NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
Christ when I said I wonder what the next round of excuses would be I didn't expect to see them all in a single post.
How is that an excuse I’m saying they could be 100% guilty. But I want to see everything that’s found. Why do people with your mentality need to force your opinion on the world. Saying people are guilty because of something alleged is as prejudice as anything. For years whenever someone accused someone of fame of doing something bad to them society would victim blame. Now it seems to be the other way round the moment someone gets accused of something they are instantly guilty. How hard as it to wait till you have all the information. I could be sitting here in 2 months or however long it takes and be of the opinion that you have.

AFL will never proactively allow loss of control of the outcome.
Actively I agree, however if these accusations are underrepresented at the Hawks and the tip of the iceberg across the AFL, key stakeholders within the indigenous community and government will force an inquiry.

This thread has taught me that there are so many incredibly good people on Big Footy who have empathy and are willing to support those in need. They don’t victim bash. There are others who are measured and are prepared to wait before judging anyone which is also an admirable quality. There are a few though that have so much to learn and so far to go.
Racism still exists in Australia but racists never show until a minority is not willing to conform. It is then that racism becomes apparent.

A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The whistleblower coach, who is not Indigenous, “reached out’’ to the authors of the report who up to that point had only interviewed Indigenous people in order to corroborate parts of the testimonies from players and their partners.

“He went on to say Evans, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt operated the football department like The Russian Mafia,” the report said.

Wow.

Then Jon Ralph is a moron. They have told their side of the story.

The disaster would be forcing them to tell it again and having them self-harm as a result.

Insensitive, brain-dead comment.
As wrong as it is if they want justice they will have to tell their story again, and again and possibly again, it’s the way the legal system works and the AFL/North or Brisbane cannot jump the gun until it’s settled, people have the right to face their accuser.

As wrong as it is if they want justice they will have to tell their story again, and again and possibly again, it’s the way the legal system works and the AFL/North or Brisbane cannot jump the gun until it’s settled, people have the right to face their accuser.
They have told their story for the record. At this stage there isn’t a court of law to have anyone face their accuser. It’s Neely a review and now investigation.

No one has gotten charged from what we’ve been told they want AFL to act and get some change not any money etc.

I haven't really seen or read anything that suggests these people want justice.

They were asked to talk about their experiences, and they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Hawks coach, who the Herald Sun has chosen not to name, told the reviewers: “If you dare question their methods, you were frozen out.”

“I knew this day would come,’’ the insider told the authors, according to the report.

The whistleblower coach, who is not Indigenous, “reached out’’ to the authors of the report who up to that point had only interviewed Indigenous people in order to corroborate parts of the testimonies from players and their partners.

“He went on to say Evans, Clarkson, Fagan and Burt operated the football department like The Russian Mafia,” the report said.

Wow.

If both NewsCorp and the ABC are going around with these allegations, you know s*** is well and truly f***ed - and also backed by an army of lawyers.

The comments of the Hawthorn coach doesn’t seem to support the allegations contained in the report but rather seems to provide a general view of the behavior displayed by the management of the club. All we can do is wait for the outcome of the independent investigation and go from there.

The comments of the Hawthorn coach doesn’t seem to support the allegations contained in the report but rather seems to provide a general view of the behavior displayed by the management of the club. All we can do is wait for the outcome of the independent investigation and go from there.

Do you know what the word “corroborate” means?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Do you know what the word “corroborate” means?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes I do know what it means. It just may be the way I read the article and I may have misinterpreted. To me There are two parts to the story 1) the allegations from the players which have been corroborated and 2) the views of the coach which gives a general view of the club at the time. That’s my interpretation and I could be completely wrong hence why I await the results of the investigation.

Yes I do know what it means. It just may be the way I read the article and I may have misinterpreted. To me There are two parts to the story 1) the allegations from the players which have been corroborated and 2) the views of the coach which gives a general view of the club at the time. That’s my interpretation and I could be completely wrong hence why I await the results of the investigation.

Although this anonymous staff member may not have been able to corroborate the specific events relating to the three indigenous players, he certainly could corroborate the culture or pattern of behaviour from the staff.

In any event the investigation is still ongoing but you'd expect more to leak over time.

OK I am having difficulties following the trail here.

Are the testimonies mentioned above from the Hawthorn report ? I thought the Hawthorn report was confidential so what exactly are they corroborating or partly corroborating :think:

OK I am having difficulties following the trail here.

Are the testimonies mentioned above from the Hawthorn report ? I thought the Hawthorn report was confidential so what exactly are they corroborating or partly corroborating :think:

The Hawthorn external investigation was commissioned by Hawthorn themselves after the Cyril Rioli controversy last year - there is no doubt everyone at Hawthorn was aware of the investigation and I'd assume the whistleblower took the opportunity to contribute even thought he wasn't asked. The testimonies are from the external investigation.

I sincerely hope there is some more first hand evidence than that provided in the leaked draft report.

3 partners would be enough to dig deeper but not to hang anyone. 3 partners, a player, and an assistant coach is getting closer to 'let's get out the noose' time.

noting that this was an internal report. The club thought there could be something there, there are multiple accounts suggesting there is something there. That should be enough to report on especially when the allegations were put to the people involved with offers of delaying the publication.

Going to preface this with the fact that I don’t want people to name this person but I feel like the following information cannot be ignored.

There’s an article in the public domain published about a Hawthorn players life that lines up precisely with both the personal family situations and the club timeline at Hawthorn of one of those leaked accounts in the HS.

However in this article printed after he has been delisted from Hawthorn, the player references the Club support network doing what they could for him while playing and then specifically names Clarkson and Burt as doing a lot for him, having faith in him and being his friends for life.

There’s further detail about the work that Hawthorn did for this guy even after he left the club and he goes on to credit the Hawthorn support network and the mentor they offered to support him for putting him in a very happy place after footy.

Public interest didn't stop Porter from suing.

Didn't mean they will win but it's another way to try and silence victims, take away the media

Well, not really, it’s actually the law.

In a defamation suit, it will be incumbent upon the ABC to prove every accusation within that article was true.

Based on some of the wording like “forcibly removed” etc I imagine that’s not going to be easy

It’s not incumbent upon Clarkson to disprove the allegations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back