Autopsy Roast and toast vs Hawthorn and changes for Essendon

Best vs Hawks

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to get a win again. Dion Prestia & Toby drove the win with 16 clearances between them & as i have said before, our fate will almost entirely be driven on how well we can compete in that area. In games like today where the opponent field an entire Ruck, Followers, midfield & wings of kids - we should always win easily. This week was another example as well that no team has relied on its 1 superstar more than we have with Dusty. The guy was a gift from god.

The goals we leaked to nearly lose it at the end were a definite downer to the game & overall, much like last week - it was a game we should definitely be winning without any trouble - the Hawks had ELEVEN players 23 or under to our 3, including their entire midfield fleet. That along with them losing Gunston early in the game - we really should have won by far, far more.

Each week we see the dual forward role of Jack & Tom is our best option, they are in fine form together. Our fate is still completely dependant of older or injury prone players like Prestia, Dusty, Lambert, Cotchin & Jack. Our results are improving but unsure if our future is. Baker down back is a beast, 12 contested possessions, 20 pressure acts - 10 in the defensive half with over 300 MG's + 7 tackles- the guys is a legit 2 way machine. So much better down back than up forward, this also allowed Dan to spend more time up the field as noted by his 3 scoring shots + 8 score involvements, the 3rd highest on our team.

The backline is still insanely leaky and unreliable. Its a massive concern to me that even with us smashing the clearance and midfield battle. How we can let a bunch of kids get a score every >2 times in their forward 50 while getting a whopping 55% efficiency should have alarm bells sounding off, a good team will beat us by 100 at some point i feel. It completely debunks all the horseshit that this was happening purely due to our midfield lacking work rate pushing back - the problem is CLEARLY a breakdown in our backline system. It is not working & once we play a better, more experienced team it will show.

Best quite easily for me - Prestia, Baker, Dusty, Bolton, Lynch, Toby

Still not seeing any reason to think we are better than 7th-12th - we. are only beating teams that are loaded up with kids, or completely our of confidence. Based on that, i expect us to take care of the Bombers who definitely have a "lil of Column A, a lil of Column B" in that area.

With Balta likely out i would be probably brining in Tarrant & Gibcus. Tarrant is slow and not ideal, but will be needed against Peter Wright. Without Balta we run the risk of him kicking a bag. A part of me whats to roll the dice and allow Biggy a crack at him instead, give the kids a boast in his development

A balanced post but we can only beat who is in front of us. Melbourne in their first 8 games have only beaten 1 top 8 side and that was the Saints. Tomorrow they play the eagles, and next week they play north. So that's 10 games and only one top 8 side played. When they beat us we weren't top 8 only made the top 8 last week after beating the pies.

We left a couple of games on the table that we could've won. Round 1, we gifted Carlton 4 goals by 50-meter penalties and lost Prestia end of the first quarter. That's the game right there. Against the saints we were 25 up at the end of the 3rd quarter and we lost grimes and king gets off the leash. Let's not forget that we had dusty, prestia, vlustuin, jack and lambert out that night. The crows in RD 5, once we hit the front towards the end of the 3rd qtr they then received the next 12 frees straight, 33 to 13 overall, enough said.

It wasn't until RD 7 V Eagles that we made some changes, Balta and Baker to the backline, shorty to the midfield, Added in a small pressure player Maurice Junior and we looked a hell of a lot better. Plus many of our injured players were coming back into the side. I must also say we are so much more attacking (2nd highest-scoring team only behind the Lions). We seemed to have found our mojo again and our pressure seems to have come back.

Richmond at full strength I don't fear any team!

Yeah that's true. Makes me think we're more of a 5-8 side and a rung below the top 4 because we just can't control the game for a full 4 quarters like we used to. Well, the West Coast and GWS game aside.

I love how offensive we are though. The only time we scored more than our current 899 points in the first 9 rounds since 2013 was 2018.

Maybe that’s the play. Take a more offensive game, knowing that we can’t beat Melbourne in a defensive arm wrestle.

