside and that many don't support the game plan. I must say I have some contacts within the club including a player or two and those sources reckon the rumours re comms problems aren't true. But they continue to come.

Let's face it - when you are getting pantsed regularly like we are rumours of discontent will abound. Hopefully they are not true. Amazing how these types of rumours die off when you win.

As the thread title states, is something wrong with our training? Our intensity, how hard we go, skills training, is our program old?

We’ve had players like Nick Dal Santo claiming he was shocked to see how little we trained on skills etc and how low the intensity was in comparison to the Saints.

When Ben brown left, he was shocked how hard Melb train in comparison to us.

We have had rumours that we never had a skills program or any plan to train skills under Brad Scott. That seems that like hasn’t changed much or has it?

Our skills has been putrid for a long time now. Even if we get a player with a lethal kick it seems like we train it out of them (Lmac etc). I believe we have the right staff and new coaches around us (perhaps) but something is a miss when it comes to our training for sure. It’s going to impact our development also if we don’t get this right.

I’ve gone about the injury management and conditioning at our club is some of the worst we’ve seen, but again, I believe that all fits into the way we train as well!
You also went on to state that the thread you started may have lead the club to overhauling the S & C dept.

The S & C improvements will take a year or two to bear fruit, particularly when it was coming from a long way back. Throw in a senior bunch that aren't exactly elite across the board and a heap of young talent adjusting to the game it's going to lead to skill errors. Much of them because we aren't fit enough and that leads to increased pressure when we have the pill. Then turnovers. We aren't fit enough, it will take time.

Has anyone gone to training?
All the videos the club post we are either stuffing around or going at half intensity. This might just be a coincidence, but I’ve never seen us going flat sticks in any sort of social posts etc.
Ive queried this for a while......sides like the Braves and Swans etc flick the ball round at absolute pace. We rarely do this in games.
We also rarely have that quick overlap runner flying past after a mark or free, taking advantage of the stand rule.
What are we doing at training? I’d seriously love to know from track watchers. Something ain’t right with our skill set

You also went on to state that the thread you started may have lead the club to overhauling the S & C dept.

The S & C improvements will take a year or two to bear fruit, particularly when it was coming from a long way back. Throw in a senior bunch that aren't exactly elite across the board and a heap of young talent adjusting to the game it's going to lead to skill errors. Much of them because we aren't fit enough and that leads to increased pressure when we have the pill. Then turnovers. We aren't fit enough, it will take time.

You’ve got to give people a chance to do their job. We’ve completely overhauled the S&C department at the start of this preseason. I suspect it’s going to take a bit of time.

We certainly seemed to work the players pretty hard from what I saw in the pre season.
NMFC player development has been poor for close on ten years. I can only think of three players recruited in that period that have reached 100 games with North. Maybe it is time for a change. We seem to recruit highly regarded juniors but their rate of improvement is way behind clubs like the Swans, Hawthorn, Adelaide etc

NMFC player development has been poor for close on ten years. I can only think of three players recruited in that period that have reached 100 games with North. Maybe it is time for a change. We seem to recruit highly regarded juniors but their rate of improvement is way behind clubs like the Swans, Hawthorn, Adelaide etc

We just changed end of last season.

Seems to me too often that these skills can't be executed under pressure for the past decade

Seems to me too often we run out of gas in games for the past decade

Seems to me too often we come out at the start of seasons and playing catch up with opponents for the past decade

And this is the third coach we've had in this time so what the * is going on? Are players just plodding here to pick up their payments which is why they're so reactive and only play well after we've had a horrible game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely we're well aware of what other clubs are doing, at least in general. Apart from scouts theres too much coaching turnover not to know.
Correct, it’s an incestuous business. There would be little to no secrets in regards to skills and training. So it’s even more puzzling that we are so far behind every other team

I can think of 3 blokes, off top of my head, who were absolute outstanding kicks of the ball when they came to North, only to end up soft non gut-running blokes without the ability to use their natural ability.
BreadMac, TomMurphy and Ahern.
We have virtually no one, apart from Hall, who can kick the ball as a low dart over 50-60. Even Cunners not a massive roost of the ball.
We haven’t drafted blokes with outstanding kicking efficiency, so it’s no surprise our standards are pretty poor. There‘s no one setting high standards with ball use.

We certainly seemed to work the players pretty hard from what I saw in the pre season.
Spot on P-Man. This preseason was very different to previous ones I’ve seen. The running drills that the new S&C guy from Collingwood (forget his name) implemented, were something else. Looked like pure hell. I imagine it’ll take more then one preseason for us to see the true effects.

Can’t knock the clubs focus on S&C this preseason. For the first time ever, they’ve invested in it.

Unfortunately we will suffer for the past mistakes for a while. Someone more qualified will be able to suggest how long that may be.

I can think of 3 blokes, off top of my head, who were absolute outstanding kicks of the ball when they came to North, only to end up soft non gut-running blokes without the ability to use their natural ability.
BreadMac, TomMurphy and Ahern.
We have virtually no one, apart from Hall, who can kick the ball as a low dart over 50-60. Even Cunners not a massive roost of the ball.
We haven’t drafted blokes with outstanding kicking efficiency, so it’s no surprise our standards are pretty poor. There‘s no one setting high standards with ball use.

I reckon they may have arrived that way.

Spot on P-Man. This preseason was very different to previous ones I’ve seen. The running drills that the new S&C guy from Collingwood (forget his name) implemented, were something else. Looked like pure hell. I imagine it’ll take more then one preseason for us to see the true effects.

Can’t knock the clubs focus on S&C this preseason. For the first time ever, they’ve invested in it.

Unfortunately we will suffer for the past mistakes for a while. Someone more qualified will be able to suggest how long that may be.

The acurate one you were suggesting 3 of the best, Old Boy ?

Yeah, it’s a s**t sandwich, but you can either feel sorry for yourself in our current state, or get cracking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back