AFLW AFLW Round 3 - 2022 Season Seven

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done Pies, weathered the storm. Some really skillful kicks in the team, and big ones too.

Bad luck Catters! The girls are tough as nails, and put in 100% again. Could have gone either way in the end. Really proud of how they put their bodies on the line in the contest.

Yeeep go and * yourself, Dan Lowther lol. The club bends over backwards with their balls in a knot to try luring the hottest talent from SA, WA & QLD... can they really be happy with such a talentless brand of football.

They lose their spearhead, plus another young key forward, but they get Melbourne's all-time leading goalkicker (Melbourne, not some dud team) and then play her in the backpocket. The AFL should step in and sack this idiot if the Cats don't.

Of course that won't happen, cos some things never change. Like Stacey Livingstone crumbling under pressure late in a game, very reminiscent of the prelim vs Brisbane in 2021. On the other hand, stand and applaud the coming-of-age of Jordyn Allen, who was a walking brainfade just last season.
Geeze you're a miserable campaigner.

The truth hurts (or so it would seem). But so does watching so much talent being wasted by bad coaching.

I wonder if anybody can join the dots:

Brisbane, despite being a genuine contender in their early seasons, play clogball crap and it's soon followed by a mass exodus.

Then in 2022, they start playing proper attacking football and--despite not even making the grand final--manage to retain their best 21 in pretty much its entirety.

Moral of the story is players don't like dealing with hero coaches draining the life out of the game.

If we get many more of these games, the league may be forced to send out another sternly worded memo.
At this point of Gill's tenure, a memo to some of these coaches shouldn't be any less stern than:

Dear Bald and/or Old arsehole,

It has come to my attention that you are being an incompetent jerk. I hereby order you rectify the situation via the following steps:

1. Try this new thing called one-on-one football
2. Put your captain and/or best players in their natural positions
3. Remember that ugly congested footy always comes unstuck later in the season
4. Stop blaming the players' "execution" and "work rate"--it's YOUR game plan that sucks

In return, I promise my successor will be as excited about improving key conditions of AFLW (like fixturing, umpiring and equalisation) as I was... about dancing with Delta Goodrem.

Sincerely,
Gillon "4.5 Bill'n" McLachlan

The truth hurts (or so it would seem). But so does watching so much talent being wasted by bad coaching.

I wonder if anybody can join the dots:

Brisbane, despite being a genuine contender in their early seasons, play clogball crap and it's soon followed by a mass exodus.

Then in 2022, they start playing proper attacking football and--despite not even making the grand final--manage to retain their best 21 in pretty much its entirety.

Moral of the story is players don't like dealing with hero coaches draining the life out of the game.
Lowther wasn't the coach that positioned extra players behind the ball after half time - finishing with both winger's and a third camped down there for the entire last quarter.

It's like you didn't watch the game, or any of the Cats games. Opposition find it difficult to score because the Cats are a contested possession side that wins the ball at stoppages. Their defence is rock solid and will make it difficult for any team to score. Not because they drag opposition teams down, because they beat them in the air and on the ground.

At this point of Gill's tenure, a memo to some of these coaches shouldn't be any less stern than:

Dear Bald and/or Old arsehole,

It has come to my attention that you are being an incompetent jerk. I hereby order you rectify the situation via the following steps:

1. Try this new thing called one-on-one football
2. Put your captain and/or best players in their natural positions
3. Remember that ugly congested footy always comes unstuck later in the season
4. Stop blaming the players' "execution" and "work rate"--it's YOUR game plan that sucks

In return, I promise my successor will be as excited about improving key conditions of AFLW (like fixturing, umpiring and equalisation) as I was... about dancing with Delta Goodrem.

Sincerely,
Gillon "4.5 Bill'n" McLachlan
That's just a copy-paste of the memo he sent to Siekman, I believe.

Can Port sustain this intensity lift that has got them to a two-goal lead halfway through? Can Carlton eke out a win despite conceding a bunch of goals in quick succession against one of the new teams? Questions asked in previous weeks, arising yet again today!

"Those sort of things keep lingering in your mind" says Chyloe of last week's injury at Alberton. Yeah, especially if you keep bringing it up!

Man oh man De Melo with just one behind from two shots late in the quarter that, well, she obviously backed herself in to kick.

if im Vescio im staying as far away as possible from McWilliams... talk about being burnt that was horrendous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if im Vescio im staying as far away as possible from McWilliams... talk about being burnt that was horre

Can she kick that long on her wrong side? The decision to draw and handball wasnt the worst, just missed target and got shocking bounce.

Also had to be tight for a 50 on last play, whistle had clearly gone, then Port let that ball run close to the goal line after the siren. Good finish.

Some staggering blunders late. Vescio didn't even have to kick it to McWilliams, just mung it end-over-end for a behind = win. Basically the same lack of awareness that ended Carlton men's season.

Moody went off the field with, what, 2 minutes left on the clock? That's the same thing that cost the Carlton women's team in 2021 when Fremantle pulled off that comeback via Houghton and co.

did I miss something about Port not wearing an Indigenous jumper?
It would've been even clashier. It's really Indigenous Rounds, so they'll wear theirs next weekend.

West, Purcell, Mithen and Hore might have just bought their own ball out there. Demons are also just sharking the Saints Ruck as they please.

Kelli Underwood, an All-Australian selector, thinks "Bodey Wardlaw" is one player. Lest there be any doubt about how Greta missed the team last season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back