Tetley Tiger

Mate TBH, Dimma was out coached by Mitchell today. He came in with a plan that almost rolled us.

Our top end is streets ahead of theirs, the fact they were in the game until the end is a worry

What game were you watching? From 5 minutes into the second quarter until halfway through the last we outscored them by about 55-points. Inside-50’s in that 70 minutes of footy was about 40-14. Then inexplicably at 5-goals up we took our foot off the gas. When Castagna was not paid a clear mark to take the margin back to over 5-goals to ice the game you just knew the game would become tight…. umpires were going to do their best to keep it interesting. The Hawks made the scoreboard look respectable in a game that for majority they were absolutely dominated.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A balanced post but we can only beat who is in front of us. Melbourne in their first 8 games have only beaten 1 top 8 side and that was the Saints. Tomorrow they play the eagles, and next week they play north. So that's 10 games and only one top 8 side played. When they beat us we weren't top 8 only made the top 8 last week after beating the pies.

We left a couple of games on the table that we could've won. Round 1, we gifted Carlton 4 goals by 50-meter penalties and lost Prestia end of the first quarter. That's the game right there. Against the saints we were 25 up at the end of the 3rd quarter and we lost grimes and king gets off the leash. Let's not forget that we had dusty, prestia, vlustuin, jack and lambert out that night. The crows in RD 5, once we hit the front towards the end of the 3rd qtr they then received the next 12 frees straight, 33 to 13 overall, enough said.

It wasn't until RD 7 V Eagles that we made some changes, Balta and Baker to the backline, shorty to the midfield, Added in a small pressure player Maurice Junior and we looked a hell of a lot better. Plus many of our injured players were coming back into the side. I must also say we are so much more attacking (2nd highest-scoring team only behind the Lions). We seemed to have found our mojo again and our pressure seems to have come back.

Richmond at full strength I don't fear any team!

This is all true but the reality is we have played 3 top 8 teams and lost to all of them, and played 6 bottom 8 teams and lost to 1.

Melbourne have won all their games and never looked like losing a game. The quality of their football is undeniably better than ours by a country mile.

It's a nice thing to see us winning most of the games we should be winning, but we are doing it purely on the back of older players & the reality is i think our ceiling is around 7th - maybe as high as 5th if other teams collapse.

The teams i look at that are the real test for us is Brisbane, Sydney, Geelong, Freo & Port. This year their is more "bad teams" than good, lots of teams are pumping the kids more than normal this year - playing 10+ kids under 23

So far our record is 0/1 against the elite (Melb) 1 out of 3 against "50/50 " ( Dogs, Blues, Saints) & 4/5 against "Should wins" ( Adl, GWS, Pies, Hawks, Eagles).

Our remaining games a

1 vs Elite (Brisbane)
6 vs 50/50 (Port, Freo, Blues, Swans(away) Port(away), Cats
6 vs "should wins" ( Bombers, Suns (away) Norf, Hawks, Eagles, Bombers )

If i had to bet i would say we are likely to win 6 to 7 of these - putting us on 11 or 12 wins which is dead smack on 11th to 7th mark based on the past decade. One element we do have playing in our favour is that we only have 3 games away & only 1 of them is to a higher end 50/50 team in the Swans, while the other 2 are to borderline "50/50-should wins" Port & Suns

I did a similar estimate like this last season in the now infamous "Top 4" thread around this same time of the season - i estimated we were a massive chance to miss the finals, and likely would finish 8th & top 4 was a near impossibility sighting that if we were to take in the "likely to falter" factor, all signs pointed to us being the team to likely falter worst. Got widely attacked over it, but it was fairly spot on - if anything i overestimated our final falling spot.

I think our chances of completely faltering like last year is far less - but i also think our opportunity to be a bolter is far less too as we are not seeing tremendous growth out of or younger players - the performances are coming off the back of known quantities, who have linear declining from over the past few years due to age - but also because these players are at a higher risk of sustaining injuries. Our biggest variable to finish stronger than expect is Dusty going full god mode, which is quite possible

Last edited:
Second side for me Thx to the misses. Sad but I've watched more tigers than Pies games over the past 5 years due to your successful premiership campaigns.
Besides I want to eat tonight and the couch sucks ;)
Did anybody else read this the way i did ?

