Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Well it really cancels it out - if we were going to take Wardlaw or Sheezel at 1 and we get them at 3 then it is a non event.
In general I agree with this. Draft picks are irrelevant. It's the players you actually get with those picks that matter.

That said, I am amazed that North apparently don't want Cadman. I was amazed when they didn't want Logan McDonald over Will Phillips too. Opportunities to get elite KPF's are as rare as hen's teeth, but North have blown two of them.

What if JH-F struggles again next season and Port finish bottom 6 again (ish) ?

Probably unlikely, but still a possibility.

Not prepared to call Port big winners yet, that's why it's almost impossible to judge trades involving future picks until at least a year or two down the track.
Ultimately you can't really call any of these trades until 15, 20 years down the track when all the players are retired. North might've just given away a future Brownlow and Norm Smith medalist, or they might given away a player that plays 6 more games. Port / West Coast / GWS could've done the same. No way to know.

In the now though, Port managed to extract the two players they wanted whilst using the picks they were happy to give up, and without having to lose a player because of it, which many were saying was a necessity. It's hard to argue that, at this stage, they haven't won for now.

Still can't believe they sold the farm to get a kid who hasn't really shown anything that stands out.

They've done well though, good on them.

Ultimately you can't really call any of these trades until 15, 20 years down the track when all the players are retired. North might've just given away a future Brownlow and Norm Smith medalist, or they might given away a player that plays 6 more games. Port / West Coast / GWS could've done the same. No way to know.

In the now though, Port managed to extract the two players they wanted whilst using the picks they were happy to give up, and without having to lose a player because of it, which many were saying was a necessity. It's hard to argue that, at this stage, they haven't won for now.

Agreed, by the same token I don't see why so many are prepared to write North off as massive losers.

They use their picks right (this year and next),they could really set a very solid foundation for their future.

Poor old Jase will be booed in front of 37 fans when they play in Melbourne.
We usually have more fans in Melbourne when we play them anyway. Or at least louder ones. So he wont feel too bad playing there.

In general I agree with this. Draft picks are irrelevant. It's the players you actually get with those picks that matter.

That said, I am amazed that North apparently don't want Cadman. I was amazed when they didn't want Logan McDonald over Will Phillips too. Opportunities to get elite KPF's are as rare as hen's teeth, but North have blown two of them.
Yeah but this time they're passing off the KPF for two mids instead of just the one. Its far less daft than skipping out on the key forward last year.

And GWS paying the price for getting prime position for the best Non-Vic Metro kid. Pick 3 otherwise they had to take a Vic Metro kid, or stretch for someone outside of the acknowledged top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor old Jase will be booed in front of 37 fans when they play in Melbourne.

He'll soon forget when he hears the thunderous applause of 37 fans when they play in Adelaide

Which player did Port give up? Butters? Duursma? Gregoriades?

I swear I read about how the deal wouldn't go through unless North got established talent.. it's not like North fans to be wrong.
North fans weren't the only ones running with that narrative, the AFL Media (lol I know it's a joke too) ran with this narrative since the JHF news dropped. It's a credit to Port for being able to get the deal done without players but there's no need to be a dick.

All jokes aside and all that’s been said on here the past week, massive respect to North as a club and Rawlings.

Many clubs in this situation would have flat out refused to engage from day 1. Instead it seems they remained open and willing to continue discussions until they got an offer they were happy with.

Respect to North.
I think North were wanting to put the whole JHF drama and carry on behind them and move on

Not going to sugar coat it so...

Well played Port, A+, effort. Absolutely got a steal in this.

North truely showing what a s**t show they are in trade week, maybe they will take something out of being taken but I doubt it.

Totally ashamed of this effort and result for them.

Will watch from the cellar for the next 10 years as you reap the benefits of this deal.

Only North could manage to even stuff up finishing last 2 years in a row.

Let me great this straight....

North essentially traded out 2021 pick 1 (in contract), 2022 pick 1.

For

2022 pick 2 and 3, a future 1st (could be 14+) and some junk picks.....

They have essentially downgraded pick 1's for a future 1st.

Have I read this correctly?

Well played Port. Congrats.

I feel nauseous.
Yes Port have done extremely well here but the other two teams getting involved here have made a serious contribution to the ledger looking so much in Port's favour. For what it's worth I think North got very close to the best from this situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back