Preview Round 18 v North Melbourne Marvel Stadium Sat 16th July 4.35 SONSIE Debuts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good changes all things considered. Gibcus will go back to allow Miller to play second ruck and Balta up front to keep the forward structure intact. Or at least looking like it's intact. I was pleasantly surprised and I certainly didn't think both Castagna and Aarts would be dropped and the fact that they were, and so quickly, leads me to think that it might have been the last chance for both of them.

Young Maurice will be back in the side before them.
So true, theres only two definite changes I'd make from this side now till going into finals and thats Martin & Lynch in, Miller & Sonsie out. Then you just make the decision on Gibcus v Soldo and Cumberland v MRJ depending on matchups/form. If we can just keep this side somewhat in tact till finals.

From 3 pressure forwards to none - our backline will be hoping the forwards are marking everything otherwise its going to be going the other way in a hurry, a lot
According to a poster earlier in the week, Cumberland had one less pressure act than George last week with 10% less game time. This pressure act thing is so over blown. Cumberland is naturally aggressive so will hunt the ball and the man, but has natural footy smarts to boot. Aarts is too slow to put any real pressure on and MRJ for all his running and pressuring has only laid 7 tackles in the last 4 games, so not really affecting things too much.

Bloody hilarious, we worked out that we were a better team with Balta and Baker in the backline and bringing back small pressure forwards we win 7 of the next 10 games, with the Total losing margin of 11 points for the 3 losses...

and just because we lose both our ruckman to injury and we fall over we throw the baby out with the bath water and go back to the team structure that didnt work in the first 6 weeks

Amazing how logical decision making goes out the window when people are embarrassed and that was an embarrassing loss to the Suns
Whilst long term I think Balta needs to be a backman, do we have much choice atm?

I don't mind Baker going forward again. We have an oversupply of small defenders (and Rioli and Ralphsmith are both in good form) and we've played and dropped every single small forward on the list this year. I think he's needed more in the front half atm.

Pressure is more than just chasing after a defender once he's got the ball. What also needs to happen is closing down outlet space, forcing players to take a 'non-perferred' exit out of the backline etc. MRJ was very good at chasing after someone (didn't catch many though), but he rarely applies pressure that causes a turnover. And as pointed out, he's not very good at getting the ball.

Rapt to have another debutant in Sons - but I'm genuinely afraid that if he doesn't get 41 touches, kicks 7.0, and lays 53 tackles he'll be written off in this forum and be forever known as 'Tyler the Plodder'
Will be dropped for George next week

Rapt to have another debutant in Sons - but I'm genuinely afraid that if he doesn't get 41 touches, kicks 7.0, and lays 53 tackles he'll be written off in this forum and be forever known as 'Tyler the Plodder'

Marisa Tomei Movie GIF

On the flip side if he gets 18 lays 2-5 tackles kicks 1-2 goals the likes of RCD Dow Ross will all be labelled as complete busts given a first year came in and did better than them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not like we’ve selected 4 fat blokes who stay in the goalsquare. These guys will chase and pressure. Even Graham who isn’t lightning quick had our second most pressure acts last week.

Nothing puts pressure on the opposition like scoring goals.

We’ve been playing with one forward That is a reliable shot at goal, Riewoldt.

Lynch is Richo-like.
Bolton is a flip of the coin and can miss the odd sitter.

MRJ, Costagna and Aarts are not scoreboard threats.

We don’t need three pressure small forwards that can’t score or play another position.
One will work back into the side at some point and I hope it’s MRJ

Meatball was average last week, still feeling some effects of the concussion I guess...

Back him in for a dominant display this week.

He will never be the same, same as Vlastuin when the clanger king took him out

Meatball was average last week, still feeling some effects of the concussion I guess...

Back him in for a dominant display this week.

Spot on! First game back for concussion victims are nearly always below average. Stewart knocking out Prestia cost us the Cats game and the GC game, as we win that with Prestia firing on all cylinders.

We need to make sure Tommy’s cowardly hit is not forgotten next time we meet, hopefully in a final.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Its been said 100 times already but I'm so wrapped with the response from Dimma and the selection panel with the ins and outs this week. It shows me that they are seeing things the same way we are. I thought Castagna and Aarts games were deplorable and that if you continue to not take your chances in front of goal as forwards, you're out. I appreciate that the role of the samll forward is a complex and often unrewarding one but if you do not generate the pressure and opportunity for others either, I say that you've run your race.

The only omission of all of the outs that I'm torn on, is MRJ. Even though statistically he seems off the pace, he creates goal after goal through his pressure. The crowd buys into it and in the end the defenders absolutely crap the bed every time he is anywhere near.

I want to give Cummerland (sp?) a chance. From the brief snapshot I saw though, he's not defensively minded. He might get the goals himself but may not create goals for others. I'm happy to hold my opinion on him though for at least a few more games.

Having Nank back in the team doesn't seem possible for me. He was out with a PCL ffs! If he actually does play this week, it will be an amazing turn about. He means so much to the team especially now that Soldo is out.

I like seeing Balta rotating through the middle as the second ruck and up forward. I think it suits his game but then, so does the backline. Gibcus can play forward but is never going to be able to our wrestle an opponent so will need to get them on the move. Tough gig for a first year player.

I'm excited to see Sonsie play. I've seen enough of him at VFL level to not be expecting the world from him but he deserves his shot. I have high expectations on him moving forward though. I really think he has the skill set to become a star for us.

The biggest in's for mine though is Vlaustin and our spiritual captain - Cotch. They add so much to the team and everyone walks taller with them by their side. We will not lose against the Roo's with them in the team - not even a chance. So be prepared for an almighty smashing on our behalf and another week of bemoaning North's terrible list. I beat Dusty's happy he never went there now!!

Btw - what the hell is with all these drop down ads on Big Footy atm. Now they're inserting them in between posts?! I'm all for sponsorhip and advenrtising revenue to keep the site rolling but this is starting to get invasive and is affecting the functionality of the forum. Has anyone else noticed?

Last edited:
Bloody North switching coaches on us again.

We have been playing good footy in patches, bad in others. I feel we're on a cliff at the moment, similar to this time last season. Let's hope we get a strong win this week and some much needed confidence.

Regardless, they ain't much chop North and I am confident we will beat them.

This season is nothing compared to last season. We are the 2nd highest scoring team (2nd to lions), we have won the 2nd most quarters (2nd to melb). No 1 for forward half pressure, No 1 for forward half scores. No 3 with the ball and no 5 without the ball for pressure.

Those 3 losses to swans, cats and suns in all honesty we should have won and thus being equal top of the ladder. That's what I look at 7 wins from the last 10 and the 3 losses combined losing margin is 11 points.

Our ins this week are very strong. Still have Lynch and Dusty to come back in a week or 2.

Last edited:
I can’t wait to see Sonsie in the forwardline

Having him alongside Baker and Bolton is going to be awesome viewing!

Having someone who can actually finish around goals instead of Aarts and Castagna is going to be a great feeling

I’m hoping he can nail a spot for the rest of the year
Genuinely excited!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back