Or am i the only person here with a dirty mind

Nice to get a win again. Dion Prestia & Toby drove the win with 16 clearances between them & as i have said before, our fate will almost entirely be driven on how well we can compete in that area. In games like today where the opponent field an entire Ruck, Followers, midfield & wings of kids - we should always win easily. This week was another example as well that no team has relied on its 1 superstar more than we have with Dusty. The guy was a gift from god.

The goals we leaked to nearly lose it at the end were a definite downer to the game & overall, much like last week - it was a game we should definitely be winning without any trouble - the Hawks had ELEVEN players 23 or under to our 3, including their entire midfield fleet. That along with them losing Gunston early in the game - we really should have won by far, far more.
are you as envious of Hawks as you are of Collingwood ?

Does Stack have the tank or discipine to go down back when need ala what George does?

George might be prepared to run down there but he doesnt seem to do anything down there.

I dont want to see people hate George as he deserves to be loved for his role in premierships but he is being hung out to dry by being picked.

Rioli gets the chance to learn his craft in the VFL and his career is saved. Give George some VFL for his own sake. He must be dispirited himself by his lack of contribution. Our players try to get him into the game but he cant take those opportunities.

If Stack plays well against Box Hill then with dreamtime it would be the perfect game to at least replace George for a week and to see if we lose what Dimma feels he gives the team. The indigenous boys will be fired up for this game and they would be great encouragement for him.

Dont hate George at all. Just see us losing a game we should win by playing a guy you can put money on that he will do very little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course Kane Cornes thinks Lynch gets a week for a high elbow fend off with the ball in hand 🤦‍♂️

Not even fine worthy but the hawk was unlucky the ump missed the free

Like to see debutants get a 2 game block if possible. Unless a senior is coming back to replace them. Unless Balta has a hammy miracle Biggy gets another crack for mine.
Also like to see all of our Aboriginal stars in dreamtime if they are close enough.

In: Gibcus, Edwards, Stack
Out: Balta.
Not sure who else for outs. Castagna was toilet first half but ended up with 14 touches and the sealer. So find two players who need to be managed or are H&S protocol. If George out and fit he can be the sub.
Ralfsmith could be up for consideration but doubt we'll see him.

Did someone just say we’re still relying on our older players? Lol

I think this season has shown it’s our next tier who are driving performance improvement by stepping up, players like nank, Bolton, Balta, Baker, Short, Rioli, Soldo. We need Prestia, Vlastuin, Lynch Dusty and Grimes on the park as key pillars to support them. None of them are past their used by date

we’re not relying on edwards, cotch, Lambert and Reiwoldt to play out of the box anymore, we just want them to play a role and contribute. Add a spattering of kids like Gibcus, Hugo, Dow, junior etc aong with the role players and we’re starting to find a pretty good balance

Last edited:
Of course Kane Cornes thinks Lynch gets a week for a high elbow fend off with the ball in hand 🤦‍♂️

Not even fine worthy but the hawk was unlucky the ump missed the free
In fairness Kornes is a ******* with his brain painted on

free kick 24-12 and about 5 in junktime to us
Seen a few of these posts from tigers fans. Richmond came out playing the man. It impacts the free kick count.
Umpires provably missed 3 or 4 to the tigers over the course of the game, but it wasn't this biased level of only paying things one way. After quarter time it was 8 frees to hawks, 10 to Richmond as well

We are leaking way too many easy goals to be a genuine challenger. Can we tighten that up?

The answer to that question will determine our seasons fortunes. It’s clear as day that’s our Achilles heel atm, we saw it yesterday, saw it last week against the pies and I believe that opposition percentage of scoring per inside 50 against us, is the highest or top 2/3 in the comp with north and Eagles. Our work rate and hustle is phenomenal but you can’t keep giving the opposition cheapies against the run of play which then gives them Momentum, it’s deflating!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back